• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks prevent coaches from leaving for other jobs

D.R.P.

Hawks prevent assistants from leaving for other jobs

Drew, Fizdale can't leave; must honor final year of contract with team

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/10/07

Two Hawks assistant coaches will not be allowed to leave for positions with other NBA teams even after they received permission to speak to those organizations, Hawks general manager Billy Knight confirmed Tuesday.

Larry Drew and David Fizdale are being required to honor the final year of their contract by the Hawks.

"That's our position," Knight said. "We're going to require employees under contract to honor those contracts. Obviously, if an assistant got a chance to be a head coach somewhere else that's a different story. But for another [assistant coaching] position, we're not going to allow them that latitude."

Knight declined to elaborate why Drew and Fizdale were given permission to interview for assistant coaching positions with other teams.

"This is going to be our position going forward into the future and this is the way we?re going to handle it," Knight said. "I know in most cases around the NBA this is not the normal practice. But this is how we're going to handle it."

Drew accepted a position to become the Sacramento Kings lead assistant under new coach Reggie Theus, the same position he holds with the Hawks under Mike Woodson. He was later told that he would not be allowed out of the final year of his contract.

Fizdale, who has also been with the Hawks the past three years, was offered an assistant coaching position with the Cleveland Cavaliers but will not be allowed to pursue that opportunity.

Both coaches declined interview requests from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday.

A move to Sacramento would have allowed Drew, whose family resides in Los Angeles, to move closer to his wife and three sons. His oldest son, Larry Drew Jr., is one of the nation's top-rated high school point guards and has already committed to North Carolina.

The move would have allowed Drew to be close as his son played his senior year.

Knight said he's also not worried about Drew and Fizdale coming back to the Hawks angry over not being allowed to pursue other opportunities that would have given each man job security beyond the end of the 2007-08 season, which they don't have with the Hawks.

Quote:

Knight said he's also not worried about Drew and Fizdale coming back to the Hawks angry over not being allowed to pursue other opportunities that would have given each man job security beyond the end of the 2007-08 season, which they don't have with the Hawks.

The fact that Billy Knight is not worried about that speaks volumes about his abilities as a GM. What assistant coach would ever give 100% after being treated this way?

Quote:

Quote:

The fact that Billy Knight is not worried about that speaks volumes about his abilities as a GM. What assistant coach would ever give 100% after being treated this way?

Billy would be a great head scout. He knows talent (Gasol, Chillz, Smoove, Diaw, JJ, Salim, Solomon, Zaza). But he is remarkably and consistently terrible at managing...which sucks because he's our General Manager.

Quote:

Hawks prevent assistants from leaving for other jobs

Drew, Fizdale can't leave; must honor final year of contract with team

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/10/07

Two Hawks assistant coaches will not be allowed to leave for positions with other NBA teams even after they received permission to speak to those organizations, Hawks general manager Billy Knight confirmed Tuesday.

Larry Drew and David Fizdale are being required to honor the final year of their contract by the Hawks.

"That's our position," Knight said. "We're going to require employees under contract to honor those contracts. Obviously, if an assistant got a chance to be a head coach somewhere else that's a different story. But for another [assistant coaching] position, we're not going to allow them that latitude."

Knight declined to elaborate why Drew and Fizdale were given permission to interview for assistant coaching positions with other teams.

"This is going to be our position going forward into the future and this is the way we?re going to handle it," Knight said. "I know in most cases around the NBA this is not the normal practice. But this is how we're going to handle it."

Drew accepted a position to become the Sacramento Kings lead assistant under new coach Reggie Theus, the same position he holds with the Hawks under Mike Woodson. He was later told that he would not be allowed out of the final year of his contract.

Fizdale, who has also been with the Hawks the past three years, was offered an assistant coaching position with the Cleveland Cavaliers but will not be allowed to pursue that opportunity.

Both coaches declined interview requests from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Tuesday.

A move to Sacramento would have allowed Drew, whose family resides in Los Angeles, to move closer to his wife and three sons. His oldest son, Larry Drew Jr., is one of the nation's top-rated high school point guards and has already committed to North Carolina.

The move would have allowed Drew to be close as his son played his senior year.

Quote:

Quote:

Do we even need to say anything? He's not worried because he doesn't care about the Hawks, us the fans, or the very people that employ him. All he cares about is buying time with excuses and cashing checks. The man is a liar. To himself and everyone else. He will always have an excuse. He has convinced these owners that winning at basketball is akin to quantam physics. Unlike the owners, I've played a game or two and know that it isn't. Could BK get a job in the real world? First off, these guys suck. Let them leave. It's not good business to employ people who don't want to work for you. Especially when they have not produced. Hopefully after another horrible year, BK will never be able to tell anyone what they can and can't do again.

Quote:

Do we even need to say anything? He's not worried because he doesn't care about the Hawks, us the fans, or the very people that employ him. All he cares about is buying time with excuses and cashing checks. The man is a liar. To himself and everyone else. He will always have an excuse. He has convinced these owners that winning at basketball is akin to quantam physics. Unlike the owners, I've played a game or two and know that it isn't. Could BK get a job in the real world? First off, these guys suck. Let them leave. It's not good business to employ people who don't want to work for you. Especially when they have not produced. Hopefully after another horrible year, BK will never be able to tell anyone what they can and can't do again.

