• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what's the opening day roster?

macdaddy

I'm going to break this down in order of who will be getting the most minutes on the court:

1. Joe Johnson - Obviously, Joe is the superstar of the team. He's the leader.

2. Josh Smith - Josh will end up getting a lot of minutes and will probably end up playing almost as much as Joe. He is a budding star that will make a major jump in his career if he can become more efficient offensively.

3. Marvin Williams - This is the year that most people felt Marvin would expand his game and become the player everyone felt he had the ability to become back in 2005. I think this will happen.

4. Josh Childress - He's the super sub on the team, but he will get starters minutes between the shooting guard, small forward, and even point guard position at times. He's my favorite for 6th man of the year at this point.

5. Al Horford - He's a rookie and may not start right off the bat, but he's going to be on the court a lot. The reason they drafted him was because he was ready to play, and the preseason has proven that he's ready. He will be one of the top candidates for rookie of the year.

6. Acie Law - He's another rookie that may not start at the beginning, but I've got a feeling he will end up playing more than the either of the vets that will probably start ahead of him.

7. Zaza Pachulia - Zaza will likely start at center, but I don't think he will play nearly as much as he has the last two years. I think his minutes will be decreased because he's a weak defender and inefficient offensive player, but he will play because he has some size and toughness.

8. Tyronn Lue - Tyronn is one of Woody's favorite players, but I think even Woody understands that if he wants Tyronn throughout the season that his minutes will have to be cut. We may see Tyronn start, and he will definitely play even though his minutes will be cut.

9. Shelden Williams - Shelden is the back up center, but I've got a feeling he will end up playing less minutes at center than Al Horford gets at that position.

10. Anthony Johnson - With Speedy out and Acie a rookie, Anthony Johnson could find himself starting, but I don't think the coaches will give him heavy minutes with Acie and Tyronn also on the roster.

To round out the roster, you have Lorenzen Wright, Mario West, Solomon Jones, Salim Stoudamire, and Speedy Claxton. Three of them will be inactive. My guess is, that could be Solomon, Salim, and Speedy. The other two probably won't get many minutes at all.

I think it should be an 8 or 9 man rotation of Law,JJ,Marvin,Josh Smith,Zaza as starters. Then have Childress, Horford, Sheldon, and maybe AJ or whatever point guard is doing the best. Everybody can slide between positions to make it work out rather well. That is the beauty of this team everybody besides the point guards can play more then one position. Even then you could really use AJ and Law at sg if you really had to.

Woody wants this lineup

Speedy

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Zaza

But since Speedy will never be healthy so it will be

AJ

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Zaza

But if we go 3-7 in the first ten we will resort to

Law

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Shelden

Then Marvin will get hurt then we will be

Law

Childress

JJ

Smoove

Shelden

He isn't smart enough to start Horford at center in the reg season.

Sekou was on Bill Shank's talk show the other day, and I believe he said AJ would be starting on Opening Night. I don't know if that was just because of Speedy and Lue's health or because he played for the Mavs last season and it might give them a little edge? Either way, I think if everyone other than Speedy is healthy, here's your 12 man team

AJ

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

ZaZa

Bench: Lue/Law/Chillz/Horford/Shelden/Lorenzen/West

Quote:

I'm going to break this down in order of who will be getting the most minutes on the court:

1. Joe Johnson
- Obviously, Joe is the superstar of the team. He's the leader.

2. Josh Smith
- Josh will end up getting a lot of minutes and will probably end up playing almost as much as Joe. He is a budding star that will make a major jump in his career if he can become more efficient offensively.

3. Marvin Williams
- This is the year that most people felt Marvin would expand his game and become the player everyone felt he had the ability to become back in 2005. I think this will happen.

4. Josh Childress
- He's the super sub on the team, but he will get starters minutes between the shooting guard, small forward, and even point guard position at times. He's my favorite for 6th man of the year at this point.

5. Al Horford
- He's a rookie and may not start right off the bat, but he's going to be on the court a lot. The reason they drafted him was because he was ready to play, and the preseason has proven that he's ready. He will be one of the top candidates for rookie of the year.

6. Acie Law
- He's another rookie that may not start at the beginning, but I've got a feeling he will end up playing more than the either of the vets that will probably start ahead of him.

7. Zaza Pachulia
- Zaza will likely start at center, but I don't think he will play nearly as much as he has the last two years. I think his minutes will be decreased because he's a weak defender and inefficient offensive player, but he will play because he has some size and toughness.

8. Tyronn Lue
- Tyronn is one of Woody's favorite players, but I think even Woody understands that if he wants Tyronn throughout the season that his minutes will have to be cut. We may see Tyronn start, and he will definitely play even though his minutes will be cut.

9. Shelden Williams
- Shelden is the back up center, but I've got a feeling he will end up playing less minutes at center than Al Horford gets at that position.

10. Anthony Johnson
- With Speedy out and Acie a rookie, Anthony Johnson could find himself starting, but I don't think the coaches will give him heavy minutes with Acie and Tyronn also on the roster.

To round out the roster, you have Lorenzen Wright, Mario West, Solomon Jones, Salim Stoudamire, and Speedy Claxton. Three of them will be inactive. My guess is, that could be Solomon, Salim, and Speedy. The other two probably won't get many minutes at all.

Agree with most but Zaza will get more minutes then Acie.

Quote:

I think it should be an 8 or 9 man rotation of Law,JJ,Marvin,Josh Smith,Zaza as starters. Then have Childress, Horford, Sheldon, and maybe AJ or whatever point guard is doing the best. Everybody can slide between positions to make it work out rather well. That is the beauty of this team everybody besides the point guards can play more then one position. Even then you could really use AJ and Law at sg if you really had to.

I pretty much agree LTHF...I figure we are in the "wear them out" phase of development. We should do very well at home, as long as we can close out close games. On the road we will likely struggle since our top 5 doesn't really match up against alot of other top 5's. We need a closer and hopefully a person a night will step up (I doubt it will be one guy - night in and night out).

I really wish Speedy could be healthy for the year. He's no offensive closer but he can do a lot of good things defensively. Then we just need somebody to step up and hit a couple late to get us a win.

Biggest problem (IMHO) is that we will have a bunch of guys who want to excel. If you could take our players like chess pieces and make them do exactly what you want them to do - we'd be golden. However, they are all human beings and therefore want what's best for themselves.

It's a concern. detective.gif