• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

$126 Million over 6 years

WraithSentinel

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?p...mmerleaguesday2

FREE-AGENT BUZZ: With the Magic being key players in this month's free-agent sweepstakes, their imminent acquisition of coveted small forward Rashard Lewis has been all the buzz of the summer league.

Lewis' agent, Tony Dutt, was at the camp Monday, finalizing the negotiations with the Magic. Lewis is expected in town Wednesday, the first day that free agents can sign contracts, to ink a six-year megadeal with the Magic.

Orlando has agreed to a sign-and-trade deal with the Seattle SuperSonics that will allow Lewis to make $126.4 million over the next six seasons, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity. The Magic will send back a second-round pick to the Sonics.

With the 2007-08 salary cap set Tuesday night at $56.63 million, Lewis' first-year salary with the Magic will be $16.68 million -- the maximum allowable for a player with nine years of NBA experience. From there, he'll get 10.5 percent annual raises. That will take the deal to a mind-boggling $25.2 million for the 2012-13 season.

I thought Otis Thorpe knew what he was doing until now.

He just handed a good player a Lebron James/ Garnett like contract.

Reminds me of the Allan Houston deal that helped cripple the Knicks for years.

He should have signed both Darko and Hill for alot less then Lewis.

When Lewis is 33 he will be making a whopping $25,000,000.

Just as untradable as Allan Houston.

They will never have the money to fill out a competitive roster unless their owner pays alot of luxury taxes.

Dwight Howard spoke at my church last night. He said that on Thursday, he is going to sign a 5 year, $80 million deal. Those guys in Orlando are writing some fat checks.

BTW, on a completely unrelated note, Dwight's parents were there as well. Did you know that Dwight was born two months premature and that his mother had five miscarriages before he was born? I just found that interesting. They looked at him as a real miracle baby. He certainly has gone on to bigger and better things from that auspicious start.

Quote:

Aside from the amount of money Rashard will be making, this is a great deal for the Magic. Now they can resign Darko, I look for this move to come soon unless Darko's agent really is holding a grudge against the Magic but that is doubtful because money cures all grudges and the Magic are the only team aside from the Grizz that can offer him big bucks. However, if the Magic don't decide to re-sign Darko they could always do a SNT with him where they could net an asset in the process and Darko still gets big bucks. Regardless, Darko is more than likely going to be happy.

So they have:

Lewis making $16.5 million and raising each year.

Howard will get another max deal $16.5 million and raising.

Darko want $10 million byt will probably get $7 million and raising.

That is $40,000,000 in cap space and growing each year.

You be the GM:

That leaves $15 million to fill out the remaining 11 roster spots. Don't have too much fun doing that !

or

Darko signs withthe Grizz

That leaves $22,00,000 to fill out 12 roster spots. Again, don't have too much fun with that, Otis.

Howard will see Thorpe has crippled this franchise and could leave them. We need to let Chills walk and make some roster moves to open up some cap space to bring Howard back to Atlanta.

Smoove should be working it out with his best friend, Howard, right now on the phone.

Smoove is our secret weapon to bring Howard to the ATL.

What a wet dream, a front court of:

Smith / Horofrd / Howard

• Premium Member

Darko's rights were renounced. He won't be re-signing with Orlando.

They basically sent Grant Hill and Darko Milicic packing to pay Rashard more money than the two combined.

In my book, this is the epitome of a "lateral move."

You know, I think that Magic fans are always happy when it appears the team is moving forward, which this signing certainly indicates.

They got the biggest name on the free agent market to add to an extension on their most popular player (Howard) and they have a playoff experienced head coach and a team coming off a playoff berth.

Yes, they overpaid, but that's what you do for someone else's free agents if they are not damaged goods, which Lewis is not. I think the Magic fans are pretty satisfied that Otis Smith is doing everything necessary to make the Magic better. If that means being able to now extend Darko, I think that would complete a pretty strong summer, save for the Billy Donovan fiasco which ended up with them getting the better pro coach (Van Gundy) anyway.

