• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sothron redux: Atlanta...standing offer for Gasol

MemphisX

I would love to have Gasol. I think he could take us a level higher. Maybe not to a championship contender level - but higher than we are now...you never know. I've softened on Woody here lately. If he wants to make us a Pistons look-alike (style-wise) sobeit. You take the athletic bunch we have (minus whatever we have to give up) and add Gasol's low post moves (he can actually make a layup) and you have an improved team IMHO...very much improved. detective.gif

I would include Marvin in a trade for Gasol but not Smith. A deal that includes Shelden or Z, Marvin, and Lue would be very appealing but my guess is that the Grizz want Smoove.

I would hold tight because the Grizz ship is sinking fast and at some point they need to move Gasol. I know that Chicago will certainly make a run at Gasol again and you have to wonder if their package is better than ours. With the awful year Hinrich is having I'm not sure that he is still untouchable.

The Grizz need a SG and we don't have one. Gasol is someone I would like to have but he still doesn't answer the need for a defensive presence on the inside. He would be a great low post option and would help the offense but certainly not the defense.

I look at this proposed trade in the following manner:

Smoove, Gasol and Horford

V.

Marin, Gasol, and Horford

I actually go with the latter instead of the former. Marvin spreads the floor with his shooting much better than Smith does. With Gasol, Horford can move over to the PF and provide the rebounding, and shot blocking on defense. Gasol gives the Hawks a legit low-post scorer. This opens the floor up for Marvin and JJ to hit open jumpers. Getting Gasol weakens the Hawks open court defense, but strengthens the half-court offense considerably, which is needed in the playoffs. With Gasol, the Hawks can challenge the top tear teams in the East in the play-offs.

I would rather not give smith up, but if the trade is for Gasol, then Smith being traded is the better move from a complementary skills view.

If the Hawks are giving Smith and Sheldon plus filler then they need to get a future 1 in the mix. It would have to be top 10 protected for two years and then lotto protection. But, Gasol is not enough for Smith and Sheldon.

Just my random thoughts on a Sunday evening regarding this trade idea.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Please take him....

I get the Grizz games instead of the Hawks and I live in eastern TN (what gives?).

Gasol would not fit in with the Hawks. Gasol is sloooow and plays NOOOOOOOOO defense. He is a decent scorer on the low block, but it is a finese game not a low block power game. I watched the New Orleans Hornets against the Grizz the other night and D. West of the Hornets absolutely shut Gasol down and he is only a stretch at 6-9. Gasol does not get back on defense.

The Hawks would make a large mistake trading Marvin or JSmoove for this bum. Unless BK thinks JSmoove will never grow up of course, that would be the only thing I could see in a standing offer.

Don't do it BK!

Quote:

I have the same question. It's got to include Za, Chill and Lue? Shelden? He make 13.7 mil so that's got to include several of our players.

That's the deal someone suggested in the comments in that link that MemphisX provided. But get this . . .they said Zaza, Chill, Lue, Shelden, and Wright, for Gasol, Lowry and Navarro.

That's an interesting deal on the Memphis end because they'd take on guys whose contracts expire either this year or next year. They definitely wouldn't re-sign Zaza after the 09 season. And they'd definitey let Lue and Wright fall off the books. So the only real decisions they'd have to make, are with Chill in the summer of 2008 and Shelden in 2009. They could either keep one or both of them, or not match any offer sheet for them.

In essence, it's a potential salary dump with a team from the East that they'll only see twice a year. And it puts them in positon to make a run at a restricted free agent . . . like a Smoove or Emeka Okafor. I could definitey see a team like them going all out for either of those guys, just for their shotblocking, athleticsm, and rebounding. Smoove would probably be the target, and we'd be compelled to match the offer if we make the playoffs ad Smoove plays well.

For us, Gasol provides a very good low post/midrange threat on the frontline, Lowry the extra PG to go along wit Acie, and Navarro the possible 3-point threat off the bench. Adding those contracts, plus re-signing Smoove, probably puts us at or over the cap ( I think ). But I'm perfectly OK with that.

Adding a big like Gasol, without losing Smoove, takes this team to another level. You replace Zaza and Shell with Gasol. Definitey an upgrade. Losng Chill will hurt, but the blow is softened by adding Lowry and Navarro.

Lineup

PG - AJ / Acie / Lowry / JJ

G - JJ / West / Navarro / AJ or Acie / Salim

F - Marvin / JJ / Smoove

PF - Smoove / Horford / Marvin / Jones

C - Gasol / Horford

I bolded the 10 players that i think that Woody would use in the rotation. With this squad, JJ might have to play a little more at the 3, to compensate for the loss of Chill, which he did just fine when Chill was out. And because of that, he'd have to rebound more.

