• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yi Update---Ford Insider Blog

jaywalker72

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=ford_chad

• There is a battle brewing: Yi Jianlian's camp vs. the Bucks and the Timberwolves.

Yi's agent, Dan Fegan, has repeatedly refused to let Milwaukee or Minnesota come to Los Angeles to work Yi out. Neither team is in a big market, and neither city has a big Asian-American population. Furthermore, Yi isn't regarded as a great fit for either club.

But if the Celtics pass on Yi at No. 5, I've been told by multiple sources that the Bucks and Wolves would consider drafting him anyway. The Bucks have Yi ranked just below Al Horford and Mike Conley. If they're gone, the Bucks have been working behind the scenes to get Yi, according to what I'm told. The same holds true for the Wolves.

What would Yi do if the Bucks or Wolves drafted him? The word from his camp is that he'd likely demand a trade. Yi's contract is still owned by the Guangdong Tigers, so he has some leverage. The team owner, who supports how Fegan is handling the process, could refuse to release Yi if the Bucks or Timberwolves were to draft him.

That could be a disaster for Milwaukee or Minnesota -- and a disaster for the NBA, which is courting China.

Sources close to the Bucks and Wolves tell me they believe that it's all a smoke screen -- that Yi will happily come to any team that drafts him. I'm not so sure. I think the risk may be higher than the reward here.

I really wonder why the so called experts do not believe that Atlanta is seriously interested in Yi Jianlian? I'm not saying that because Yi is the guy I want to see drafted. In fact, Yi would be 3rd on my list at this point. I'm saying it because drafting Yi is something I think the Hawks are going to seriously consider, if not actually do. Think about it. It's pretty obvious that if the Hawks had their choice, they would deal the pick along with Josh Childress to Memphis for Pau Gasol. Which player in this draft is the most similar to Pau Gasol? Yi Jianlian. It only makes sense to me that if they want Pau so badly, then Yi is probably a secondary alternative.

I think you also have to look at this from the ownership's perspective as well. Think of how many of these new jerseys will be sold in China if the Hawks draft Yi. It would be a big marketing boon for the Hawks.

With that said, my preference has been Al Horford from day one. I hope all the experts are right and the Hawks take Al Horford.

Quote:

I think you also have to look at this from the ownership's perspective as well. Think of how many of these new jerseys will be sold in China if the Hawks draft Yi. It would be a big marketing boon for the Hawks.

I thought about that. But all of the jerseys are made there. There will be so many black market Yi's that they may not make that much off of him in that regard.

I just don't understand the doubt. Al Horford stood toe to toe with the best center prospect the NBA has seen since Shaq, and he had 18 points and 13 rebounds in the match up. There is no doubt in my mind that Al Horford can play center in the NBA, and be one of the top players in the league at that position.

Quote:

I could care less about how many jersey's the hawks sell. I'm more concerned about winning games. Maybe the ownership is thinking the same thing and that's why Yi is most likely not in the mix at the #3 pick. He's a project, his numbers next year wouldn't be any better than Marvin's rookie numbers. Also I wouldn't won't Mike Woodson anywhere near another international player. The hawks are a BAD fit for Yi.

Quote:

Quote:

I could care less about how many jersey's the hawks sell. I'm more concerned about winning games. Maybe the ownership is thinking the same thing and that's why Yi is most likely not in the mix at the #3 pick. He's a project, his numbers next year wouldn't be any better than Marvin's rookie numbers. Also I wouldn't won't Mike Woodson anywhere near another international player. The hawks are a BAD fit for Yi.

Umm... Yi is likely to be pick #3 because they want more jersey sells (if that is what they want to do).

• Premium Member

And oden had his career high. His highest scored previously was when he scored 24 against some second rate team like West Ohio Weslyan.. or something like that.

If Horford is our pick... The other teams will own our paint.

Quote:

Jersey sells are split among the teams in league. The hawks would only get something like 1/8 per jersey sold in China. It would be hard for Yi to sell a lot of jerseys in the U.S. while coming off the bench for the hawks.

But they get 100% of their sales in the clubhouse store. Now who do you think would be the hippest jersey around town, Horford or Yi.

Quote:

But they get 100% of their sales in the clubhouse store. Now who do you think would be the hippest jersey around town, Horford or Yi.

The number of jerseys sold in clubhouse is miniscule compared to the supposed billion jersey china market argument that is made, when we get 1/30 of every chinese yi jersey sold no matter who he plays for. Hell we'd probably make more off yi jerseys if he plays for a better team.

Quote:

Quote:

Jersey sells are split among the teams in league. The hawks would only get something like 1/8 per jersey sold in China. It would be hard for Yi to sell a lot of jerseys in the U.S. while coming off the bench for the hawks.

I'm going to go with Horford. People have actually seen Horford play in the U.S. not to mention the Final Four was in Atlanta last year, and the SEC Tournament is in Atlanta every year. And even though I hate to admit this there are plenty of gator fans in Atlanta. So yeah I could see Horford selling more jerseys in Atlanta then what Yi initially would. It would be hard for Yi to sell a lot of jersey's in Atlanta while coming off the bench.

The teams 7-10 all seem content with certain players right now.

I dream that we can get Horford / big trade at 3 (hopefully someone will give us a good offer) and that SOMEHOW Yi or Conley drop to 11. Wow would that make my day. I would scream so loud (I'm a quiet guy) that people in Alaska would hear me