Golden State sent an offer for Smoove

Sothron

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

GS would trade Andris Biedrins for Smoove straight up. We wanted a future first rounder with some lottery protection throw in and they balked.

Personally I am not sure why GS would want to trade Biedrins as he is the perfect center for the kind of offense they run. If Atlanta can't (and by can't I do in fact mean they actually could but don't want to spend the actual money) match Josh's RFA offer then they will lose him for nothing.

Not too much else to report, that was the only thing worth noting. The Gasol front is still a possibility that Knight is trying to explore, the Bulls are doing the same just as quietly but the Grizz don't want to move him.

any news about woody getting fired?

Quote:

Quote:

i don't get the obsession with biedrins

he's a great rebounder for sure; tho horford won't be much worse

he doesn't bring the defense that smoove brings, nor the assists or steals or blocks

he doesn't play the man defense as good as horford

smoove is a very UNIQUE talent and he is only getting better every year...the last two games he showed that he is ready to start driving and not settle for jumpers and as he matures (still only 22), he will become one of the best players in this game

why trade that away?

I totally agree. Biedrins is only a decent player because of the system he plays in. G-State is so small upfront, that if anybody gets a rebound, it's probably going to be him anyway. He's not the type of player whose skills can translate to any team he plays on. Kind of like Boris Diaw.

Or maybe a better example is Al Harrington. Al is averaging 21 ppg - 7 rebs - and is shooting a career high 54% FG right now. If he's that good, we should be trading to get Al back in the mix here.

That's been my point exactly, Biedrins is helped offensively because he plays with Baron and on one of the fastest paced teams in the league. It's like he's playing for the PHX Suns, he WILL score on that team. Imagine what Josh Smith would do for them, he is the quintessential player for that system.

Biedrins offense has been absolutely DISGUSTING everytime I've seen him, he only scores on putbacks, garbage points, and perfect passes from teammates. He can't shoot free throws at all, and his form is just nasty. On our team, he would not get easy buckets AT ALL. LMAO at people comparing 13 ppg on GS to 19 on ATL.

Quote:

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Biedrins is a true center, Horford is a true PF, and Marvin is a true SF who is also a borderline PF. All of them can rebound and play defense, and all of them are team-oriented, and stay inside their role in the offense. If Law comes through at PG, we wouldn't have a weakness, except for head coach.

Biedrins is 6-11 . . and MIGHT be 235 pounds. In reality, Horford is a bigger player than he is.

He's not a true center. He's a PF playing center on a very small team that likes to run. Skilled post players pretty much aren't scared at all facing Biendrins.

vs Clippers:

Biedrins: 12 points - 7 rebounds . . Kaman: 26 points - 18 rebounds

vs Utah:

Biedrins: 14 points - 9 rebounds . . Okur: 28 points - 3 rebounds

vs Cleveland:

Biedrins: 12 points - 10 rebounds . . Big Z: 22 points - 14 rebounds

vs Dallas:

Biedrins: 9 points - 10 rebounds . . Diop: 4 points - 5 rebounds ( in 15 minutes )

vs Detroit:

Biedrins: 18 points - 11 rebounds . . Wallace: 22 points - 9 rebounds

vs Clippers:

Biedrins: 23 points - 18 rebounds . . Kaman: 20 points - 12 rebounds

vs Toronto:

Biedrins: 15 points - 14 rebounds . . Maceo Baston ( lol . . the forward from Michigan? WTF is he doing starting at center for the Raptors? ) 4 points - 3 rebounds ( in 13 minutes )

With Biedrins in the mix here, we're going to have the exact same problem in the post, whenever we go up against decent post players. Biedrins is the type of player you give up expiring contracts, or maybe Shelden + Salim for. You don't give up a starter, especially not a versatile one like Josh Smith, to bring him in.

We'd have to get lucky again in the draft if we traded Smoove for Biendrins + 1st rounder. We'd have to hope we land in the top 3, and then hope that Roy Hibbert or some other big center, was available with that pick.

• Premium Member

It's funny because if you asked GS fans whether they would trade Beans straight-up for Josh Smith, they'd give you some of the same passionate "NO's" as you're reading on here. The truth is somewhere between the two extremes.

Again, if the Hawks are actively considering trading Smith, I think you can assume that either:

1. The AS is cheap/tied down financially, or

2. Josh Smith is a problem off the court.

I'd like to know more about those two things, but Sekou hasn't exactly been using his investigative reporting skills much lately.

Quote:

I would love a Gasol for Smoove deal.

Watched the Memphis game last night ( because SportSouth is KILLING ME by not showing Hawk games right now. I got a (( bleepin )) replay of the UT-Chattanooga vs Applachian St football game ). The Griz remind me of the Hawks so much.

It's no doubt they have the athletic talent. But they just can't close out game and they can't get stops when they need it the most. LOL . . and they also could use a BIG in the middle.

A Gasol - Smith trade, would meant that Smoove would be playing center for the Griz. LOL . . not sure how that would quite work out, but it would be intersting.

Like with the Hawks, the Griz TRY to play uptempo. And like with the Hawks, the Griz lose because they can't stop anybody.

