• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Gasol's slump may lead to Hawks!

Diesel

• Premium Member

I can see us taking a shot at Gasol IF we continue to slump...

The question is what would we trade.

Immediately, I think that Smoove can make the deal work. Or Horf.

However, if he continues to Slump, I say we look at this package:

Chillz/Zaza/Shelden/Lo to Memphis for Gasol/Navarro.

Here's the deal:

It's a move to save money for Memphis.

Maybe it even becomes a three way where Chillz ends up somewhere else and they get another team involved..

Here's what I have:

Chillz/Damon Stoudamire to Clipps.

Zaza/Shelden/Maggette/Lo to Memphis.

Gasol/Navarro to Atlanta.

I think a MJC/Miller/Gay/Maggette/Darko lineup is set to run!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Memphis would probably want Horford but I seriously have to question rather or not we'd be better off spinning Smoove to them. Horford/Gasol could rotate at PF/C and Marvin could hold down the SF spot.

Financially, sending Smith makes more sense than sending Horford. However, you would also hope to send Claxton.

I saw where he had 7 blocks last night. So even though he is not scoring as much as normal he is playing defense.

Has anyone seen him play this year. Is his lack of scoring due to not geting shots or is he just off ?

I am really anxious to see Smith tonight and he handles Duncan.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I can see us taking a shot at Gasol
IF
we continue to slump...

The question is what would we trade.

Immediately, I think that Smoove can make the deal work. Or Horf.

However, if he continues to Slump, I say we look at this package:

Chillz/Zaza/Shelden/Lo to Memphis for Gasol/Navarro.

Here's the deal:

It's a move to save money for Memphis.

Maybe it even becomes a three way where Chillz ends up somewhere else and they get another team involved..

Here's what I have:

No way Memphis does that deal. Diesel, the Hawks is the team that won't spend money.

I'm against Gasol, he couldn't defend a tree. Why do you think that memphis would move this guy? I get the memphis games instead of the Hawks games (I have to wastch the Hawks games on my laptop) and when the Grizzlies lose it is mostly because Gasol's man takes him to the woodshed.

Gasol would not imnprove this team!

• Premium Member

I would rather wait it out and see what Smoove is going to do. I think Gasol gives us a good low post player (even though he doesn't like playing Center)...

BUT...

I like Horf and Smoove for the future. Maybe they are out of position... Well, yeah they are... However, if we can find that Center like Diop or Hibbert... then I think that we will have to make some moves at our forward position... but until then, we can play undersized and uptempo.

• Premium Member

The problem with your scenario is that financially we have to commit to both Smoove and Marvin to keep them here. And then Horford comes due. We can't afford to pay three guys to basically fill two starting roles. I think at some point we will see Smoove or Marvin moved and Horford given the starting PF spot.

I can see a Horford/Gasol PF/C rotation working because both guys could interweave and compliment each other.

• Premium Member

I think the problem with Gasol is that up-tempo and Gasol don't mix.

Memphis is becoming a premiere up-tempo team.

Ivaroni is not going to go back to a inside out game when he has great atheletes like Gay, Miller, and Lowry...

Darko has already eclipsed what Gasol can offer in that offense so there's no need for them to stick with Gasol at his pricetag.

Getting Smoove would be what everybody in Memphis would want. A guy that they can plug at PF next to Darko/Gay and would offer a great advantage on defense (BLOCKS).

In all actuallity, Memphis is a mirror to us except they have the PGs to run the system, they have the bigs to run the system, and they have the coach that can coach up-tempo. We actually have the forward tandem that is neccesary for up-tempo and we definitely have the depth. This season is of major importance to us because we have to figure out what we're going to do.

IF we did go for Gasol, we're going to have to become a halfcourt team.

Quote:

The problem with your scenario is that financially we have to commit to both Smoove and Marvin to keep them here. And then Horford comes due. We can't afford to pay three guys to basically fill two starting roles. I think at some point we will see Smoove or Marvin moved and Horford given the starting PF spot.

I can see a Horford/Gasol PF/C rotation working because both guys could interweave and compliment each other.

I think you can make it work with either Smith or Marvin at SF. Smith is the higher risk, higher reward guy, and likely the more expensive one. Marvin's the (or at least I think he will be) steadier, less exciting, lower impact (positive and negative) guy. I think if we could land a legit C that would kind of be a "co-best player" alongside JJ, then losing Smith and keeping Marvin doesn't sound so bad. If we need one of these two guys to be our "co-best player" alongside JJ, then is till lean towards keeping Smith and working him from all angles to keep him focused and to hone his game to be a superstar.

I personally would rather play alongside Marvin, but I would still rather build my franchise around Smith if those are my only two options.

I really hope we find a way to keep them both while becoming a contender, but it may not b possible.

