• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Great Win!!

D.R.P.

What a great win; revenge is so sweet!

Props to Marvin for carrying the team in 1rst Half. Which allowed Joe to rest up and take over in the 4th quarter (TAKE NOTE DIESEL).

Props to Anthony Johnson for outplaying Deron Williams. Who resents trading a second round pick for him now? Who was that talking about trading him before the season started?

Props to Joe for taking over when we needed him too. That's what the great players can do; they can take it easy for the first 3 quarters then take over in crunch time.

Props to Josh S. for playing a good all around game, and for not jacking up 15+ shots.

All around just a great win against a team that went to Western conference finals last year.

P.S. Woody's a lot better coach when he has less choices to make as far as who to sub in and out. No reason Marvin and Josh S. can't play 45+ minutes some nights.

bannana_guitar.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else we learned and I hope Woody noticed.

Hawks don't have to have JJ in the game ALL the time.

Things go much better when he can come in with fresh

legs and then he can REALLY do his thing.

Being in foul trouble, having to sit, made all the difference later in the game.

Great team effort. Hawks played as a team tonight!!

Back up to .500. Hitting those free throws made the

difference. If our worthy opponent had hit theirs,

they win. They didn't and we won!

thumb3d.gif

• Moderators

That was an exciting game to watch. The crowd was much more into this one than the T-Wolves game (the last one I was at).

If Josh Smith had been able to stay out of foul trouble, he could have accrued some scary stats.

Marvin was excellent. I don't know why they don't run plays for him for long stretches at a time.

Horford had his best offensive game of the year - very assertive tonight. Not a great night on the boards but got some in the fourth quarter that were key.

JJ was very solid - hit some key shots and was the focus of the offense (surprise) down the stretch.

West gave some good minutes off the bench and even hit an open J.

Shelden was pretty aweful tonight and did not do a good job of blocking out when he was in.

Zaza was a mixed lot tonight - some very good plays mixed with some very bad ones. He is a solid big off the bench.

Solomon made a cameo but did nothing.

And Anthony Johnson was the man of the match. He was overmatched trying to stay with Deron at times but hit some really big jumpers and did a good job running the offense. His stats look better than he really was as a playmaker but he did set some people up for nice assists - in the post and on the break especially. IMO Deron didn't really come to play because he broke down AJ and our D almost effortlessly when he wanted but he didn't seem to have the desire to expend that kind of energy tonight. Our gain! laugh.gif As a result, AJ ended up outplaying him and helping Atlanta clinch a big win.

For the Jazz, Brewer looked very good and Boozer was an absolute beast. Kirilenko was solid and Deron was pretty dissappointing - if you are a Jazz fan and I'm not so that was all good. wink.gif

Hard to argue with any of that. Great all around game for the most part. I was able to watch some of it and the crowd was very much alive in this game. But on the Solomon point, it's kind of hard to do anything when you only get 3 seconds of PT in the game. But everyone did their thing...all without having to rely on JJ the whole game.

Great win tonite indeed! Was at the game with "iman" (thanks Carl) and xcoach. The crowd was indeed more alive than usual, especially in the 4th qtr. Very entertaining game all around. Back and forth all game and lots of offense from the Hawks. I think they shot something like 57% from the field! Joe is back on again and Marvin also had a great game. AJ was HUGE running the offense and hitting 3's. They played a very smart, disciplined game tonite. Good ball movement...nice passing...smart shots.

Josh didn't take that many long jumpers and was HUGE again on D with blocks and rebounds. Josh can contribute in so many ways...he has totally won me over. If he continues to play this way, he is the "2007-8 NBA Defensive player of the year". Horfy was great and his streak of 4 baskets in a row gave us the momentum back for a while. The kid is more amazing every game and you just can't believe he's a rook.

Can't wait for Wed and Shack and Co. Hope we play the same way on Wed! Let's get over .500!

Quote:

Quote:

This team right now has a better record than I expected them to have at this point and time.

Not surprise since you always expect nothing out of this team! I thought that you were done with this team weeks ago anyway!

Blow Me haha.gif

Gee... I wonder why I never expect anything of this team. It's obviously because they never do anything.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Props to Marvin for carrying the team in 1rst Half. Which allowed Joe to rest up and take over in the 4th quarter (TAKE NOTE DIESEL).

I think you need to give Props to the true heroes of the first half...

