• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Well another team in our divison just got BETTER!

SmooveTheFuture

Report: Lewis Agrees To Sign With Magic

July 2, 2007 - 11:39 pm

WKMG Channel 6 -

Orlando television station WKMG Local 6 is reporting that Rashard Lewis has agreed to sign with the Orlando Magic on July 11.

The deal is reported for 5 years and $75 million.

Sports anchor David Pingalore also reported the Magic will allow restricted free agent forward Darko Milicic to become an unrestricted free agent.

If they end up getting Rashard look out they will have another offensive weapon to add too Dwight Howard. They could have been what Tracy Mcgrady and Dwight Howard should have been. The Hawks have to counter this move.

Overpaid but it's worth it for the Magic. That's more than we gave JJ, and JJ is better than Lewis IMO. Orlando has definitely improved but they better hope this move gets them further along, because after resigning Howard next season, they'll most likely be capped out.

• Admin

I hate that really good players are getting superstar money.

Lewis is a good player but he is no where near max money type of player. The worst part is it drives the market up for quality small forwards. We have three that need to be resigned in the next 2 years.

I don't think they are any better.

In my mind the loss of Grant Hill and Darko is more of a loss then the the addittion of R. Lewis.

They still desperatly need a SG and a post player to fill the loss of Darko. Too bad they are out of cap space and must revert to scrap pile to fill 2 very important positions.

Nelson

Reddick

Lewis / Turkloughu

Howard

Battie

or

Nelson

Hill / Reddick

Turk

Howard

Darko / Battie

• Premium Member

Quote:

In my mind the loss of Grant Hill and Darko is more of a loss then the the addittion of R. Lewis.

They still desperatly need a SG and a post player to fill the loss of Darko.

They'll still have the MLE, and I'm sure someone will want to play in between Howard and Lewis. My primary question remains their PG play.

What's funny is that the league isn't abuzz with calls of "overpaying" when he's getting more money than JJ did.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

They still desperatly need a SG and a post player to fill the loss of Darko.

They'll still have the MLE, and I'm sure someone will want to play in between Howard and Lewis. My primary question remains their PG play.

What's funny is that the league isn't abuzz with calls of "overpaying" when he's getting more money than JJ did.

I would have figured they renounced the rights to Hill first off, then renounced the rights to their MLE. If a SNT doesn't get done then they have to renounce the rights to Milicic. So while they may have the MLE still, I doubt it.

Regardless, this move is a huge step for the Magic. Now they have a go-to scorer who isn't playing on weak ankles. This move makes them a playoff lock in my opinion because Rashard is just such a dynamic scorer. Not the best defender, but the Magic have been missing a 20 ppg scorer since T-Mac left.

You can't renounce the MLE. It doesn't take up cap space until used so there is nothing to renounce - unlike the cap hold with restricted free agents like Darko.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

You can't renounce the MLE. It doesn't take up cap space until used so there is nothing to renounce - unlike the cap hold with restricted free agents like Darko.

The MLE most certainly does take up cap space and you can renounce it as any team under the cap does. Since my explanation probably wasn't that great, here is a Larry Coon explanation of this:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#20

Check out the Darko thread. I was wrong on the MLE not taking up cap space for teams that are below the cap. [You were wrong on the ability to use the MLE (can't if you have cap space, can if you are over the cap or would go over the cap through use of the MLE).]

Nice to learn about that. Thanks.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Check out the Darko thread. I was wrong on the MLE not taking up cap space for teams that are below the cap. [You were wrong on the ability to use the MLE (can't if you have cap space, can if you are over the cap or would go over the cap through use of the MLE).]

You still have the ability to use the MLE and can use it if you are under the cap. It just doesn't make sense to use it. My point about that is to show that you must renounce the MLE in order to be able sign up to the cap. So once you spend up to the cap, you can only use minimum salary exceptions or trades to go over the cap.

You can still use other exceptions to exceed the cap after you are over it as well - including the MLE, the Larry Bird exception, etc.

I get what you are saying. I was wrong about it not counting against the cap for teams that under the cap.

Overrated move.

Lewis can't play D AND one of the few positions they had around Howard was SF.

If they move Hedo to the SG he would get absolutely abused on defense.

Hedo and Lewis would be so easy to take off the dribble, Howard would get into so much foul trouble.

I think Jason Richardson to Charlotte is overrated as well considering he's not better than JJ.

hell he might not even be better than Josh Smith

And overall our core is clearly better

• Premium Member

If Orlando somehow signs another post presence, then they would have gotten better...

But they just exchanged Lewis for Hill and lost Darko.

On paper, it looks good, but in practice, they need some size.

Augustine and Battie are not real help for Howard. They need to see if they can package Arroyo/Ariza/or Nelson for a Big?

Then they would be something to fear.