• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's this nonsense about Yi not wanted Atlanta?

mrhonline

Most of the so called journalists out there don't even want to report that the Hawks went to see Yi Jianlian workout in LA. They will report on Boston, Chicago, and Sacramento going to watch him, but they refuse to report that Atlanta took a contingency that consisted of Billy Knight, Gary Fitzsimmons, Mike Woodson, and maybe a player or two to see Yi workout.

from what i read, the chinese gov. would prefer a west coast team, though if he didn't want atlanta, he wouldn't have done a private workout for billy and company. nor would have the hawks contingent met enmass at the workout and met with his agent and reps from his government. he's not going to work out for anyone, so if he and the chinese machine behind him didn't want him here at all, they wouldn't have him work out for atl.

• Premium Member

I think if Yi didn't want to play in Atlanta, he would not have worked out for us. I have heard him say " I just want to play in the NBA.". I don't think location is extremely important to him or Fagen.

2 sides of the coin:

1. Indeed why would he work out with us unless he just wants to play in the NBA. We have the #3 pick and the best chance at picking him (unless Port/Sea goes against the majority, which could happen). Plus playing in the East would give him more PT against smaller players and a better shot at the post season.

2. If I'm his agent, he's working out for the #3 even if I had not intention of him going there. Sun Tzu teaches mis-direction and the creation of illusion(sp). If those who want him bad enough, feel he will be going to the #3 the urgency must be created and crafted. If Yi and/or the Chinese Govn't just says, "No!" to Atlanta, then Yi's value goes down and he'll get picked lower. Remember the Chinese Govn't will get a large portion of Yi's money. So the higher the pick the more money. The more PT and playoffs the better the endorsements. Plus if I'm advising the Govn't I would want him in an enterprising area with room for tons of growth. The Chinese growth in Atl will increase with Yi here and some of that money will go back to China. The question is, does the Chinese Govn't want to plant a seed in old soil or virgin soil?

Also Atlanta is an international city. I don't think the Chinese government would be all that ticked about Yi playing in Atlanta. Remember there are a ton of corporate HQs here that do business with China daily.

The spin-off that we could see for the Hawks is Josh Smith might become a huge idol in China. His game is a ton of fun to watch and I think the international audience would love to see him and Yi passing, dunking and having fun together.

ok, even though i'm a noah fan..i like this yi guy. noah seems to be real impressed with him, and noah don't get easily impressed.

my analysis...

1.yi just wants to fulfill his dream of playing in the nba. doesn't matter where. if anything, i guess he would rate coaching and playing time above city location

2.his agent wants him to play in a big market with a huge asian population. it means more revenue, more exposure, more endorsement for yi...more money and clout for his agent.

3.his govt. wants him in big team preferably in a west coast city...so games can be seen at a reasonable time in china and big teams with lots of history like lakers, bulls and celtics means more international prestige for their player and china.

they and his agent may try to influence the draft by only allowing some teams to his workouts and hiding his measurements. skipping physical workouts in orlando isn't surprising ...they want to keep him a mystery so undesirable teams don't dare to draft him. but Why skip measurements? BECAUSE his measurements are off the charts! Why else hide them? He's not short and slow!!

final point, china aint gonna mess with any team who draft him.

my friend is a rockets fan and he said initially there was speculation yao won't be allowed to play for them but turn out it was all bs. china want everything to go smoothly, they don't wishto lose face over this. but they do want guarantees that yao return for national duties.

like euro players , nba teams have to negotiate with yi's former team for a buyout. and it takes time.

Quote:

ok, even though i'm a noah fan..i like this yi guy. noah seems to be real impressed with him, and noah don't get easily impressed.

my analysis...

1.yi just wants to fulfill his dream of playing in the nba. doesn't matter where. if anything, i guess he would rate coaching and playing time above city location

2.his agent wants him to play in a big market with a huge asian population. it means more revenue, more exposure, more endorsement for yi...more money and clout for his agent.

3.his govt. wants him in big team preferably in a west coast city...so games can be seen at a reasonable time in china and big teams with lots of history like lakers, bulls and celtics means more international prestige for their player and china.

they and his agent may try to influence the draft by only allowing some teams to his workouts and hiding his measurements. skipping physical workouts in orlando isn't surprising ...they want to keep him a mystery so undesirable teams don't dare to draft him. but Why skip measurements? BECAUSE his measurements are off the charts! Why else hide them? He's not short and slow!!

final point, china aint gonna mess with any team who draft him.

my friend is a rockets fan and he said initially there was speculation yao won't be allowed to play for them but turn out it was all bs. china want everything to go smoothly, they don't wishto lose face over this. but they do want guarantees that yao return for national duties.

like euro players , nba teams have to negotiate with yi's former team for a buyout. and it takes time.

Actually, if Yi plays on an East Coast team (US!), the game times would be much more reasonable than it would be if it was in California. I think China is 14 or 15 hours ahead of us, so if our games were at 7 PM, that means they'd see the games at 9 AM their time.

HOWEVER, if he played in Los Angeles for instance, there's about an 11 hour difference. So if games started at 7 PM Pacific team, people in China would see it at 6 AM or so.

Quote:

Actually, if Yi plays on an East Coast team (US!), the game times would be much more reasonable than it would be if it was in California. I think China is 14 or 15 hours ahead of us, so if our games were at 7 PM, that means they'd see the games at 9 AM their time.

HOWEVER, if he played in Los Angeles for instance, there's about an 11 hour difference. So if games started at 7 PM Pacific team, people in China would see it at 6 AM or so.

No. 7 PM in ATL is 8 AM in China. 7 PM in LA is 11 AM in China.

Oh woops I thought Cali was ahead of us 3 hours for a second LOL.

I don't even think the time plays a factor anyway.

They're going to and European franchises in the next 2 decades, so that would be more of a predicament time-wise than China's sitaution