• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou's take

exodus

Five things (revisited)

By Sekou K Smith | Thursday, December 20, 2007, 12:59 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Can we keep this clean today? No pot shots at anyone, particularly your boy Blog-Z, who has taken numerous, un-Christmas-like digs from all over the place around here lately.

Last night’s win over Miami was a jaw-dropper. Most of the people that came up to me after the game were stunned that the same team that couldn’t hold its water against Seattle and Washington last month could pull of its second straight bare-knuckle affair (the first was Monday’s win over Utah).

My quick thoughts on five things (that have become clear to me over the course of the past two weeks):

JOHNSON AND JOHNSON=OFF THE HOOK: You get 47 points, 18 assists, four steals and just three turnovers from your starting backcourt in a win where they make the go-ahead baskets in the final minute and five seconds of an overtime affair. Anyone out there foolish enough to question Joe Johnson’s commitment to winning and playing at an elite level is just plain misguided. Dude’s a monster, as Heat coach Pat Riley so aptly pointed out after the game: “Joe was great. He hit a couple of runners in transition and he had a 3-point play in transition. And Anthony Johnson hit two big shots as well. They’re a good team, and we tried every way that we could to win.”

TOUGH WAY FOR MOURNING TO GO: If we did see the end of Alonzo Mourning’s inspiring career, nothing should stick out more than the way he went off the floor after tearing his right patella tendon. He waived off the stretcher and walked off like the warriors he’s always been. People were already debating his Hall of Fame worthiness after the game. I think he has to go in eventually (remember, it’s not just what you did as a pro but your entire basketball career. And he was at or near the top of his class every step of the way).

TWO WINS IN THREE DAYS: They could turn out to be the two most important wins in the Billy Knight era, if these last two wins mark the turning point for this team. Never mind the opponents but focus more on the circumstances and the way the Hawks won both times. They bowed up, finally, and willed their ways to wins when things could have very easily gone the other way.

GIVE MARVIN HIS DUE: Keep banging on Marvin Williams all you want, but understand that this kid won’t be punching bag much longer. He’s proving to anyone willing to pay attention that he’s for real this season. He dropped a smooth 20 and 10 on the Heat and played the ideal game with Josh Smith and Al Horford in foul trouble all night. Most impressive was that he didn’t back down from taking some big shots just because he’d missed a few. He kept firing and came through when the Hawks needed him most.

TOUGHER THAN LEATHER: The test sample is still at the lab but the early indication is that this Hawks team is simply tougher than it has been in the past. No one’s sure if it’s just another year’s growth or what? But this team has shown grit so far this season that just was not there before. Admit it, when Dwyane Wade got that three-point play in overtime you thought it was a wrap for the Hawks. But they’ve given us every indication that those days are over. We’ll just have to monitor the sample and see how things work out.

click

Anthony Johnson has had a couple of great games, but I hope nobody thinks this is going to last. We really need a speedy point guard to start the break, get the ball up the court and distribute it to one of our slashig forwards.

Anthony Johnson is old as dirt, looks it and plays it for the most part. Is Acie this type of player? I doubt it. Maybe we need to move him to get a speedy point. I just wonder how good this team can be if they had somebody to get the ball up the court.

This coming draft might have a few quick point guards, unfortunatley we won't have a pick.

• Premium Member

If you watched Acie last night, I think you would see it a little differently. Acie is not as Physical as AJ but he's definitely faster and better in traffic. Acie brings the dimension of drive and dish. Acie's shooting has not been great but work can be done on it.

I too would like to see a younger guy come in as insurance. The problem is that it's a very hard mix to find. Like I said before, Damon Stoudamire is a guy we should consider. There's also Duhon. I don't know what Chicago would ask for Duhon, but if it's not a core player, we should consider it strongly.

at least we all know it's a contract season. if that is what it takes for one of these vets to get off their ass and play then so be it. the way i see it, let AJ have his fluke year moment and take us to the playoffs. Acie should be able to contribute more in year 2.

In his best years he averaged less than 10 points a game and just over 5 assists. But give him his due. He's a vet player who knows his role and what he needs to do. He's doing that and being JJ's running mate. That's worth a new contract. I don't remember him playing this under control.

P.G. Old or young? Fast or slow?

Doesn't really mattter in the big picture.

What does matter, you ask??

Can he get the job done?

Right now, Anthony Johnson is getting the job done.

Is he old? Yep. Is he playing over his head? Maybe.

Can he continue this pace all season? Sure he can,

because he's not played major minutes for some time.

That means he is rested and ready for extended time.

Another thing, some of us old birds are tough.

Wiley old vets who know all the tricks can overcome

a lot of youth and enthusiasm.

We need Acie Law IV to get well - completely. If he

can give us a few minutes a game without hurting his

recovery time, great! Do it. Otherwise, let him heal.

smile.gif

Quote:

I do have to admit when Wade made that three point play after Marvin was screwed on the other end I thought the game just ended. That comeback was just awesome!

If anyone DIDN'T think the game was over after that then I don't think they have been following this team.

Nobody who has been following this team for more than a year could have been optimistic after that 3 point play and complete collapse.

But apparently these New Hawks don't fold.

D Wade was unbelievable. His passes, shots, defense, competitive spirit. I would love to see him matched up agianst Jordan in him prime.

And yes, I was very surprised the Hawks could pull that game out after leading for so long and giving up the lead at the end. Real character game.

I would think the only guy in the league more dangerour than Wade for a final shot would be Kobe. But Wade is such a fantastic passer in addition to shooter.

Great Win

Quote:

If you watched Acie last night, I think you would see it a little differently. Acie is not as Physical as AJ but he's definitely faster and better in traffic. Acie brings the dimension of drive and dish. Acie's shooting has not been great but work can be done on it.

I too would like to see a younger guy come in as insurance. The problem is that it's a very hard mix to find. Like I said before, Damon Stoudamire is a guy we should consider. There's also Duhon. I don't know what Chicago would ask for Duhon, but if it's not a core player, we should consider it strongly.

Good to see young teams grow up. Loving Marvin Williams development.