I don't understand the comments about marketability. Smith is NOT AI. We are NOT selling out games. If we trade Smith for a center, then not only do we get an improvement at that position, but we get a legit PF too... Horford. It's 2 for 1. If Smith's talent never translates into wins (the modern version of perennial 20/10 SAR who never won anything while putting up great stats), then who cares how many stat columns he fills up?

(Has Smith ever won at a team level? Did any of his high school teams win anything, or his AAU Teams? Just curious if this guy has ever experience team success).

I'm not bumping for Biedrins, but the notion that Smith is somehow bringing tremendous attendance and therefore revenue seems like a reach.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes he is, you do not trade the face of this franchise unless it is for an All Star PG or C.

Biedrins he's ok nothing special..

Biedrins is a better young center than Bynum. He's only 21 and is already averaging 14/11/2. He's a better rebounder than Smith, a good shotblocker, and a true defensive center.

Look at some of the games he's had for GS:

Vs. LAC - 23/18/2

Vs. Detroit - 18/11/1

Vs. Denver - 31/10/1

Vs. SAS - 18/15/6

Vs. Milwaukee - 17/12/3

Vs. Sacramento - 20/14/3

Vs. Boston - 20/17/4

Vs. Seattle - 15/16/2

Vs. Memphis - 21/14/2

Vs. Washington - 24/12/0

Biedrins plays a position that is harder to fill and still has a ton of upside. Only Greg Oden is a better center prospect in the NBA.

I don't care unless we are getting Kobe or an All-Star PG or C. No thanks..

Bedrinas will be an allstar center this year.

Mark it down !

What centers are better then him in the West ?

Quote:

horford isn't better suited at pf guys

he played CENTER in college

he has put up 9/11 in the NBA at CENTER so far

he will do better against the 'centers' that are in the nba these days than the pfs like garnett anyway

Bedrinas should guard the Garnett types very well. He has the length to match them.

Then Horford guards the bruiser types likes Jefferson or Boozer.

I would be very hesistant to the deal straight up but I would think long and hard about it.

By the way, when is Bedrinas up for an extension ?

Quote:

It would be stupid to trade Smoove for Biedrins.

Our need for a Center is not that great. Not so much so that we would give up the most marketable player since Dominique.. One who is starting to come into his own and one who's presence on the court makes so great of a difference.

It's stupid. And regardless of if GS don't give up the first. They can give up and unprotected first, what difference will it make if it's #23 overall?

Seems to me that Diesel and northcyde are the only ones with a brain in this thread!

I don't think we should trade our young emerging star and the face of the franchise for another soft euro center. Biedrins also sucks at freethrows and his rebounding numbers are inflated with Golden State and the pace they play at.

I much rather keep developing this year and pay Smoove his money and let Acie and Horford develop.

STAY THE COURSE!

we do not trade smoove for anyone not named dwight howard or lebron james or kobe bryant...

the kid is a beast in the making...did u see how he was taking over the milwaukee game?

how he changes the game on both sides of the floor when his head is into the game?

how he has a semblance of a post game now...

if we got rid of him...

and traded him for some scrub...

he'd come to philips and own us harder than damien wilkins...

and get a quadruple double or something...

• Premium Member

It seems to me that only about 5 people in this thread have actually seen Beans play. He is NOT a soft Euro center, nor is he a scrub. He's a tireless worker (he's improved his free throw shooting each year), a good finisher inside, a great rebounder, a good shotblocker, athletic, can get up and down the court as well as just about any starting center in the league, and is still barely old enough to drink. He also moves extremely well (for a center) without the ball. Most of his points inside are easy points in the sense that Baron Davis & Co. often find him wide open, having seen him slip behind his man to the basket. He also handles the primary share of interior work on defense, because it's not like Al Harrington offers anything in the way of weakside help.

While I can completely understand not wanting to give Smith up for anything other than a proven veteran, Biedrins is about as good a center as you could ever hope to get in exchange for him. It's perfectly acceptable to simply not want to trade Smith, and you don't have to make trash up about the other team's player to justify it. Biedrins is as beloved by Warriors' fans as Smith is in Atlanta, and there's a reason for that.

Quote:

I just looked up Biedrins stats this season:

13.1 ppg, 10.7 rpg, 2.1 bpg, .607 fgp.

WE NEED TO DO THIS TRADE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biedrins gives us the size and length we desparately need, he rebounds better than Smoove, he blocks shots at about the same rate, he's still young with upside, and he even scores about the same per game but gives you over .600 percent shooting from the field.

Basically, that means Biedrins could replace Smoove's offensive production without all the terrible shots. And he fits in with our whole quick, long, athletic, and versatile thing because he's athletic and fairly mobile and can run the floor and guard two positions.

With Biedrins and Horford at the 4 and 5 spots, suddenly we would have more size at both those positions than almost any other team we played, but we really wouldn't have much of a drop-off in terms of quickness and athleticism, and we'd probably have a more efficient offense.

I'm down with this - please get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I first seen this thread I was like bye Josh, but now that I think about it we should wait for more offers.

• Premium Member

Not much to add here except I agree 100%. Biedrins is a fantastic young center. "Soft Euro" is honestly an absurd term to use to describe his play. He actually plays so intense and physical the coaches have to get on him to lay off.

I can understand why Hawks fans would hate to do this trade but realistically it would give us a stable rotation with all five players matched to their natural positions.