• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The BK Vent!

djcorley

Here's one to ponder...

All things being equal...which GM's would you choose to run your franchise before BK?

Understanding that no ownership situation is perfect...and we all know that our situation is as far from perfect as can be..

In terms of every aspect of building a winning team (draft, free agency, trades, cap management, coaching etc.etc.)...

If the ownership situation was equal on all levels...what's the pecking order and where does BK fall? judge.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Walter

Quote:

Here's one to ponder...

All things being equal...which GM's would you choose to run your franchise before BK?

I wouldn't choose McHale, Thomas, and after the silly Rashard Lewis signing maybe Otis Smith...that's about it.

Coaching-wise the "exclusivity" of Woodson's incompetence rival's BK's IMO.

W

let's see...

he's never drafted a bust, just maybe not best possible player

he's never signed a horrible contract (unless speedy remains injured, but even then not a crippling one)

he's signed some real bargains (sjax for 1 mil -> al -> draft pick -> law) and zaza for so cheap

he hasn't done everything OPTIMAL by a long shot, but he hasn't really made any bad mistakes either

name the gms in the league who have never drafted a bust and have never signed a horrible contract and have signed great bargains...

I'd take Colangelo from Toronto or a big legendary name like Pat Riley.

Just having Pat Riley's name recognition would make big name players listen to him whether it is current players or the recruitment of free agents.

I would also like the GM of the Bulls (don't know his name). He has done a great job since Krause stepped down. Of course if we had him Walter would dog him for years for drafting Ben Gordon ahead of Wade and Bosh. All in all I think he has done a good job.

Quote:

name the gms in the league who have never drafted a bust and have never signed a horrible contract and have signed great bargains...

There is not one. (Unless you consider Seatle's new GM only has one draft and taking Durant at #2 was a no brainer and trading a 31 year old for pick #5 was smart since when Durant hits his prime Allen wiould be out of the league. Might as well get a possible young star to grow up with Durant.

But as long as GM with many years of exoierence it is impossible bat 1.00000 in every draft.

I agree BK has done a good job. True he has never drafted a bust and even found a diamond in the rough in Smith at #17.

The jury is still out on Marvin. I still think the sky is the limit for Marvin.

As a former #2 pick, i would consider Stromile Swift a bust.I CAN'T REMEMBER IF bK PICKED HIM OR NOT.

Bk has not signed anyone but Speedy to a bad contract, but

that doesn't mean he didn't try to.

Remember he tried to give the Max to Kenyon Martin, only to get rejected,because he prefered Nuggets "THANK YOU K-Mart" eheheh.gif

In Bk's 6 years as a Gm, he has never had a team that won more than 30 games.

Hired two of the worst coaches in NBA history, by record

Mike Woodson and Sidney Lowe.

How many Gm's,that have been around for 6 years , without winning more than 30 games are Currently in the Nba.Bk is lucky to still have a Job.If our owner had any balls , he would be gone by now.

Quote:

Hired two of the worst coaches in NBA history, by record

Mike Woodson and Sidney Lowe.

How many Gm's,that have been around for 6 years , without winning more than 30 games are Currently in the Nba.Bk is lucky to still have a Job.If our owner had any balls , he would be gone by now.

In airness to BK. He took over a an expansion team (in Cananda no less). Not exactly the ideal coahing job. It is hard enough to build a franchise our of an expansion team, especially when in Canada. To his credit he assembled the talen that gave them their 3 year playoff run and traded for the franchise cornerstone player in Gasol for the decling Reef. I think West is the one responsible for flipping Bibby for Williams but I could be wrong.

The position he took in Atlanta was no better then the Vancouver position he had. It was supposed to take him a few yeas.

I can't think of a GM who has been put in bad situations as bad as the ones BK has taken.

He will make the Hawks a perinial playoff team like he did for the Grizz.

Belive Bk Spent one year Canada and one year in Memphis.

The Grizz had been in the Nba for 6 or 7 years by then.

So it's not like he was building the team up from scratch.

The Grizzlies would never have taken off with BK, because they would have still had Sidney Lowe instead of a "good coach" like Hubie Brown.

He can into Atlanta with tradable players such as Sar, Ratliff and Terry, but didn't get much for them.

Only one 1 round pick of both SAR AND Ratliff ???

We had to suffer though one of the worst seasons in nba histoy 13-69 , and all we got to show for that is Marvin(Instead of our franchise pg)

• Premium Member

Pete Babcock (*shudder*), Rob Babcock (*double*shudder), Scott Layden and his billion dollar Knicks, Elgin Baylor: the original Forward Fetish Fiend, Larry Harris, Lenny Wilkens, Isiah Thomas...

