• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Iverson trade seems unlikely....

Diesel

• Premium Member

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/...onfactorsi.html

In reply to:

Nothing changed since last week," 76ers president Billy King said Saturday night.

If King is able to interview Cheeks, one of his first questions will concern Iverson. King most likely did this with candidates Jeff Van Gundy and Tubby Smith last week, when each decided not to pursue the job.

King has refused to comment on the 76ers' coaching search. But at last Monday's press conference he said, "We're going to build around the foundation we have now. Allen is a big part of that."

Iverson is notorious for not practicing, which he rarely did toward the end of the season, always citing minor injuries that were never enough to keep him out of games.

"I would expect that dealing with Allen will be a big part of what causes the Sixers to hire someone," said John Nash, a former 76ers general manager and now an analyst for Comcast Sports-Net. "But what does it say when you had a Hall of Fame coach in Larry Brown who was unable to get Allen to do what most coaches expect - practice and get to the games on time?"

Unless King has spoken to Cheeks and Cheeks has said that he wants NO PART of Iverson... Then it's unlikely that a trade has been done.

Also, The 76ers don't have the cap room to just get Arenas. Even with DC going, Van Horn's contract is ridiculous and Snow and McKie still pull down major figure...aside from Iverson.

• Premium Member

I can see the same deal going down....

JT/Reef for Iverson/McKie (Snow).

If Philly felt that Iverson was too hard to work with and it was a hinderance to them getting a coach.

Face it, Atlanta needs an Identity. Iverson would provide that. He gives us an instant street appeal. Just like Vick. I'm not saying he makes us a winner. That's far from the truth... Because what's left is:

Snow/Iverson/Big Dog/Theo/Nazr.

The only thing this team bolsters is some defense.

And it would be more like that Nazr is also traded for a PF. Wouldn't it be interesting... IF Nazr/Hendu went to Milwaukee for Tim Thomas/Gadzurich/Filler.

I mean...

Snow/Iverson/Big Dog/TT/Theo.

It's an exciting brand of Basketball.

Philly would have:

JT/Mckie/Van Horn/SAR/Dalembert....

Hmmm.

Maybe there's something to this.

I hope this is just an internet rumor. I like the Answer's skills but watching him play night in and night out would get old real fast. Sure he's a competitor and all that but it's like watching 1 on 5.

I can't understand how we can trade Reef. He's one of the top 2 power forwards in the East. All we need is some ballhandling and a healthy DJ and we are in the playoffs.

Package Big Dog and our second rounders for Ricky Davis and filler. Let Ricky run with JT for some dunks and use his long arms on defense.

I would love to lineup JT, RD, DJ, SAR, THEO.

• Premium Member

If Iverson actually had some guys around him that could hit a shot on a consistent basis, the 76ers might be able to determine if he could distribute the ball well enough to be a PG. He's probably the best penetrating guy on the planet - with an athletic PF he could create a lot of opportunities.

That being said, I doubt anyone would ever let him try.

call me crazy, but I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE iverson here. We all know that no bigname FREE AGENT would come here to ATL (well atleast to play basketball).

Yes Iverson does complain, Yes he does try his best to skip Practice, Yes he gave Brown a hard time....

But HE DOES take his team to the playoffs, cares about WINNING, and starting this year- started to have faith in his teammates and get them more involved. I watched Iverson a good bit this year and its disgusting watching his team play. No ONE on that team is capable of creating for themselves other than iverson. When shotclock is against the team, iverson bails them out (sometimes, but hes the only one that tries). Its not his fault that his teammates cant shoot or have offensive skills.

Wat i like about him the most???

- HE PLAYS EVEN HARDER in the playoffs... gets the serious look on. Game TIME! Didnt he score 50-something at one point in this years playoffs? The guy can play. According to SHAQ, hes the best littleman in this league.

- U can rely on him to play game in and game out. If he cant play, then theres REALLY SOMETHING GOING ON.

also...

------------------------------------------------------------

"I like the Answer's skills but watching him play night in and night out would get old real fast. Sure he's a competitor and all that but it's like watching 1 on 5."

- thats how it is with MICHAEL VICK. He throws the ball and scrubs have STONE HANDS and couldnt catch a perfect throw. Next thing u know, he runs and its 1 on 5... makes professionals look slow/unathletic.

THE SAME WITH ALLEN IVERSON

------------------------------------------------------------

Look, now dont get me wrong. Im not FOR TRADING SAR. In fact, im not in favor of trading anybody.... but as a ATL HAWKS FAN, im willing to trade anyone just to get this team winning.

Its all about winning. If this deal does go through and IVERSON cant get us winning, then i was wrong. I just wanna win.

• Premium Member

Why not?

I like Iverson. I think he'd bring a face to Atlanta. Maybe some free agents will want to play here. Maybe some Games will be picked up by NBC. However, there are conditions.

The trade in my mind would be:

JT (SNT)/SAR for Iverson/Snow.

I would then use the draft pick to select a strong PF like David Wood out of Xavier and play him and Nazr and Hendu a lot.

Defensively, Iverson is the best Defensive 2 this side of Kobe.

Offensively, Iverson would draw a crowd every night.

The one question is, would we be able to trade Big Dog.

I don't know how Big Dog would respond to Iverson. However, I'm more interested in How Snow would season the ball. Everything about us says run and gun but Big Dog.

Maybe a Big Dog for Spreewell trade could be next...

Then the Hawks would be called Thugs for life.