• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who is the teams most overrated player?

capstone21

• Premium Member

Quote:

My post had nothing to do with that. You said "Marvin is right where he was projected to be with his development." I'm saying that he hasn't "developed" because his PER got worse from year 1 to year 2. So exactly how did Marvin develop (as you say) ?

He broke his damn hand!!!!!!!!! Lord have mercy Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He broke his damn hand!!!!!!!!! Lord have mercy
Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

Smith had a hernia, obviously that limited his effectiveness as well /sarcasm. Smith's PER still shot up even though he was hindered, so did Chill's with his 2 fractured feet.

So did Marvin's per at the end of the season! What is your point???? banghead.gif

I don't like this thread.

People say Smith is the most overrated player but the bottom line is that other than JJ he is the only other Hawk who would start for most teams. He may be more overrated than the other players but that is for one simple reason;

the majority of the players simply haven't produced enough to be rated as anything more than average players.

And if you look at the way the Hawks have played the last two years when Smith has been out you can actually make the argument that he is underrated. This past season they looked like a high school team when Smith was out with his hernia.

This is too easy. Al Horford is without a doubt the most overrated. He hasn't even played in a league game and is already annointed by some as our "best post player", or "best defender", or "best big man". Please hold off on judging rookies until they hit the floor against other NBA'rs.

trophy.gif

Quote:

This is too easy. Al Horford is without a doubt the most overrated. He hasn't even played in a league game and is already annointed by some as our "best post player", or "best defender", or "best big man". Please hold off on judging rookies until they hit the floor against other NBA'rs.

trophy.gif

LOL yeah i would have to agree but i was only considering players on this past years team. Technically though we can't know if Horford is overrated or not until we actually see him play, but i doubt he will live up to the expectations that a lot of people here have for him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Here is where your logic is flawed! Most posters and experts expected Marvin to be the best prospect out of the 2005 draft but admitted that he was not NBA ready! Most poster with a few exceptions don't recite his rookie or second year numbers as proof that all of the experts were wrong about him because we read the fine print. Marvin maybe a little behind in his development but a lot had to do with injuries last year but no one in their right mind was projecting Marvin to dominate right away! In other words, he is right where he was projected to be with his development!

Reasonable minds can differ on this but I see Marvin as being behind expectations in terms of what he has shown on the floor but still regarded as having the same promise by many posters on this board. Consequently, when people fail to adjust their expectations or continue to rate him as an elite prospect when his performance hasn't shown signs of that to date, I think he winds up pretty overrated.

I think a lot of posters, you included, view him as an elite prospect which I think overrates his current play and progress.

Don't get me wrong...I like Marvin and am rooting hard for him to develop into a star. I just think he has some serious catching up to do to match how he is rated by a lot of Hawks fans.

• Premium Member

1. Marvin.

People still believe the hype?

2. JJ.

Yep, JJ. I really like JJ, but his salary and his position as an allstar and his position on team USA are all a bit overratedness. JJ is a very good player, but the positions that he has held would make me believe that he's a game changer. Right now, he's not in the same breath as Dwayne Wade, Tmac, or Vince Carter... Not to mention Kobe or Lebron. Moreover, his game is not diverse enough. My main concern is that I don't know if he has the ability to turn it on and turn it off. His salary says he does... and so does his accolades, but his game play isn't on that level yet (but he's close).

3. Smoove.

Smoove is a gamechanger on the defensive end, but he does a lot of hurting the team when he chuck up the three. In the media, his shooting percentage from three is rarely mentioned. But, he still puts them up!

I think almost all Hawks are significantly underrated across the league and get no respect. Even a player who has busted out like Josh Smith never even gets a whiff of a rookie game or a sophomore game.

I think most would agree that we do have some solid young talent. And yet, no recognition at all for the young guys.

My guess is that Horford will suffer the same fate because Woody will break him in slow and his numbers will suffer. Same with Law.

Woody can't help himself. He will go with the old vets down the stretch of games like Lue. Whereas Acie needs those minutes and would likely do fine.

• Moderators

I agree. League-wide, it is tough to argue any Hawks are being overrated. Of course, Atlanta's players are not going to be fairly rated (let alone overrated) by the national media or national NBA fanbase until we win some meaningful games.

Quote:

So did Marvin's per at the end of the season! What is your point????
banghead.gif

LOL, I don't even think you know what PER is.

Josh Smith PER 40 efficiency:

04-05: 15.4

05-06: 15.6

06-07: 18.4

Josh Childress:

04-05: 15.2

05-06: 15.8

06-07: 16.2

Marvin Williams:

05-06: 12.2

06-07: 12.2

Notice how Smith's and Childress's have increased every year, not to mention they are WAY higher anyway. Smith and Childress both played hurt for a considerable amount of time this past season and still managed to put up career PER's.

EDIT: I used http://www.basketball-reference.com/ if you want to check it.

Thats easy, Chris Paul. He is a flashy playmaker indeed. However he is a bad shooter, an outright target on defense and is the captain of a horrible offense. Since half this board talks about him like he were a member of the Hawks, I think he qualifies.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Josh Childress:

Marvin Williams:

Lord have Mercy! This is interesting in that you think that you have such a strong argument since Josh smith efficiency increased a whole .2 from his rookie season to his sophomore season! And the fact that you totally discount Marvin's broken hand during the season in which he had to wear a glove when he came back and subsequently re injured it in January. I'll have to agree to disagree with you because there is no logic here! zombie.gif

1) Josh Smith: While most Hawk fans wouldn't agree with this, I truly believe that some people think that Smoove is the most important piece to the Hawks.

2) Esteban Batista: Especially if you go by recent threads.

3) Salim Stoudamire: I personally will admit that I overrate the kid. I love his potential offensive explosiveness and overall scoring ability. Now, if he just could do it on a consistent basis . .

4) The rookies: A lot of us believe that Horford and Law can come in and immeadiately start. Others believe that they'll be starting by mid-season.

Most overrated by the media . . . definitely Marvin Williams.

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Childress:

Marvin Williams:

Lord have Mercy! This is interesting in that you think that you have such a strong argument since Josh smith efficiency increased a whole .2 from his rookie season to his sophomore season! And the fact that you totally discount Marvin's broken hand during the season in which he had to wear a glove when he came back and subsequently re injured it in January. I'll have to agree to disagree with you because there is no logic here! zombie.gif

LOL again you don't understand PER. Josh Smith as a raw rookie straight out of HS has a MUCH better PER than Marvin in his first or second seasons. Marvin played with a thing on his hand for about 10 games, Smith played with a hernia for longer than that, Childress played with a weak foot for much of the year. They all played hurt last year. Regardless, they outperformed Marvin by a mile.

Smith and Childress had similar PERs in their 1st and second seasons, but Marvin's is 12.2 in both, which is terrible. A ~15 PER isn't great, but 12 sucks.

I disagree on Salim. You can't overrate a second round pick. Besides he is the only player on this team that could potentially have a 50 point game...including JJ.

Salim problem is that he doesn't get the minutes that would allow him to build consitency. He scores 30 one night, then gets a DNP the next night. Its like expecting a pinch hitter to hit homeruns, but only getting at bats once every 10 games.