..if they only sent a second round pick to complete this deal (which doesn't make sense considering taking on the extra year is a great cost for no apparent gain) then they are out of space and no Darko.

We'll have to wait and see...hard to swallow that they couldn't pass off some contracts to make that extra year more palatable.

Quote:

Dwight Howard spoke at my church last night. He said that on Thursday, he is going to sign a 5 year, $80 million deal. Those guys in Orlando are writing some fat checks.

BTW, on a completely unrelated note, Dwight's parents were there as well. Did you know that Dwight was born two months premature and that his mother had five miscarriages before he was born? I just found that interesting. They looked at him as a real miracle baby. He certainly has gone on to bigger and better things from that auspicious start.

Wow imagine how big he would be if could have stayed in the womb another month or two.

I was 6 weeks premature and on an incubator b/c my lungs were not developed.

My 3 brothers are all over 6' tall. Being born that premature can have an impact on your adult size.

Quote:

Why is Lewis worth 6 years $126,000,000 and Howard worth only 5 years $80,000,000 ? Lewis would 33 and past prime at the end while Howard would still be in his mid 20's.

Doesn't sound right to me. If true, Howard needs a better agent.

Quote:

That is because Howard is a 0-6 year player. The max deal for that type of player is 25% of the cap. Rashard is a 7-9 year player and the max deal for that type of player is 30% of the cap. Keep in mind they also get a max of 10.5% raises (these are simple raises, not compounded) so that adds onto the value of Rashard's contract since he starts at a higher amount.

It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with the way the CBA is structured.

Howard will get a higher raise increases won't he? Or has that changed? I know it used to be 12.5% if you were resigning with your current team.

• Premium Member

According to the NBA's website, they've already withdrawn the QO:

Quote:

Tue,

July 3

Orlando names Brendan Malone, Patrick Ewing, Steve Clifford and Bob Beyer assistant coaches;
withdraws qualifying offer to Darko Milicic.

http://www.nba.com/transactions/current_mo...ansactions.html

Darko is as good as gone.

What a terrible move by the Magic. They did not have to do a S/T with Seattle to get Lewis. No one else even wanted to pay him a max contract. So instead of just signing him to a 5yr/80mil contract they do a 6yr/126mil contract and sweeten the deal by doing a S/T with Seattle sending a HUGE trade exception and a 2nd round pick. This moron Otis must be worse than BK. How do these clowns become GM's? Good lord!! Terrible move considering Lewis can ONLY do one thing and that is score which he doesn't do all that great at anyways. He is soft and can't rebound worth a lick for being 6'10.

Quote:

Not to make light of miscarriages, but is it possible that Dwight was in utero the whole time, eating the other embryos? That would explain his man-childness.

Quote:

Quote:

Not to make light of miscarriages, but is it possible that Dwight was in utero the whole time, eating the other embryos? That would explain his man-childness.

Possible? Nay--probable, my friend. I think you've just solved a 21-year-old mystery.

It's the perfect crime, since one can always plead ignorance to anything experienced as a fetus. Who among us couldn't sympathize? I personally don't have more than 3 to 4 memories from my whole 9 months in the womb.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Howard will get a higher raise increases won't he? Or has that changed? I know it used to be 12.5% if you were resigning with your current team.

That was the previous CBA. Now it is 10.5% when you resign with Bird or Early Bird Rights (Howard for sure, apparently Lewis did too), and 8% for other pretty much any other signing.

Also, with a sign and trade for Lewis both Lewis and Howard are considered to be signing with their current team for purposes of salary raises under the CBA. That is one reason that the S&T makes so little sense for Orlando. They add on an extra year and pay more for every year with higher raises. It adds up to an additional $30M for one more year on the contract. That is not a smart move, IMO.

Quote:

$126 million for Lewis is a complete joke.

They are overpaying by a mile. Lewis is a good player but that is all. He doesn't beat guys off the dribble and he is a weak defender.

Putting that much money into him and Howard is going to hurt them in the long run. Howard hasn't really improved his post game at all since he has been a pro and can't shoot a 10 foot jumper to save his life. he isn't exactly noted for his defense either.