• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

is anyone listening to the game? Horford is back.

pimp

• Premium Member

Quote:

Drat - Drat - Drat.

88/86.

Blew a 7 point lead in the regular time.

Drat!!

mad.gif

This game should end any talk of Larry Drew as a head coach in the NBA especially for the Hawks. The coaching was pretty bad in the last 2 minutes of regulation!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Shelly and Al both got thoroughly outplayed by Millsap.

Two top 5 picks, whose best position is the same as our second best player, get outplayed by a second rounder. Not exactly encouraging but then Al was hobbled.

Horford played well against Millsap in the first matchup, so I'm not exactly worried. Millsap is also a much better talent than a second round pick. You don't lead the NCAA in rebounding three straight years by accident.

Shelden guarded Millsap the first game, so it'll be interesting to see if he was the one who got torched by him again.

Good news is Horford came back...didn't play all that well or all that much for that matter...but, he's back

Shelden was a beast on the boards again...I think he's going to have a good sophomore season...

Mario West was all over the place tonite.

Acie Law was a beast...best player on the floor tonite.

Quote:

Quote:

Shelly and Al both got thoroughly outplayed by Millsap.

Two top 5 picks, whose best position is the same as our second best player, get outplayed by a second rounder. Not exactly encouraging but then Al was hobbled.

Conversely, who was guarding Shelden and allowing him to dominate the boards?

Quote:

Good news is Horford came back...didn't play all that well or all that much for that matter...but, he's back

Shelden was a beast on the boards again...I think he's going to have a good sophomore season...

Mario West was all over the place tonite.

Acie Law was a beast...best player on the floor tonite.

Exatcly, look at the positve side guys! Follow the light. Don't get stressed by this loss tonight it's only a summer league. Be prepared for the regular season though there will be plenty of those.

Quote:

Gotta get Horford more shots.

He'll get more shots during the reagular season. You know how these summer league games are, everyone who wasn't drafted is auditioning for the entire league. So the majority of the players are going solo instead of playing team ball.

Quote:

Quote:

At risk of a couple of morons criticizing me for being excited that Law isn't a failure, I'll say I'm happy to hear he's playing well and impressing the Jazz guys.

maybe people wouldnt get on you if you didnt make idiotic comments like law being a wasted pick and will do nothing in the NBA after you saw the boxscore of 1 summer league game. just a thought.

oh and it seems acie is having another great game. just had to throw that in there

Here's one of those morons now.....

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

At risk of a couple of morons criticizing me for being excited that Law isn't a failure, I'll say I'm happy to hear he's playing well and impressing the Jazz guys.

maybe people wouldnt get on you if you didnt make idiotic comments like law being a wasted pick and will do nothing in the NBA after you saw the boxscore of 1 summer league game. just a thought.

oh and it seems acie is having another great game. just had to throw that in there

Yes. Anybody who can show what you did wrong is a termed "moron" preemptively. Great. Reminds me of the naked king wearing invisible dress. You should be the President.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. Anybody who can show what you did wrong is a termed "moron" preemptively. Great. Reminds me of the naked king wearing invisible dress. You should be the President.

Where did he show that I "did wrong," as you so eloquently put it?

Did he quote me actually saying that Law was a wasted pick based on one SL game? No. Why? Because I never said that after the SL games...I said that on the night of the draft, because I believed (and still believe) that Stuckey will prove to be the much better pick.

After the first 2 SL games, all I ever said about Law was that he was playing how I feared he would, that if he couldn't put up some good numbers in SL I'd be nervous about his rookie season, but that I'd feel much better if he actually had a couple of good games.

On the "Reasons for Optimism" thread, by the way, I've already invited a couple of people who have mischaracterized what I've said to SHOW ME where I've said anything different than that. Of course, no one has - because I never said anything different than that.

In fact, I often expressly qualified any criticisms of Law I made by saying "of course, you can't predict the course of his career based off of one SL game, but I'd feel better if he put up some numbers in some of these games." Then Dukegotgame comes along two minutes later and says "LOL, you think you can judge his entire career off of one SL game?"

The problem, in other words, is that some people barely read what other people have written, and then they start attacking positions that have nothing at all to do with what the other person actually said. And those people are, in my opinion, morons.