That would be Mario/AJ in the first.

Horf in the second Qtr.

In the 2nd Qtr with about 9:20 left on the clock, Utah was in the penalty.

Everytime Marvin fell down (literally) he was going to the foul line. That's not carrying us.

Horf scored about 10 straight points and got to the point where he as calling for the ball....AGAINST BOOZER... and then finding JJ when they doubled him .... BEFORE WOODY TOOK HORF OUT OF THE GAME?????

Where was Marvin?

when you consistently take less than 10 shots and score 16-20 points a game...you are doing something right...

marvin tipped some balls and had a nice putback of a miss by JJ and also had a nice turnaround fadeaway jumper...

oh and there was another play where he caught the utah defense sleeping and pulled a j. chill and cut in front of boozer for a layup and he got fouled on the play too...

really woody if you are going to take out someone... and sub in chill...take out joe...in the first quarter let him get some rest! marvin plays consistent smart basketball.

I finally saw a swagger out of Marvin. Did you see the look on his face after he dunk and was foul in the process? I agree with TexasPete, why is there so much hate for Marvin? The guy does his job with consistency, never causes trouble and is improving. His numbers for a 32 year old would be solid, much less a 21 year old.

• Premium Member

Being a contributor and carrying a team are two different things.

FT trips, tip ins are good but that's nothing that a basketball team can hang it's hat on.

Marvin did the same thing he does every night (pace adjusted). Sure he's consistent, but when we needed somebody to step up for JJ... It wasn't Marvin doing anything more than he usually does..

It was offense from AJ. Offense from Mario.. Offense from Horf.

These second string guys step up and Marvin just does his same ole same ole...

I'm not bashing Marvin because we're glad that he's consistent...

I'm just saying there is not other level to Marvin. He doesn't have the ___________ to carry this team. When we need a Reggie Jackson (Mr. October), we're getting a Cal Ripken.

Quote:

Quote:

I think you need to give Props to the true heroes of the first half...

That would be Mario/AJ in the first.

Horf in the second Qtr.

In the 2nd Qtr with about 9:20 left on the clock, Utah was in the penalty.

Everytime Marvin fell down (literally) he was going to the foul line. That's not carrying us.

Horf scored about 10 straight points and got to the point where he as calling for the ball....AGAINST BOOZER... and then finding JJ when they doubled him .... BEFORE WOODY TOOK HORF OUT OF THE GAME?????

Where was Marvin?

He was on the floor, ALL NIGHT, helping his team win. He didn't have a 3 possession stretch like Al did where he took over for a brief spurt, he was constistent for 48 minutes and helped his team the whole game.

I saw Marvin calling for the ball in the post multiple times last night - sometimes it came to him, sometimes it didn't. His getting to the FT line was a huge factor in winning this game (as was JJ's and Smith's - I have no problem spreading credit to where it's due) as the Jazz had ALL of their forwards and big men in foul trouble - ALL OF THEM. Think that didn't affect the outcome of the game?

Al, AJ, Smith and JJ were all huge contributors, but so was Marvin. You could argue that without any one of those guys the team would have lost last night. Does that make them all "superstars"? Not necessarily. Does that make them all "role players"? Not necessarily.

Keep on bashing his solid, good, and very good performances in big wins, I'm glad you gets ome satisfaction out of that. Think about what you're doing.

Take a step back and think about how hard you're working to get Hawks fans to turn against one of their best players and most dependable contributors.

Think about it, and ask yourself what the f*@k you're contributing to this forum and Hawks fans in general by constantly trying to attack a guy that's giving the team exactly what we need from him.

Quote:

I beg to differ. There were parts in the game when JJ, Marvin, and Horford carried us offensively. Your right when Horford scored 8 staight point you can say where was Marvin all you want. He was spacing the floor so Horford could get those looks and have space in the paint to work with.

Marvin is becoming a very smart player who plays within the team's concept, within his own abilities, and normally plays within the flow of the game. In the 2nd quarter with 9:20 minute left, Utah was in the foul penalty. Marvin took it upon himself to flip the switch and become aggressive offensively and put the ball on the floor so he could take advantage of the situtation. That 2nd quarter was HUGE. We getting beat at the point and Marvin's agressivness helped get us right back in the game.

Why diss one of our players for that ? I think he deserves props. He would deserve to be dissed if he played passively when Utah was in the pentalty. Thank goodness for us the 21 year old is smarter then that.

