• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Charlotte better than Hawks?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was checking the league pass yesterday and I caught a little of the Charlotte NJ game.

I was so disappointed after watching. NJ did the same things that they did against us... However, Charlotte was just unstoppable. Charlotte started with JRich scoring. He went on a flurry... in the first half. In the second half it was Nazr/Wallace/Okafor.

Why didn't we take a chance on Nazr again? This guy is good!!! He offers a big body and soft hands. He plays strong . He's a guaranteed 2 points if he gets the ball in the post. Jrich just plain outplayed Vince Carter. I would almost say Exposed VC...

I don't think we match up well with them now...

matching up is one thing but adjusting how we play is another. Woody gets an "F" for that.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. That's how Woody coaches and his ability to use his personnel effectively rates a "D-". Fire Woody.

• Moderators

I'm not a big Nazr fan. I wouldn't call his post moves unstoppable. Who was guarding him? But maybe he'd be an upgrade over Zaza and Lo but would it be enough to get him PT with Woody?

Woody has done a good job in some areas but I think our progression has been largely health, experience, Horford and AJ. It doesn't seem like we ever win because we have a better game plan or run plays that the other team can't stop. In fact the game plan looks the same almost every game regardless of the matchups.

I would not call the Bobcats a better team then us. The main difference I see in the NJ games are that J. Richardson had a good scoring game vs. the Nets while JJ was ice cold vs. NJ.

When your star is cold others step up. Smoove did step up and it was almost enough for a win. Too bad Horford was in foul trouble.

I would not say the Bobcats are better team then us. I would love to see Horford out run Nazr and Smoove out run Okefor all night long. Nazr is a decent big but does not have the length to bother Horford. Horford should match up very well vs. him and Smith could draw Okefor, (their best shot blocker), out of the paint on defense.

I do agree that the Bobcats are much improved with Nazr b/c it frees Wallace up to play his natural poistion at SF rather then PF.

• Premium Member

I plan to tape the Hawks game and watch the Bobcat Celtics game live (well, while flipping back and fourth).

I think the Celtics has a team that finds their opponents weakness. It will be interesting to see JRich vs. Ray Allen and Pierce vs. Wallace. I think Charlotte is young but may be able to matchup with the big three (Defense to offense).

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I do agree that the Bobcats are much improved with Nazr b/c it frees Wallace up to play his natural poistion at SF rather then PF.

I wonder what would happen if the Hawks tried playing their players at their natural positions for a few games.

What lineup are you envisioning?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder what would happen if the Hawks tried playing their players at their natural positions for a few games.

I didn't understand that post either.

Wallace is, without doubt, a better SF then PF.... while Smoove is, without doubt, a better PF then SF.

One is 6'7', 210 lbs

The other is 6'9'', 235 lbs.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wallace is, without doubt, a better SF then PF.... while Smoove is, without doubt, a better PF then SF.

One is 6'7', 210 lbs

I remain uncertain as to whether PF is really Smoove's best position. As far as his size is concerned I will remind you he is smaller then Marvin. I actually think Marvin's body is tailor made for the PF position because of his long arms and big butt. That said, I am not sure if it would suit him from a skills perspective.

I also would like to see Horford at PF to see how things shake out with him.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

One is 6'7', 210 lbs

I remain uncertain as to whether PF is really Smoove's best position. As far as his size is concerned I will remind you he is smaller then Marvin. I actually think Marvin's body is tailor made for the PF position because of his long arms and big butt. That said, I am not sure if it would suit him from a skills perspective.

I also would like to see Horford at PF to see how things shake out with him.

Woody played Horford at PF some last night with Lo at center. He did that with ZaZa too earlier in the year. (Just Z has lost his confidence and is deservingly in the dog house).

Right now we often have a mismatch in the front court at all 3 positions. Marvin normally has a size and length advantage at SF, while Smith has a quickness and atheltic advantge at PF like Horford has at Center.

I do agree at times in the game Horford should flip to PF (which he does). Smith will rest 12 minues a night. That is a whole quarter worth of basketball each game where we could be seeing Horford at PF with a bigger center beside him. Right now we are seeing Marvin at PF more then Horford b/c of the lack of a quality center other then Horford ....causing Horford tp spend most of time C.

I agree that geting a better center would benefit the team but I do not agree that Smith is a better SF then PF. We saw what happened when AK47 moved exclusively from PF to SF. He could no longer take advantage of his skill set.

Trooth be told... it is really up to the opposing defense to decide whether Mavin or Smith are the PF or SF on offense. LeBron was guarding Smoove in the 4th quarter last night. Defensivey Marvin, Smith & Chills, were takng their turns guarding LeBron (Sf) last night. Smith guarding LeBron caused him to only get 2 reounds and 1 block. When he was not guarding Lebron, man on man, he was the help defender trying to stop his drives (with Horford). (Clevelad is a unique team wih Lebon....most teams would not be able to do this ....but again I stress that this was too our advantage....Ceveland was adjusting too us and not just us adjusting to Lebron.......it allowed JJ

So what does that make Smoove and Marvin ? They are both versatile fowards that cause match up problems nightly b/c no other teams have fowards as versatile as ours.(The Sonics are building this too with Durant and Green).

I see this as a great luxury and not a problem. Both Marvin and Smith will add polish to their offensive games in the coming years and can swith on defense at will causing screens and picks to be less effective vs. our defense. I do not think either Marvn or Josh is near their potential and also think they can work long term together.

All we need is Joel Pryzbilla, Jeff Foster, or even Nazr type. I do agree with that part.

Bobcats beat the Celtics last night and made you look good.

Richardson went for 34. Earlier in the year Richardson was struggling to adjust to his knew team and the team was struggling. Very much like the Hawks or any team who are not elite for that matter....when your best player & only All Star, is off its tougher to win.

With Richardson playing well and Wallace being able to switch over to SF for good, they could eaily get back into the playoff hunt.

Looks like a tough playoff race that will go down to the very end of the season. That would be great for our young team's growth...to expierence and conquer a playoff race. It should happen !

Quote:

I think the main difference is that now they have Bigs who can score. We don't have that yet.

Just one game.

I think Nazr's scoring night was an outlier and not the norm. Celtics had an off night. No Allen, no Big Baby, and Pierce was cold. Depth is the C's only weakness and that will hurt in, grind it out, 7 game playoff series.

Nazr is an ugrade over ZaZa, Lo, and Shelden.

Still, I'd take:

Horfor vs. Nazr

and

Smoove vs. Okefor

I'd take those matchups all day ever day. Smoove is just too fluid for Okefor to handle, same with Horford on Nazr. I think the Bobcats end up going back to small ball vs. the Hawks and bench Nazr and put Wallace back at PF.

JJ / Richardson - close matchup but JJ probably has the edge

Wallace / Marvin - close but Wallace has the edge

Felton/ AJ & Law - close but Felton has the edge (for now)

Similar teams for sure.