Just look at the conviction and dedication to the emotion of rage. It's just so organic. clapclap.gifwow.gif

• Moderators

Wow. That is bad news. It also reinforces my belief that we are going to have a very hard time attracting and retaining talented coaches and management employees until the Belkin/ASG litigation is resolved. My guess is that BK could not replace those guys with comparable coaches due to the uncertainty of life in the organization right now and that is why he reversed his position and refused to let those guys out of their contracts.

That's a mean move by Billy, if he wanted to keep the coaches then why did he allow them to go to the interviews? I'm sure Larry was happy to be closer to his family and now BK simply tells him "Nah sorry Larry I changed my mind.". Maybe he didn't think that they would actually get job offers.

Guest Walter

This really is a very sad and bad move on BK part IMO, but it mostly highlights just how bad this franchise is right now even after a "surprise" top 3 pick.

W

I agree AHF. This "smells" like the residue of this ownership mess. Billy's hands might be tied from hiring new coaches due to the legal ramifications. Think about it; isn't it funny that we don't know the length of Don Waddell's or Bob Hartley's extensions?

As much as I detest Billy's management skills, everything in me is telling me that he won't let these guys go because the legal situation necessitates that they stay. Hiring another assitant coach might involve pushing the legal barriers placed on the organization by the Maryland court. I can't believe I'm saying this; don't be so quick to condemn Billy on this one. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that part of the agreement between the Spirit, Belkin, and the Courts was the Spirit had limited authority in hiring front office/management people. An assistant coach could very well fit into that catagory. When the dusk finally settles, the birds are going to chirp and we'll finally hear how limited Billy was at doing his job in the midst of litigation. That's not to absolve him from his poor draft or personel decisions. However,other than drafting and an occasional move in free agency (Speedy, Lorenzen), he can't do much. I also believe that is the reason why Woody is still here. Remember...the Spirit was supposed to decide Woody's fate AFTER THE DRAFT LOTTERY. However, the backtracked and Gearon and Knight came out a few days after the Spirit said they would access Woodson and said he's staying. They couldn't afford to fire him because they can't bring anyone else in.

AHF nailed it. BK knows that no quality assistant would come to a coach with 1 year left on Woody's deal. So if they let these 2 go, they'd likely have to go with inferior assistants in Woody's last contract year. He basically chose to protect his head coach at the expense of the assistants. I think it is debatable if that is poor management. Those 2 represent 40% of the day-to-day coaching team. Do you really want to lose that experience and continuity during the make or break season of the head coach? This ties directly to the draft day decisions, if we are too broke to pay for a vet, then draft someone ready to contribute immediately. Because it is lose or go home time.

If anything, it shows that Fitzdale and Drew are obviously concerned about their long-term security and are already seeking to jump off the sinking ship. No faith. No loyalty. No job security. No winners here.

Quote:

Those 2 represent 40% of the day-to-day coaching team. Do you really want to lose that experience and continuity during the make or break season of the head coach?

Dude, that "growth" stuff is in your head. Of course I want them gone. Have you watched any of the last 246 games? Woody is already broken and two terrible assistants isn't going to change that.

If anything, it shows that Fitzdale and Drew are obviously concerned about their long-term security and are already seeking to jump off the sinking ship. No faith. No loyalty. No job security. No winners here.

That's it.....These guys sees the writing in the wall. Why would they not want to see the results of the rebuilding unless they believe that we will still fall short and they better get into a situation which they will still be employed for at least the next few years.

There is value in interviewing. You make new contacts, get experience interviewing and do some networking. I've managed people before and have always encouraged them to interview for positions, even if I knew the job was "wired". It is a useful and meaningful exercise, even when it doesn't result in a new job. I'm sure that Fitzdale and Drew are better off having gone through the experience.

Wow. More terrible PR for this organization, as if we could possibly stand any more. And these guys contracts are up after the season, so what then?

I'd think this would make it virtually impossible to hire quality assistants in the future- unless BK is let go and/or the ownership squabble gets resolved, neither of which looks to be all that imminent. And even if Knight's hands were tied by the ownership mess, then he should have taken these guys aside when they asked to interview elsewhere, and quietly explained the situation to them, and why he couldn't allow them to do that at this time. But to give these guys false hope, let them go out and actually interview, only to tell them 'No, you can't go', that's just f*cked-up. It is wrong, wrong, wrong- and there is no excuse.

reason behind this new "policy" as you articulated so well in your message. It really is a no win situation. What assistant coach worth a damn would come into this mess right now? BK, Woody and even the owners could be different by this time next year. I think ownership has a lot more to do with this than BK. Still, I think the policy sucks and I feel for Drew and Fizdale.

Gotta wonder if Bk is afraid of looking bad when he can't replace them. But when they brought up the issue of his family, how could he look any worse? He sent a message to every coach in the league about what to expect from our organization. This could be yet one more chink in his armour. This will not just go away. The season hasn't started yet and here we go.

It's wrong what happened to these guys, but we don't know the whole story. It is well within reason that Billy THOUGHT they would be free to interview, get hired elsewhere, and he'd be free to hire replacements. But then, he could have been informed that due to legal issues, it would be best to keep them on because he couldn't replace them. Hell, he thought he had full autonomy to complete the JJ trade with Phoenix and Belkin almost threw a monkey wrench in that. With this current organization, dysfunction has become the norm and it starts with ownership. Given recent history, this theory isn't that far-fetched. We don't have proof, but I bet you, this had more to do with the Spirit group/the Maryland Court's decision/Belkin than it had to do with Billy Knight being spiteful. Still it's another black eye on our organization and a disservice to these coaches.