• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Completely OT, but "Gotta see this"...

sturt

"My God almighty, he ran right through two men, Herschel ran right over two men, they had him dead away inside the 9. Herschel Walker went 16 yards, he drove right over those orange shirts and is just driving and running with those big thighs. My God, a freshman!"

My God, an 8-year-old. I hope he learns not to sacrifice his body on every play. Those cutbacks were superhuman. My God, an 8-year-old.

If you look later on in the replies, it says that he is a 13 year old and that was when he was 12. At the same time, I think it mentioned that was a Pee Wee National Championship game so he is smokin' the best youngsters in the nation. Unbelievable blocking for him too if you look at the O-Line and #20

Yeah, that boy is actually 12 years old in that video- which makes what he's doing all the more impressive in my opinion, and as you say, he's doing it against some of the best 12 year old players in the country, despite his small size. He was juking and jiving like a lil' Barry Sanders there, and even discounting the fact that the video was speeded up in places- the boy showed some *serious* acceleration. I really liked #20's work in that video too. He had several blocks where he absolutely pancaked the defender, and he looked like a hell of a tailback in his own right.

I like the class those kids show too. When they score, they act like they've been there before, and just hand the ball back to the ref. And it was cute after that one touchdown Cody scored, how he tapped his hip, indicating to his buddy that he wanted to do a hip-smack with him.

Hopefully he continues his football career, and obviously stays healthy. The boy has incredible talent. And to those mentioning 'roids, I'm assuming that's tongue in cheek, as for one thing he's 12 years old, and for another- steroids do not give you that type of field vision and cutback ability. That's just a god-given gift he's got there.

I don't think he'll make it to the pros. In my experience these 12 year old wonder kids (in every sport) almost never turn into great pros. It's always those average-good kids that become pros, but the 8-14 years old wonderkids simply disappear.

Remember Todd Marinovich, the Robo-QB? It was literally like his father bred that kid from birth to be a quarterback- I mean he started him YOUNG, and basically made the whole kid's life about playing football, and specifically QB. I thought that was kind of wrong, personally. I would never interfere in one of my boy's lives like that. Anyways, Marinovich was a major flame-out once he hit the pros.

But for every high-profile failure like that, there are equally as many high-profile successes- kids who are great when they're very young, and continue that greatness on into their professional careers. John Elway and Troy Aikman spring immediately to mind. There was already a very strong buzz about them back when they were Cody's age. I mean some people it's just obvious, they have transcendent talent no matter their age.

Nah, the failure rate is much higher, you just forget them because you'll never hear their names again. I can think of so many vids I've seen from 8-14 year olds that were dominating and they never amounted to anything. Sometimes if I can remember their name I'll find out that soandso is now 25 and playing for some obscure lower league team.

• Premium Member

Marinovich had the physical talent but since his dad had raised him since he was a baby to be nothing but a NFL QB the kid had (still has) major head issues and drug issues. I remember when he was in college and said he still had never had a Big Mac or soft drink because his dad wouldn't allow it. But once he was in college he rebelled (who can blame him?) and we all saw how that turned out.

Impressive video btw.

• Moderators

The video is impressive but I can't help thinking about some of the kids I grew up with who were so dominant at a young age but where closer to the middle of the pack by high school. No doubt he looks impressive but hopefully people aren't filling his head with empty praise or unreasonable expectations.

Quote:

Marinovich had the physical talent but since his dad had raised him since he was a baby to be nothing but a NFL QB the kid had (still has) major head issues and drug issues. I remember when he was in college and said he still had never had a Big Mac or soft drink because his dad wouldn't allow it. But once he was in college he rebelled (who can blame him?) and we all saw how that turned out.

Yeah, it was wicked whacked what his father did to him. I think that type of thing probably happens more often than people realize, fathers forcing their sons to do these things in an effort to realize the fathers own unfulfilled dreams or something.

I remember Gregg Jefferies dad did the exact same type thing to him. Gregg was raised from birth to be a baseball player, and I read an article about his childhood and how his dad would have him swing a bat for hours every day in a swimming pool filled with water, in order to increase his son's strength and bat speed. And he started doing this when the boy was like 9 or 10....and if you can imagine swinging a bat through water, it ain't easy. In fact I'd term that borderline child abuse with a kid that young, but it was well within his father's rights to treat his boy that way.

That's some severely messed-up sh*t, though. How bout just letting the boy be a boy, and giving him the respect and courtesy of deciding for himself what *he* wants to do with his life?