• Premium Member

It's the same money.

It's only one ending contract in that bunch (Lo's)... It cuts Shelden/Chillz salaries from the books.

So that kinda makes room for Marvin. Smoove must be paid.. Period.

This team will have to spend money.

Unfortunately, we prolly won't be able to move Speedy unless it's with Smoove.

• Premium Member

That's the problem (sadly) with what you are proposing: the Spirit spending money and being to dump, er, trade Claxton to some other team. I'd love to see a way to get Gasol here w/o losing Smoove, Al or Marvin but I just can't see it.

• Premium Member

Again...

I think when you talk about our players, all are tradable, but there needs be conditions for instance.

No trade of Smoove or Horf without Claxton.

No trade of all Lue, AJ, and LO without us getting back a good player!

No trade of JJ without getting back an allstar.

If we must part of Chillz, we have to get a position of need + BU SG..

I think capwise, it's not as big of a concern as you make it. I think we will resign Smoove... but if we are not winning, I think most bets are off!

It's really sad that a lot of people here would rather part with Smoove.

I think the BIGGEST reason smoove is having problems right now is...you guessed it! Woody.

Wow Woody developed Josh Smith?.......c'mon

That's like saying Woody "developed" Michael Jordan.

Smith is just dripping with talent all around, Woody didn't do jack.

Get a real coach in here and see Smoove REALLY blossom.

Quote:

Here's what I have:

No way we trade Gasol for freaking Corey Maggette who will be an unrestricted free agent.

I do think Gasol would be a nice fit in Atlanta.

Gasol/Navarro/Hakim Warrick for Smith/ZaZa/AJ or Lue(cut)/Lorenzen Wright(cut)/Salim Stoudamire/2010 1st rounder is a good deal for both sides.

Law/JJ/Williams/Horford/Gasol....Navarro/Childress/Warrick/Shelden

Conley/Miller/Gay/Smith/Darko...Lowry/Kinsey/Stro/ZaZa

I think that balances both teams roster better.

• Premium Member

Back to the rule.

You don't get Smoove without Claxton.

If we were up for trading Smoove to Memphis with no other parters, here's a trade that could work for both teams:

Incoming Players

Juan Carlos Navarro

6-3 SG from Spain (Foreign)

7.7 ppg, 1.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 16.1 minutes

Hakim Warrick

6-9 SF / PF from Syracuse

7.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 12.8 minutes

Damon Stoudamire

5-10 PG from Arizona

7.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 4.2 apg in 18.9 minutes

Pau Gasol

7-0 PF from Spain (Foreign)

16.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.2 apg in 33.2 minutes

Outgoing Players

Josh Smith

6-9 SF from Oak Hill Academy (HS)

19.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 3.4 apg in 35.1 minutes

Lorenzen Wright

6-11 C from Memphis

No games yet played in 2007/08

Tyronn Lue

6-0 PG from Nebraska

6.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 2.3 apg in 20.1 minutes

Zaza Pachulia

6-11 C / C from Georgia (Foreign)

6.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.8 apg in 15.4 minutes

Speedy Claxton

5-11 PG from Hofstra

No games yet played in 2007/08

2010 lottery protected 1st round pick

Here's the deal.

We don't really need Warrick, he just makes the deal work. You get 2 ending contracts, Smoove and Zaza. Smoove is a good pickup because he steps in as your Pf and he fits an uptempo system that Ivanroni wants to set up. He also becomes the most marketable player in Memphis. Yes, even more Marketable than Gay!!

Zaza would be the best BU C in the game. He's offensive!

You guys save about 8 million in cap room next year.

We take your log jam PG, and the Gasol package (assuming the Gasol would be happier with Navarro). Gasol is not a perfect fit for Atlanta yet. It would require us giving up our desire to be uptempo and conforming to a halfcourt type system. However, that would be doable with Gasol/Horf/Marvin. We just won't have the spark we had with Smoove. However, for us to make that trade, it would require us basically saying "we need to make that trade". I think it's a far way off!

• Premium Member

I think that some of what you said is true, but i believe if Smoove would have accepted a 5 year 50 million dollar deal, he'd be resigned right now. I think in the end, he's holding out and risking his career over 7.5 million extra if that. However, there's a lot less that he could risk his career over... I just hope he learns from Ron Gant about being foolish.

As far as the salary cap.

This move actually takes Smoove and Speedy off the books.

That's a longer term contract and a contract that has to be drawn up gone...and we still have at least 2 ending contracts left on the roster. Plus we get an allstar type Big who can play Center to be JJ's sidekick. I think AS would make me their man of the year if that deal could be brokered... at least from a salary cap point of view. Talentwise, we get a wash that might turn into a loss. It all really depends on Smoove's relations with the other players and Gasol's desire.