Quote:

Quote:

I beg to differ. There were parts in the game when JJ, Marvin, and Horford carried us offensively. Your right when Horford scored 8 staight point you can say where was Marvin all you want. He was spacing the floor so Horford could get those looks and have space in the paint to work with.

Marvin is becoming a very smart player who plays within the team's concept, within his own abilities, and normally plays within the flow of the game. In the 2nd quarter with 9:20 minute left, Utah was in the foul penalty. Marvin took it upon himself to flip the switch and become aggressive offensively and put the ball on the floor so he could take advantage of the situtation. That 2nd quarter was HUGE. We getting beat at the point and Marvin's agressivness helped get us right back in the game.

Why diss one of our players for that ? I think he deserves props. He would deserve to be dissed if he played passively when Utah was in the pentalty. Thank goodness for us the 21 year old is smarter then that.

And one last rant from me. Why does one poster get to decide when a player is "stepping up" and when a player is simply contributing per usual?

How can one poster claim that one possession where player A takes control and plays aggressively is more important than the possession when player B takes control and plays aggressively?

Most of Marvin's production came in the 1st-3rd quarters when Joe's shot was off and Smith was in and out with foul trouble. That's when we NEEDED his scoring and defense the most, and he was there. In the fourth when Joe was taking over, Marvin helped facilitate and take care of the dirty work. That's what we NEEDED him to do.

HEY, DIESEL, EVERYONE KNOWS HE WAS THE WRONG PICK, NO ONE'S CLAIMING HE'S A FREAKING SUPER STAR (except maybe 1 poster out of the dozens that come here), WE'RE JUST TIRED OF THE WAY HIS PLAY IS CONSTANTLY DISCOUNTED WHEN IT SHOULD SIMPLY BE ACKNOWLEDGED!!!!

NOT PRAISED

NOT CELEBRATED

NOT EXAGERATED

JUST ACKNOWLEDGED!!!!

• Premium Member

I'm not dissing Marvin for going to the line.

I'm saying Marvin did nothing special and nothing extra than he normally does.

When Horf is posting up the whole Utah team and calling for the ball and passing out to open players... That's something we can hang our hat on and build on and get excited about.

However, JJ goes out... For just about a whole quarter, it wasn't Marvin carrying the team. It was AJ and Mario carrying the team.

When JJ gets back in, it was Horf carrying the team.

Did Marvin pick up the scoring load at any time?

Did Marvin make Utah's defense change at any time?

Did Marvin's scoring make up for the Loss of JJ's at any time?

The truth is NO.

Marvin stayed in his little circle and did what he does. That's all.

If Marvin was a mailman, he'd just put Mail in the box.

Whereas a superstar Mailman might walk the mail up to your door. He might leave the packages close to the house. If he knows you're away, he might leave your mail with the neighbor that he knows you talk to all the time.

Some nuthugging idiots like Bumpy want to call Marvin a superstar when Marvin does nothing superstarish.

Diesel won't be happy with anyone unless they are top 10 fantasy players. He wants Marvin to start shooting 3s, blocking shots, taking charges, playing point guard, and play like what Josh Smith with a jump shot...

who knows...

but give the kid a break...

there have been a few times there Marvin has absolutely punked whoever was guarding him this year...

he just needs to do it more i guess...

• Premium Member

Quote:

He wants Marvin to start shooting 3s, blocking shots, taking charges, playing point guard, and play like what Josh Smith with a jump shot...

I see the hyperboyle and sarcasm... and I don't want all of those things for Marvin..

However, what about a 3 point shot.

What about him just having a stretch where he calls for the ball several times in a row and produces?

Why not a time where he asserts himself as our true second option?

I'm not talking about 4 FTs and one dunk and then he rest for the rest of the quarter...

Moreover, don't you think we deserve that from him giving all we gave up to get him??

Marvin is "the promise".

We were promised when we drafted him that he would be our superstar.

Let me remind you...

We gave up:

SAR, Theo, Big Dog, JT, Walker, and Harrington (not to mention Paul and Deron) for the chance to get Marvin and give him 35 mpg.

Don't we deserve something more than a consistent jumpshot and an occasional trip to the FT line... What Superstar can you name have made a living off of those things? Superstars step up... score in the clutch, become what their team needs at the time....

Shouldn't we want the same from Marvin?