• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Golden State sent an offer for Smoove

Sothron

Quote:

Not much to add here except I agree 100%. Biedrins is a fantastic young center. "Soft Euro" is honestly an absurd term to use to describe his play. He actually plays so intense and physical the coaches have to get on him to lay off.

I can understand why Hawks fans would hate to do this trade but realistically it would give us a stable rotation with all five players matched to their natural positions.

I agree with the reason hell I'm for the trade but I I think we should sit on this offer and wait to see what else is on the market. I think we can get more from GS. It's clear they feel they can replace AB hell they offered him but he really fits our biggest needs and brings a lot to the table talent wise.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You aren't getting a better OFFER for Smith. This is the best the Hawks could realistically expect another team to offer for Smith. Now if the Hawks want to try and package Smith for an unhappy all-star like Gasol that's a different story...but don't expect BK to be getting offers such as Carmelo or CP3 for Smith any time soon.

I also don't think enough people are realizing how lop sided this is. Whether this makes the Hawks a better team is debatable(I think it could). This trade makes no sense for the Warriors because they would be forced to play an undersized PF at Center FULL TIME. It would never work yet some people expect GSW to offer even more.

I have always been a huge Smoove fan but Biedrins is a great young center that would immediately balance our team out. Horford and Biedrins would clean up the boards and give the Hawks a tough young defensive 4/5 combo and help clarify everyones roles in a true 1 though 5 lineup.

Sometimes to get quality you have to give up quality. In my opinion if we can trade a 3/4 rising star tweener for a rising star 5 we should strongly consider it.

Quote:

You aren't getting a better OFFER for Smith. This is the best the Hawks could realistically expect another team to offer for Smith

I would agree with this. However i still don't like the deal. People are assuming that Horford will just all of a sudden become a scorer when he hasn't been his whole career.

We need Smiths offense because not only does he score but he also forces the D to react to him and creates opportunities for other players.

Some call him an "inefficient" scorer but that is for one simple reason, he takes too many long jumpers. Take away his shots outside 18 feet and his shooting percentage is fine. That is not a tough correction to make.

It is funny how many people don't realize what we have in JJ and Smith. I like Biedrins a lot but the idea of trading Smith for him isn't very appealing.

Quote:

You aren't getting a better OFFER for Smith. This is the best the Hawks could realistically expect another team to offer for Smith. Now if the Hawks want to try and package Smith for an unhappy all-star like Gasol that's a different story...but don't expect BK to be getting offers such as Carmelo or CP3 for Smith any time soon.

I also don't think enough people are realizing how lop sided this is. Whether this makes the Hawks a better team is debatable(I think it could). This trade makes no sense for the Warriors because they would be forced to play an undersized PF at Center FULL TIME. It would never work yet some people expect GSW to offer even more.

The way the Warriors play they don't need a true Center, I don't know what there going to do but AB is a major KOO for the Hawks, I would do this trade in a second, it's too good to be true, like those trades in NBA 2k8 they are offered to you unless there is something I don't know that the Warriors and Hawks do. Zaza can get traded as well.

Over the last 2 1/2 games smith has scored 76 pts shooting 57% and has gotten to the line 36 times.

He has only had 3 bad shooting games this season and in each case he filled up the stat sheet in other ways. It seems some people want to criticize Smith when he shoots poorly but don't want to give him credit when he shoots well.

Quote:

Quote:

You aren't getting a better OFFER for Smith. This is the best the Hawks could realistically expect another team to offer for Smith

I would agree with this. However i still don't like the deal. People are assuming that Horford will just all of a sudden become a scorer when he hasn't been his whole career.

We need Smiths offense because not only does he score but he also forces the D to react to him and creates opportunities for other players.

Some call him an "inefficient" scorer but that is for one simple reason, he takes too many long jumpers. Take away his shots outside 18 feet and his shooting percentage is fine. That is not a tough correction to make.

It is funny how many people don't realize what we have in JJ and Smith. I like Biedrins a lot but the idea of trading Smith for him isn't very appealing.

Totally agree.

+ Smith is about to make a hyper-leap. This is a wrong time to trade him as his value is about to go up a lot. Biedrin's trade value won't make as sharp an upswing as Smoove's before the trading deadline.

Patience. At the least we'll know about Horford's value a little bit more.

We need to see Smoove under a real coach first.

Yes...Smith is likely a better player than Biedrins but once you consider positions it's likely a wash. Brandan Wright,Al Harrington,and Josh Smith are undersized PF's who can play a little 3...playing any of them at the 5 full time would be a disaster regardless of how fast they play.

