• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sorry Boys, the Draft Begins at #4

jaywalker72

Sorry Boys, the Draft Begins at #4

To some, there are no clear cut choices after the first two picks in the draft. Those are the people who say the draft begins after Greg Oden and Kevin Durant take their photo opportunities. What the Atlanta Hawks do at #3, if they keep the pick which I have already advocated that they do, is said to set off the rest off the draft.

I think to some degree that is true in that the Hawks have been so off the wall in their selections over the years, especially near the top of the draft, that nobody knows where the draft will pick up when the Hawks are done with their announcement. You see, the rest of the NBA knows how things stack up, but they can’t tell what might happen because nobody knows who the Hawks will pick. So what they mean is that the draft really begins after the Hawks make their “wacky” pick.

Well, good news Hawks fans, because the Hawks have asked for my opinion (editor’s note: quit dreaming) and I will pick the guy that every scout believes is the third best player in this draft and the guy who is the no-brainer pick of most GMs in the league.

It’s a player that the Hawks sorely need and the player the Grizzlies would most certainly pick to replace Pau Gasol if he is dealt for that pick.

It’s a player that can play with his back to the basket in the post, face up and score, and also go to the basket with good ball handling skills. All of these are skill sets on offense that the Hawks are desperate for.

It’s a player that can defend his position in the post as well, has excellent shot blocking instincts, shows great energy and passion while staying mentally in the right place at all times.

He is a tenacious rebounder, a proven leader, and a coach’s pet. He is everything you would want a big man to be on any level, especially on the professional level. He is a proven winner and he has played through injury and through tremendous expectations.

He has every single skill set the Hawks are begging for in a frontcourt player, a skill set that has not been present since…..well, the Hawks haven’t had someone this talented in their post in quite some time.

Al Horford.

I know he isn’t the sexy uber-player, but neither is Carlos Boozer.

I know that because of his fundamentally sound, NBA ready demeanor he brings the fear of Sheldon Williams to Hawks fans. But he is nothing like Sheldon. He can score facing the basket. He can create. He does demand the ball in the post. Put Horford together with a point guard (hello pick #11) and with a weapon like Johnson from the outside, and an attacking Smith and Childress cutting the lanes and the Hawks are getting somewhere.

Horford has great hands and showed his dominance over his teammates at Florida. No, the stats don’t scream at you like Durant’s did, but his play sure did. He shared the ball, he defended, he scored, he did everything at a championship level. Yes, Noah got all the love during the Gators first run, and Brewer during the second run, but it was Horford that all the team pointed to as the top dog on the top team.

The rest of the NBA is just waiting for the Hawks to pass on Al so that the real rest of the draft can start. The Grizzlies are ready to take Horford as the beginning of that draft, willing to do so to replace their shopped around “star” Gasol. It says right here that while Gasol’s defense has been questioned, as has his passion for the game, Horford’s is unquestioned, which is why Memphis is ready to make such a move.

So why wouldn’t the Hawks? He fits a glaring, glaring need---a post presence on both ends. He is a poster boy for playing the game the right way and has the mental makeup to be a true difference maker in the NBA.

So with the 3rd pick in the 2007 NBA Draft, this GM takes Al Horford, as would most GMs in the league.

Now let the rest of the draft begin.

Hell yeah the pick should be Horford! He was more productive than any other player in the NCAA this year, including Oden and Durant (not saying he's a better player, just saying that statistically, he had a better season).

I really hope we can pick up Conley, maybe move up from 11, but not at 3 and not with a player like Horford still on the board. The prospect of taking Yi just scares the hell out of me.

Quote:

I watched enough Florida games to say that Brewer was by far the best all around player on that team. Let's draft him.

Perhaps you only followed the tournament.

I would take back the comment about the 3rd pick being a win-win no matter who we pick if we take Brewer.

Brewer makes Josh Smith look like he has handles in the open court.

Not to mention that would be an absurd pick considering he is not even close to a post player.

I for one would actually be cool with either Horford or Yi.

Horford or Yi + conley (if he falls)/law/crit/jack(trade)/ridnour(trade)

A combo of something like that is what Im looking for.

I think both Yi and Horford are going to be quality 4/5s in the league, but also think that Yi has a higher ceiling.

At the same time, Horford`s athleticism and ability to run the court would look nice on our team. Plus, he is a more physical presence for the paint, which is clearly something we need.

But, it`s on BK and the front office to make these hard decisions. Can Horford effectively play at the 5-spot? Can Yi? Who fits in better with our team, including whoever (pg) we take or trade for with the 11th pick?

Horford could very well fit in with our team, and could even play some 5.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He was the best player on one of the best NCAA championship teams in recent memory. I'm guessing he still would've looked pretty damn good.

I think you have ChristianLaettneritis!!

• Premium Member

I like Horford... but I don't see that great of a seperation between Horford and Shelden. Now, it may be true that the Grizz are looking for a talent like Horford, but that doesn't mean that we should be jumping at him. I think he has talent, but I don't think he has more talent and potential than Yi.

When you see a 7 footer with great speed, agility, offensive understanding, and footwork, you have to consider him strongly!!

Quote:

Hell yeah the pick should be Horford! He was more productive than any other player in the NCAA this year, including Oden and Durant (not saying he's a better player, just saying that statistically, he had a better season).

LOL sorry but 13/9 doesn't impress me. The last thing the Hawks need to do is waste another top 5 pick on a guy to back up Josh Smith at the 4.

Quote:

I for one would actually be cool with either Horford or Yi.

Horford or Yi + conley (if he falls)/law/crit/jack(trade)/ridnour(trade)

A combo of something like that is what Im looking for.

I think both Yi and Horford are going to be quality 4/5s in the league, but also think that Yi has a higher ceiling.

At the same time, Horford`s athleticism and ability to run the court would look nice on our team. Plus, he is a more physical presence for the paint, which is clearly something we need.

Ditto.

Horford or Yi.

But, it`s on BK and the front office to make these hard decisions. Can Horford effectively play at the 5-spot? Can Yi? Who fits in better with our team, including whoever (pg) we take or trade for with the 11th pick?

Horford could very well fit in with our team, and could even play some 5.

• Premium Member

Jay, you have hit the nail on the head brother. Horford shopuld be the pick period as you described his credentials in detail.

This Gasol talk is crazy. Gasol plays absolutely NO defense and is lazy. I get the memphis game swhere I live and they wanty to run him out of town, WHY???????

It was be the biggest mistake BK has made if we bring in Gasol, and will be the final nail that gets BK fired.

the Hawks problem is we need a 5 and a 1. no points worth the #3 pick so you have to think we use the #11 for one..

so that leaves the #3 to fill our defensive center need. there are only two players in the draft rated that high that are CLOSE to a 5 and that's Horford and Yi...but again both are a stretch/risk to try to play at the 5 so in any case we are at risk again....

so no matter what happens, unless we trade the pick, we are going to be getting a forward that we HOPE can play center. might as well get used to it i guess but it still makes me uneasy...i don't know i'm torn....horford is the strong guy who could be amare-esque for us....i'm thinking that okur plays center so yi might be able to also...

Quote:

smirk.gif

All I will say is that the Grizz scouts have equated Horford to the 2nd coming of Karl Malone. If anyone thinks Horford and Williams are similar players, they are missing the foot work. Horford's feet are quicker and he is longer.

You mean those same Grizz scouts who picked Big Country? No thanks.