In case you're curious about what it looks like to "show" someone what they said, here's a good example. Here's everything I said about Law after the first two SL games. Please SHOW ME where I said that he was an unmitigated failure based off of one SL game.

Quote:

It's summer league, but Law is a guard, and he's a 4-year player. If anyone should play well in the summer league setting, it's Law.
But as soon as we made the pick I felt that Law would have a crappy summer league. It's just the way things go for most of BK's picks.
I't starts with a bad summer league and ends with a bad rookie season.
Of course, it's only been one half, but I just don't see Law being a contributor in the NBA any time soon - mostly just based off of my opinion of him before the summer league. We'll see, but I know I'd feel a lot better if he actually played well in the SL.

Quote:

I'm not saying, by the way, that I think Law or Shelden can't play in the NBA, or that I hope they fail, or that they're not high character guys. I'm just saying that I'm not sure we got the most out of those picks
, just like we didn't get the most out of the Childress or Marvin picks...and really that's an indictment of BK and not of the players themselves.

I'm just not sure Law will be a longterm solution at the point for us. I criticized the pick when we made it, and the fact that Law is shooting 27% from the field so far isn't making me feel any better
, especially when Stuckey and Critt, the two guys I prefered over Law, are both averaging around 20 ppg in their summer league, even though they're both two or three years younger than Law.

Of course, that's not to say that we can predict the course of their entire careers based off of a couple of SL games
, but it is reason to be concerned. And to me it's not ridiculous or laughable to point out some concern after what we've witnessed over the last 4 or 5 years, with most of our draft picks turning out to be solid but disappointing relative to where they were picked.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but Law is playing just as I feared he would.
This guy is fool's gold...a classic BK pick: yeah, he's a "mature" four-year player with a good rep in college, but so what? The pick should have been Stuckey or BPA - Law is going to prove to be a massive reach.
I'm hope I'm wrong, I hope he plays great for the rest of the half and the rest of the summer league.

Quote:

I'm being a bit pessimistic here, but I was upset on draft night about the Law pick, and I've been trying to withhold judgment and give him a chance, but I've just been apprehensive about the way Law would play in the SL for a while now.....just once I'd like to see one of our "mature" draft picks, like Chill or Shell or Law, have a good SL

Quote:

I hope you're right.
It's just that I got pretty upset with the Law pick, and I would have liked to see some disconfirming evidence here
...I would have loved to see Law come out and flourish from day one

Quote:

So basically, what summer league does for me as a fan is help me know what kind of expectations are realistic going into the season...and if Law struggles for the entire summer league, for instance, there's a good chance we'll see a slow adjustment in the regular season.

Quote:

When we picked Law, to me at least, it was like "here we go again."
I tried to be upbeat, but I've been dreading the SL and now I guess I'm just venting a little bit. But what's so wrong with wanting Law to actually play well in SL?
Is that so much to ask?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Where did he show that I "did wrong," as you so eloquently put it?

Did he quote me actually saying that Law was a wasted pick based on one SL game? No. Why? Because I never said that after the SL games...I said that on the night of the draft, because I believed (and still believe) that Stuckey will prove to be the much better pick.

After the first 2 SL games, all I ever said about Law was that he was playing how I feared he would, that if he couldn't put up some good numbers in SL I'd be nervous about his rookie season, but that I'd feel much better if he actually had a couple of good games.

On the "Reasons for Optimism" thread, by the way, I've already invited a couple of people who have mischaracterized what I've said to SHOW ME where I've said anything different than that. Of course, no one has - because I never said anything different than that.

In fact, I often expressly qualified any criticisms of Law I made by saying "of course, you can't predict the course of his career based off of one SL game, but I'd feel better if he put up some numbers in some of these games." Then Dukegotgame comes along two minutes later and says "LOL, you think you can judge his entire career off of one SL game?"

The problem, in other words, is that some people barely read what other people have written, and then they start attacking positions that have nothing at all to do with what the other person actually said. And those people are, in my opinion, morons.

In case you're curious about what it looks like to "show" someone what they said, here's a good example. Here's everything I said about Law after the first two SL games. Please SHOW ME where I said that he was an unmitigated failure based off of one SL game.

