• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fratello and Carlisle should be our choices

jezmund

I agree....SAR/Dog need to be bullied around.Theo

is pretty much going to do what he does....JT might

be alittle soft for a coach like Rick though.SAR/Dog

need that coach that will challenge them.

First of all, Mike Fratello is the best teacher of defense in the NBA. He can take a cast of NBDL players and make them a good defensive team.

Secondly, he has been known as a hardass coach in the past. Stan Kasten says the reason he was fired in 1990 was because some of the players were ready to kill him for working them too hard. It turns out that this is exactly what this team needs.

Thirdly, I think he would approach this job as if he has unfinished business to do. He had this franchise on the cusp of winning a championship in the late 80s. The Hawks had one off year (1989-1990), and they fired him.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim is a player who needs this type of coach. Look at his entire career. He's always been a steady, efficent player who is one of the 25 best in the league right now, but he's never had the caliber of coach that can get him to elevate his game.

but thats not gonna happen.. so back to Fratello.

Im a fan of his. I prefer him over Carlisle.

The hardest practice coach is PAT RILEY without a doubt. He has his team running drills til they're about to throw up. He has 4 hours practices with nothing but suicides. U either hate that or respect that as a player in this league.

To be honest though, i would want a coach like Phil Jackson... heres what i like about Phil

1)He has that "if a player comes to the NBA, im not going to teach him basketball. He should have learned basketball before he got here" attitude. All because ur a 1st rounder doesnt make u a starter in his book. U earn ur minutes!

2)Prepare- hes gotta be one of the greatest coaches that motivates and prepares his team. At times, he cancels practice and just goes over TAPES with his players. He points out their mistakes and tells them what they should have done. And everyone knows about his ZEN meditations.

Not to mention- he always does his HOMEWORK.

3)Attitude- he doesnt get too caught up in the game. Hes usually calm and makes his players learn from their mistakes. People question his moves at times but at the end- it all makes sense...

4)Challenge- he challenges his players. plain and simple.

5)Chess-Playing ability. As a coach, theres only soo much u can do. But hes a great leader when it comes to mind tricks. After reading this book*, Shaq talked about how Phil would sometimes complain about calls early in the game (opening minutes) so that way he'd get more calls in his favor throughout the game. Next thing u know, the lakers are in control from the very beginning and his opponents are trying to catch up from the start.

6)Define Roles- hes probably one of the best coaches at defining roles for his players

*i read "SHAQ TALKS BACK" by SHAQ a while back and after reading that- i can tell PHIL was/is a good coach.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think the hawks need a person whos

1)Prepared- does his homework and prepares his guys. Goes over videoclips and tells them what they are doing wrong.

2)Define roles- we HAVE to have 1 leader. JT/REEF/ROBINSON all being leaders wont work... they will rely on each other TOO MUCH and wont step up. IMO- the leader should be REEF hands down. Hes the most talented at his position.

3)Challenges our players- i think REEF would benefit a lot from some criticism from a coach. He wont back down from a challenge... hes too skilled to.

• Premium Member

Phil Jackson has an awesome success rate but that's only because he chooses the most dominant force in the game to coach. Remember, Phil Jackson turned down NJ right before taking the Lakers Job. It wasn't money.... It was talent. Phil needs the most dominant force in basketball to be the winner that he is.

On our team, we need somebody who can teach and who will command respect. I think Phil is a bad mix. I look at how he treated his players in the past:

Rodman.

Rice.

Then I think about our team and the triangle. We'd fail. Reef would become a Who???

What we need is a coach who instructs but also commands respect. Don't get me wrong, Phil Jackson will command respect, but Phil doesn't develop players. Look over his career. He is like Riley in many aspects.... Namely, he has the believe that you should already be good on this level. He's a good manager of talent but we need that and an instructor.

Therefore, I think Fratello is a much better choice at this team. If Reef already has the confidence of an allstar, I'd say Phil. If JT was a good PG, I'd say Phil. If Big Dog could trust his teammates and play inside a system with them, I'd say Phil. But now, I say Fratello.

The problem I see with Carlisle. Yes, he will come in and be a hardasss... But I think he would put a lot of our players on the backburner instead of developing them. Namely JT. I think becuase of his style of play, Carlisle would bench him.

Fratello has already stated that JT needs to be taught and developed as a PG.

• Premium Member

I happen to believe that JT and Grob would fit into a PJ scheme...

BUT SAR and everyone else would become meaningless. Plus, Phil likes Big Gaurds. He would need a Big Gaurd or a Point Forward to run the offense.

I think PJ could use JT with guys like Shaq and Kobe(JT

wouldn't have be a real PG)but with a team designed

like ours I don't think he would be able to use JT

effectively.

"BUT SAR and everyone else would become meaningless."

He already is alot of times when he dissappears.