• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best album released this year?

Guest MLibid

Rise or Die Trying by Four Year Strong. Its not out yet (Sept. 18) but it leaked, and I've got to say, its the best album I've ever heard... I fully expect them to replace Fall Out Boy as the top Pop Punk band in the land. But they aren't pussies like FOB... they throw a huge dose of Hardcore/Metal into their Pop... its gonna start a new genre, seriously...

Quote:

Rise or Die Trying by Four Year Strong. Its not out yet (Sept. 18) but it leaked, and I've got to say, its the best album I've ever heard... I fully expect them to replace Fall Out Boy as the top Pop Punk band in the land.

If they are anything like fall out boy, I've got about 400 cds you should listen to first. grin.gif

JK, man. I'm an older punk now. All civilized and sh!t! Seriously though, I think it's funny what constitutes punk to different generations. And even the differences of opinion between the same generation can be bewildering at times. To me It's stuff like The Clash, The Ramones, MC5(look them up... a must), then there's LA punk(rhcp, gnr, etc), skate punk(Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Weezer), you've got the whole straight edge punk thing. Ska punk, There are so many ways to look at it. I think it's all about having fun and making visceral, fun music. Everybody gets old, though mad.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Rise or Die Trying by Four Year Strong. Its not out yet (Sept. 18) but it leaked, and I've got to say, its the best album I've ever heard... I fully expect them to replace Fall Out Boy as the top Pop Punk band in the land.

If they are anything like fall out boy, I've got about 400 cds you should listen to first. grin.gif

JK, man. I'm an older punk now. All civilized and sh!t! Seriously though, I think it's funny what constitutes punk to different generations. And even the differences of opinion between the same generation can be bewildering at times. To me It's stuff like The Clash, The Ramones, MC5(look them up... a must), then there's LA punk(rhcp, gnr, etc), skate punk(Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Weezer), you've got the whole straight edge punk thing. Ska punk, There are so many ways to look at it. I think it's all about having fun and making visceral, fun music. Everybody gets old, though mad.gif

Very true. Eye of the beholder. For example, I have never thought of Guns N Roses, the Chili Peppers, Weezer, Beastie Boys, etc. as being punk. I think of the Clash, Ramones, Bad Religion, Dropkick Murphy, Guttermouth, the Bouncing Soles, Black Flag, At the Drive-In, etc.

Of course, I don't think of Fall Out Boy's pop as being real punk either. It is like significantly watered down Green Day.

Quote:

Quote:

duuuude! I love MC5! ...and Ska punk.

I should probably clarify about the fall out boy thing though, lol. Four Year Strong doesn't sound anything like them... I just meant that they'd take their place in the spot light. you'd probably actually like Four Year Strong. They mix all the fun of Ska Punk with the pure badassness of Hardcore/Metal bands like Lamb of God, etc... I fully expect them to change popular rock. I have a feeling you're gonna like what you hear on the radio 2-3 years from now. thumb3d.gif

man, i've been out of the loop bad. i haven't heard the newest common yet. honestly though, i think his best album was "resurection". the later albums had good stuff on them, but then had some really annoying things on them, too (like hardy boy mystery stuff with his grandmother? wtf?). "like water for chocolate" was a pretty good album. i didn't even realize Pharoah Monch had a new album out. i remember seeing pharoah, common, and either the roots or de la sol all playing together a few years back in atl (the spitkicker tour, maybe?), i think bahammadia played then, too. it was at uhh...i can't remeber the name of the place--it has a heaven level, and a hell level, i think it used to be an old church. anyway, that pharoah monch song, "simon says" was the theme song of the concert--it was hoppin' in there.

love the punk, too. dead kennedy's, the misfits, minor threat, a bunch of old louisville local bands from back in the day too. i been poor or lazy and haven't gotten anything in a while, or mostly just catching up with old stuff i've lost along the way. i did get the newest album by (athens, ga's own) Jucifer. it was pretty good, but i like their older stuff better, so i couldn't call it the album of the year.

That was the spitkicker show at the Tabernacle. Great, great show. That show was unbelievable, probably a top 3 show all-time for me. De La Soul was there, and they are so underrated, they've only gotten better with time. They were the ones who started spitkicker. Not a big fan of Pharoah Monch's new album though, it was a disappointment for me. Mos Def's last album was a big let down too.

Guest MLibid

Lascar, the Common album was pretty good.

I just realized today that the Talib Kweli album just came out. I have to listen to that before I can say what's the best album again. It might be up there along with Linkin Park.

I'm looking for a better album than MTMN by Linkin Park.

Wow, I hated that album and I am a HUGE LP/FM fan. I think they totally screwed up by going so soft for most of the album.

I definitely agree on the Common album being very good. TI vs TIP wasn't all that impressive to me, it started out good but it didn't last.

My favs so far this year:

51zGH6T3DML._SS500_.jpg

51mvHYpquEL._SS500_.jpg

517ggD6Rh1L._SS500_.jpg

Quote:

That was the spitkicker show at the Tabernacle. Great, great show. That show was unbelievable, probably a top 3 show all-time for me. De La Soul was there, and they are so underrated, they've only gotten better with time. They were the ones who started spitkicker. Not a big fan of Pharoah Monch's new album though, it was a disappointment for me. Mos Def's last album was a big let down too.

the tabernacle! that's it, thanks. didn't biz marke spin that night, too? it seems i also saw another show with common and talib kweli and others with the roots playing as the house band for the show. they were both within a couple months of each other, so i keep getting the line ups for the shows mixed up. both shows, though, were terrific.

i'm mixed on the mos def album. sometimes i like it, sometimes i don't. the one song that goes, "viacom, is running this rap sh*t. aol and time warner is running this rap sh*t..." is pretty powerful, though.

Quote:

If they are anything like fall out boy, I've got about 400 cds you should listen to first.
grin.gif

JK, man. I'm an older punk now. All civilized and sh!t! Seriously though, I think it's funny what constitutes punk to different generations. And even the differences of opinion between the same generation can be bewildering at times. To me It's stuff like The Clash, The Ramones, MC5(look them up... a must), then there's LA punk(rhcp, gnr, etc), skate punk(Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Weezer), you've got the whole straight edge punk thing. Ska punk, There are so many ways to look at it. I think it's all about having fun and making visceral, fun music. Everybody gets old, though
mad.gif

Yeah this new "punk" is more like "emo". Try Agnostic Front, Bad Religion, Minor Threat etc. etc. THOSE are punk bands.

Guest MLibid

The only band I see keeping punk alive is Rise Against. It's quite possibly my favorite band ever, and their album called 'The Sufferer and the Witness' is one of the best albums I've ever heard!

Quote:

the tabernacle! that's it, thanks. didn't biz marke spin that night, too? it seems i also saw another show with common and talib kweli and others with the roots playing as the house band for the show. they were both within a couple months of each other, so i keep getting the line ups for the shows mixed up. both shows, though, were terrific.

i'm mixed on the mos def album. sometimes i like it, sometimes i don't. the one song that goes, "viacom, is running this rap sh*t. aol and time warner is running this rap sh*t..." is pretty powerful, though.

Yeah biz markie was spinning. And I saw both of those shows also so I am also a little hazy on exactly who was where.