Quote:

It's summer league, but Law is a guard, and he's a 4-year player. If anyone should play well in the summer league setting, it's Law.
But as soon as we made the pick I felt that Law would have a crappy summer league. It's just the way things go for most of BK's picks.
I't starts with a bad summer league and ends with a bad rookie season.
Of course, it's only been one half, but I just don't see Law being a contributor in the NBA any time soon - mostly just based off of my opinion of him before the summer league. We'll see, but I know I'd feel a lot better if he actually played well in the SL.

Quote:

I'm not saying, by the way, that I think Law or Shelden can't play in the NBA, or that I hope they fail, or that they're not high character guys. I'm just saying that I'm not sure we got the most out of those picks
, just like we didn't get the most out of the Childress or Marvin picks...and really that's an indictment of BK and not of the players themselves.

I'm just not sure Law will be a longterm solution at the point for us. I criticized the pick when we made it, and the fact that Law is shooting 27% from the field so far isn't making me feel any better
, especially when Stuckey and Critt, the two guys I prefered over Law, are both averaging around 20 ppg in their summer league, even though they're both two or three years younger than Law.

Of course, that's not to say that we can predict the course of their entire careers based off of a couple of SL games
, but it is reason to be concerned. And to me it's not ridiculous or laughable to point out some concern after what we've witnessed over the last 4 or 5 years, with most of our draft picks turning out to be solid but disappointing relative to where they were picked.

Quote:

I'm sorry, but Law is playing just as I feared he would.
This guy is fool's gold...a classic BK pick: yeah, he's a "mature" four-year player with a good rep in college, but so what? The pick should have been Stuckey or BPA - Law is going to prove to be a massive reach.
I'm hope I'm wrong, I hope he plays great for the rest of the half and the rest of the summer league.

Quote:

I'm being a bit pessimistic here, but I was upset on draft night about the Law pick, and I've been trying to withhold judgment and give him a chance, but I've just been apprehensive about the way Law would play in the SL for a while now.....just once I'd like to see one of our "mature" draft picks, like Chill or Shell or Law, have a good SL

Quote:

I hope you're right.
It's just that I got pretty upset with the Law pick, and I would have liked to see some disconfirming evidence here
...I would have loved to see Law come out and flourish from day one

Quote:

So basically, what summer league does for me as a fan is help me know what kind of expectations are realistic going into the season...and if Law struggles for the entire summer league, for instance, there's a good chance we'll see a slow adjustment in the regular season.

Quote:

When we picked Law, to me at least, it was like "here we go again."
I tried to be upbeat, but I've been dreading the SL and now I guess I'm just venting a little bit. But what's so wrong with wanting Law to actually play well in SL?
Is that so much to ask?

And this is your defense against a claim that you were judging a player unfairly after one summer league game. Take some friendly advise, don't go into Law! twirl.gif

This is not in reply to vdunk or any one, just a comment on the game.

The Utah team that beat us twice is a heck of a team. Four of their starting 5 starters have NBA expierence, the 5th starter is their 1st round pick. The four guys they have in the starting line up know Utah's system and it shows.

Our guys have only 2 players who have played for the Hawks before. One of which, Jones, is averageing a foul a minute, so he is barely on the floor. Sheldon's monster games are indictive of how much a year of NBA seasoning means in summer league.

Law and Horford still look like NBA players wothout such NBA expierence. Law's ability to run a team makes it evident he is nothing but a PG, and a very good one at that. What I'm so happy about is how comfortable Law looks on the floor playing with new teamates in a new system. That is a heck of a transition for any PG and Law is handling it quite well. I really love how he makes smart decisions and rarely turns the ball over. He IS a true PG.

I have seen their 1st games vs. the Jazz and Spurs on NBA TV replays and can't wait to see the 8:00 PM re-run tonight where Law scored like 19 on 7/9 shooting in their 3rd summer league game.

In watching Law he looks very quick for a 6'3'' guy and has no trouble keeping smaller PG's in front of him when on defense. That is what I thought would be his major concern but it does not seem to be a problem at all.

Whats not to like about Acie Law IV ?