*gulp* Michael Jordan? hide.gif Not been impressed with MJ in the front office so far.

IMO Jury's still out on Danny Ainge (wait...was he the one who sent JJ to Phoenix?), Mullin (although they made the playoffs...we'll see), Larry Bird, and obviously Seattle.

Wash with BK - Bickerstaff, current Orlando GM, Cleveland's mangement (what have they done besides win LBJ?), New Jersey's management, Washington Management, McHale, Billy King.

No brainers I would take - Paxon, Riley, Spurs management, Jazz management, Mavs management, and anyone that has had anything to do with the Suns dating back to the late 80's - we'll see about Kerr.

Know nothing about - New Orleans and Sac management. Portland (did they change GM's? Or did the current GM just go in a new direction...dunno).

The "Eh...I dunno" grup:

Houston - eh. 90's Houston management for sure.

Denver - eh...

The Logo - Give him credit for building the Lakers and drafting Kobe. But c'mon man...it's freakin' LA. How hard is it to attract a FA like Shaq? Not impressed with what he did in Memphis.

Detroit. I like what Joe D has done and I think he's a fine talent evaluator and good GM. I...just don't like the Pistons. Too blue-collar for me. lol And he shouldn't have taken Darko.

All in all, I think BK is a little below average. Certainly not in the exceptional class, but he could certainly be MUCH worse. Even though ownership struggles have likely played a part in many of his decisions, dating back to Time Warner, ultimately I'm just not overly impressed. This is the first year though where he has actually drafted someone that I was high on (Law), so we'll see.

C- borderline D.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Of course if we had him Walter would dog him for years for drafting Ben Gordon ahead of Wade and Bosh. All in all I think he has done a good job.

While personally I really wanted Wade (and repeatedly suggested a trade up for him) I like the Bull's work as well. I don't expect any GM to get it right all the time. Just at least half the time would do. When it comes to lottery picks this is particularly important. I don't understand the Aldridge for Thomas trade, however, particularly if they were going to let Chandler go and try and sign Ben Wallace.

Of course, you weren't asking my opinion, you were just being a pain.

W

I agree pretty much 100% with what Wretch said. In terms of grading, though, I'd still give BK an I(ncomplete.) Unless you were a fly on the wall in his office, you'd never really know exactly how much our unprecedented (?) ownership situation affects things.

"Portland (did they change GM's? Or did the current GM just go in a new direction...dunno)."

Actually they did both! The new direction was up instead of down!

Kevin Pritchard was promoted to GM from assistant GM after John Nash was fired over a year ago. Nash was the guy that gave the humongous extension to randolph and the long term and big extension to Miles. He also was the one that engineered the trade that brought in webster and jack over williams and paul. (pritchard lobbied very hard for them to pick paul but they didn't listen)

Quote:

Quote:

Of course if we had him Walter would dog him for years for drafting Ben Gordon ahead of Wade and Bosh. All in all I think he has done a good job.

While personally I really wanted Wade (and repeatedly suggested a trade up for him) I like the Bull's work as well. I don't expect any GM to get it right all the time. Just at least half the time would do. When it comes to lottery picks this is particularly important. I don't understand the Aldridge for Thomas trade, however, particularly if they were going to let Chandler go and try and sign Ben Wallace.

W

I also don't get the Aldridge for Thomas trade. Or the Noah pick. He also overpaid for Ben Wallace. But considering his entire body of work, it's hard to argue.

Quote:

Quote:

W

Walter your right, I was a bit unfair to you.

As long as your winning and going to the playoff you can get away with drafting good talent and missing the superstar like Paxon has done with Bulls.

However, when your not winnig you simply can't get away with as much.

Quote:

He can into Atlanta with tradable players such as Sar, Ratliff and Terry, but didn't get much for them.

he got SMOOVE for sar/theo...i do believe that is a GREAT trade for us

for terry, he got walker which became a pick which was used for JJ

so he got JJ for diaw (late first), terry and our 1st next year (hopefully not in lottery)...which is a good deal

also NOT trading for Gasol last year. With Gasol the Bulls are a much more complete team than they were. The cost was fairly high, if the rumors were correct (Gordon and Deng?), but Gasol gives them that inside threat they really need (and still don't have). Outside what has been mentioned, Pax has done an excellent job w/ the Bulls. But he has money to spend, unlike BK (and Wadell).

2 Former Allstars for the 17th pick is not a good trade.

Yes i happy that we got Josh, but the 17th pick is not equal value to a 20pt scorer and the league leader in Blocked shots.We should have gotten a pick from Portland or a young player.