Horford would go to the bench, but would still be vital to the frontline. He probably see his minutes decrease only slightly. He'd still play more center than PF. And he'd probably play more minutes than Gasol, to try to keep him less injury prone.

In certain situatons, we could go "big" and put Smoove at SF, with Horford and Gasol alternating at the 4/5 spot.

The obvious downside to this lineup, is that if one of the frontline guys went down, we'd HAVE to play a guy like Solo. And if something happened to JJ or Marvin, we wouldn't have the "luxury" of replacing them with Chill.

If the Griz keep losing, ( they're beating the Spurs right now ) they're going to move Gasol. But it probably won't be until Feburary. Interesting deal for bot sides though.

from Hoopsworld:

Mike Miller also has been mentioned as trade bait in national reports. But one thing to keep in mind about the Grizzlies is that they won't accept expiring contracts for their top talent. Teams, though, have become more serious about trades since Dec. 15, when free agents from last summer could be dealt.

I disagree D.

Marvin is showing a sustained development curve. Smith has been up and down. Marvin has an increadibly consistant jumper. Smith's jumper is not great. Marvin has better handles than Smith. Marvin's decission making, IMO, is bettrer than Josh's.

Josh is a better weakside defender and shot blocker. Both guys are bad at blocking out on the block; however, I've noticed that Marvin is working on getting better at it. Smith is definately a better rebounder, but he is still inconsistant. Smith, without a doubt is more athletic, but that atheleticism has not produced a consistant, dominant player (yet). Again, I am not for trading Smith, but it if it was between the two for Gasol, then I choose Marvin.

My point is that Marvin is a much better blend with Gasol and Horford than Smith. If we kept Smith there would be even less outside shooting than there is now. Gasol and Horford need the floor open so they can score in the low post. Marvin's jump shot keeps the floor open. Smith doesn't spread the floor at all. Its all about getting complementary players. Marvin, Horford and Gasol is a more complete skill set than Smith, Horford and Gasol.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I disagree D.

Marvin is showing a sustained development curve. Smith has been up and down. Marvin has an increadibly consistant jumper. Smith's jumper is not great. Marvin has better handles than Smith. Marvin's decission making, IMO, is bettrer than Josh's.

Josh is a better weakside defender and shot blocker. Both guys are bad at blocking out on the block; however, I've noticed that Marvin is working on getting better at it. Smith is definately a better rebounder, but he is still inconsistant. Smith, without a doubt is more athletic, but that atheleticism has not produced a consistant, dominant player (yet). Again, I am not for trading Smith, but it if it was between the two for Gasol, then I choose Marvin.

My point is that Marvin is a much better blend with Gasol and Horford than Smith. If we kept Smith there would be even less outside shooting than there is now. Gasol and Horford need the floor open so they can score in the low post. Marvin's jump shot keeps the floor open. Smith doesn't spread the floor at all. Its all about getting complementary players. Marvin, Horford and Gasol is a more complete skill set than Smith, Horford and Gasol.

The way I look at it, Gasol would bring in many of the same traits that we would lose in Marvin.... with of course a big boy post game to add. However, defensively, I think Smoove's defense and Gasol/Horf's interior defense would be stellar!! I have yet to figure out what Memphis would want other than Cap space, but I figure getting a guy like Smoove is any team's pleasure. However, we still are a different team without Smoove. He really helps our defense..especially in transition. Yesterday around the 5 block mark, you could see how he was keeping us in the game. Marvin (while he's a consistent shooter) doesn't have the same impact on a game as Smoove.

Among the players who should get used to hearing their names in trade rumors before the February 21 deadline: Cavaliers SG Larry Hughes, 76ers PG Andre Miller, Heat PG Jason Williams, Pacers PF Jermaine O'Neal, Grizzlies PFs Pau Gasol and Hakim Warrick and Sonics G/F Wally Szczerbiak. Gasol would benefit most from a change of scenery. He has not proved to be a good fit for coach Marc Iavaroni's uptempo offense. ...

Let the rumors begin.

Quote:

Among the players who should get used to hearing their names in trade rumors before the February 21 deadline: Cavaliers SG Larry Hughes, 76ers PG Andre Miller, Heat PG Jason Williams, Pacers PF Jermaine O'Neal, Grizzlies PFs Pau Gasol and Hakim Warrick and Sonics G/F Wally Szczerbiak. Gasol would benefit most from a change of scenery. He has not proved to be a good fit for coach Marc Iavaroni's uptempo offense. ...

Let the rumors begin.

I don't see (and wouldn't endorse) the hawks making any deals during the season.