I would also consider doing it even though I like Josh but I have to question why the other team would do it considering that it makes no sense for them what so ever. Why would GSW even consider moving Biedrins especially when they are loaded at SG/SF/PF. Biedrins and Baron Davis are the only two players they can't afford to lose because they have no one that could step up and replace them at the two most important positions ...point guard and center.

Quote:

Yes...Smith is likely a better player than Biedrins but once you consider positions it's likely a wash. Brandan Wright,Al Harrington,and Josh Smith are undersized PF's who can play a little 3...playing any of them at the 5 full time would be a disaster regardless of how fast they play.

I would also consider doing it even though I like Josh but I have to question why the other team would do it considering that it makes no sense for them what so ever. Why would GSW even consider moving Biedrins especially when they are loaded at SG/SF/PF. Biedrins and Baron Davis are the only two players they can't afford to lose because they have no one that could step up and replace them at the two most important positions ...point guard and center.

There build on athletcism and there is no player more athletic then Josh Smith, I'm not even a fan of his and I know that, he would trive in that offense, defensively there a help off the ball team so they don't play much man to man anyway, watching Josh Smith play this season proved he would do well on a team like that with structure. He would never do really good here becuase he has too much power here and the only way that changes is if he's gone. He would be nothing but a more athletic less smarter SAR on this team. He really fits GS more then any other team in the league.

If the Hawks made this trade, I believe it would go down in the same catagory as the Nique/Manning, Smitty/Rider trades. In an effort to develop a "better" starting five, Smith would go to Golden State, blow up, and Hawks fans would whine "boy, we should have kept him." Go to any barbershop in the ATL and you'll hear fans moan about all the players the Hawks let get away. I'm a native of this city and whether it's been the Braves with Brett Butler, the Falcons with Favre, or the Hawks and take your pick of a player, this city's teams have been notorious for giving up on talent too soon, only see the players develop elsewhere. The management teams spin it in a way where a part of the city finds a way to say "yeah, that makes sense."

Then, the player who gets traded "blows up" and we wonder why we didn't keep them. Our teams have bypassed, let go of too early, or traded away good talent time and time again and all the ATL has to show for it is one championship. The Braves is the only team here that finally got it right with personel decisions (for the most part).

Bottom line, something tells me, from what I've seen and what I believe, that Josh is something special. No knock on Biedrens, but if we're going to trade away a guy who is 21 (or under), whose scoring average is climbing, is in the top three in steals and blocks, and is constantly improving, hold off until you find a sweeter deal for someone who can really make you competitive. I don't believe Biedrens makes this team that much better (no knock on him). This deal smells of Nique and Manning. Nique wanted a new contract (Smith). The Hawks didn't want to pay him. Manning was available and "seemed" to fit the team concept and system better than Nique (like Biendrens). Nique was improving in all statistical and team catagories (Like Josh). Hawks made the trade anyway and sends Nique to basketball's Babylon through Pete Babcock, a questionable GM (Billy). This smells of disaster.

This ain't the move to make.

• Premium Member

From my perspective on the matter, Smoove being the better player is the main issue. I don't see Biedrins as being some prototypical "great" Center. I see him as being a PF turned Center just like all the rest. He's a decent enough shot blocker, but is he really better than Smoove? The fact that Smoove is putting the ball on the floor and driving instead of shooting those god awful threes make me say... NO Way.

I Understand the want to have the great Classical team. Heck, I preach it. However, I don't think that you take a cut in talent and marketing just to get it. Neither Al or Marvin has shown me enough to make me say Away with Smoove.

• Premium Member

I can't say for sure, but I was watching some of a GS game the other day and Patrick OBryant doesn't look so bad. He's not good, but he's going to be a real Center.

Let's face the facts though...

Biedrin's #s are inflated by the brand of uptempo GS runs. Basically, Biedrins is a good runner in a running system. GS does a good job of getting him the ball. BUT.. He can't stop anybody.

Smoove on that team for Biedrins would be the cat's meow!! Nellie would be proclaimed Executive of the YEAR and we'd be the punchline (Worse than CP3).

How dumb could the Hawks be?

Where is AB even mentioned, outside of GS? And yes I have seen him play. And there is a reason, he's outta the lineup...when they go small ball. There is also a reason they wanna get rid of him. Why Smoove? Why trade..the best all around player we have....for another teams 5th best. And yes he's the 5th best player on that team. Quit reading stats and watch his games

This has disater written all over it. Which sounds like something...this franchise would do.

Although, I don't think this would ever happen.

And please show me...where GS fans value him, so much. For some reason, my co-worker got real excited when I mentioned this move...I wonder why