• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Somewhat firmly in the Playoffs

Nicholasp27

we are 5 games back from .500, with a great shot at being only 4 games back after that Miami game is settled

9th place teams (ie non-playoffs) are 10 games under .500

so we are pretty firmly seated in the Playoffs at this point

additionally, the 10th place teams are 2-8 and 4-6 in their last 10 games, so they aren't surging

lastly, 8th place in NJ, which has Kidd demanding a trade, so they will likely fall way down in the standings after that trade which likely won't bring them back equal value

so as bad as things are lately, this year we should decently easily make the playoffs

Well being a fan of Atlanta sports nothing can come easy.

No telling what type of surge a team below us could have and there is always that "I" word.

But the fact that we have such a legit shot at making the playoffs and there is this negative atmosphere at Hawksquawk as if we are 2nd to last team in the conference instead of 2nd to last in the playoff seeding is ridiculous.

Who gives a rats ass if we back door our way in the post-season? The most frustrating thing about this team has been MISSING the post-season for a decade. If you make the post-season ANYTHING can happen. WHo knows what this young team could do if they make the playoffs.

There is the possibility of getting embarassed in 4 straight games, but it's not guaranteed. You clearly have better odds than the 7 other teams sitting at home. You clearly don't want to give Phoenix another lottery pick.

There is no reason why people should not want to make the post-season

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well being a fan of Atlanta sports nothing can come easy.

No telling what type of surge a team below us could have and there is always that "I" word.

But the fact that we have such a legit shot at making the playoffs and there is this negative atmosphere at Hawksquawk as if we are 2nd to last team in the conference instead of 2nd to last in the playoff seeding is ridiculous.

Who gives a rats ass if we back door our way in the post-season? The most frustrating thing about this team has been MISSING the post-season for a decade. If you make the post-season ANYTHING can happen. WHo knows what this young team could do if they make the playoffs.

There is the possibility of getting embarassed in 4 straight games, but it's not guaranteed. You clearly have better odds than the 7 other teams sitting at home. You clearly don't want to give Phoenix another lottery pick.

There is no reason why people should not want to make the post-season

The fan base is what it is around here. You'd think that we were a perennial playoff team BEFORE this season by some of the talk around here. We're firmly entrenched in the playoffs and we still can't get out of negativity mode. And what's up with all of these "trade JJ" posts? I hope that's just a knee-jerk reaction rather than an actual opinion. Did you really expect the guy to average 25 ppg this season with Smoove's and Marv's improvement? This isn't fantasy basketball here. The guy's averaging 21 ppg on a playoff team. If we don't want him, I'm sure that there are SEVERAL teams out there who could use him. When did it become the the "in" thing to be so negative during times of "relative" success? It's not just the Hawks, I'm talking about the Falcons too. What the heck has happened to this fanbase? confused.gif

Quote:

The fan base is what it is around here. You'd think that we were a perennial playoff team BEFORE this season by some of the talk around here. We're firmly entrenched in the playoffs and we still can't get out of negativity mode. And what's up with all of these "trade JJ" posts? I hope that's just a knee-jerk reaction rather than an actual opinion. Did you really expect the guy to average 25 ppg this season with Smoove's and Marv's improvement? This isn't fantasy basketball here. The guy's averaging 21 ppg on a playoff team. If we don't want him, I'm sure that there are SEVERAL teams out there who could use him. When did it become the the "in" thing to be so negative during times of "relative" success? It's not just the Hawks, I'm talking about the Falcons too. What the heck has happened to this fanbase?
confused.gif

Atlanta has the worst fans in all of sports.

Most of the fans are bandwagoners and the few diehard fans are as doom and gloom as they come.

You're right, people act like we have the standards of a franchise like San Antonio.

We are a team that hasn't made the playoffs this freaking century. Not only are we finally in position to finally do that, but we are doing it with the overwhelming majority of our team being young talent with considerable upside.

But since we aren't doing it with a winning record like the Blazers, people don't appreciate it.

But the truth is, with these fans, even if we were doing as well as the Blazers I bet there would still be complaints.

In fact I KNOW.

Quote:

Quote:

The fan base is what it is around here. You'd think that we were a perennial playoff team BEFORE this season by some of the talk around here. We're firmly entrenched in the playoffs and we still can't get out of negativity mode. And what's up with all of these "trade JJ" posts? I hope that's just a knee-jerk reaction rather than an actual opinion. Did you really expect the guy to average 25 ppg this season with Smoove's and Marv's improvement? This isn't fantasy basketball here. The guy's averaging 21 ppg on a playoff team. If we don't want him, I'm sure that there are SEVERAL teams out there who could use him. When did it become the the "in" thing to be so negative during times of "relative" success? It's not just the Hawks, I'm talking about the Falcons too. What the heck has happened to this fanbase?
confused.gif

Most of the fans are bandwagoners and the few diehard fans are as doom and gloom as they come.

You're right, people act like we have the standards of a franchise like San Antonio.

We are a team that hasn't made the playoffs this freaking century. Not only are we finally in position to finally do that, but we are doing it with the overwhelming majority of our team being young talent with considerable upside.

But since we aren't doing it with a winning record like the Blazers, people don't appreciate it.

But the truth is, with these fans, even if we were doing as well as the Blazers I bet there would still be complaints.

In fact I KNOW.

This is what happens after years of losing. It is the same in Memphis. The fans are not bad, people generally just don't like to associate with losers. When you start weinning big, it will be like night and day. The fans will come and the board will be more positive especially if it looks like you might be able to compete for the finals.

Guys I appreciate your perspective, but I'll make it real simple for you. People are negative right now because we have just been through our season's worst losing streak. If we win a couple games in a row the tone will change.

It's not just losing though, it's how bad we looked in losing. There are about 7 teams within 3 1/2 games of each other for the 7-8 seed. We do not have a comfortable lead with the way we've been playing.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Guys I appreciate your perspective, but I'll make it real simple for you. People are negative right now because we have just been through our season's worst losing streak. If we win a couple games in a row the tone will change.

It's not just losing though, it's how bad we looked in losing. There are about 7 teams within 3 1/2 games of each other for the 7-8 seed. We do not have a comfortable lead with the way we've been playing.

I'm not so sure about that Quest. Even when we were kicking butt in December there were people being downright negative about the team. This place is getting more and more like the AFMB everyday. The media outlets around here aren't much better. The only reason the local media wasn't in on the negativity was because the Hawks have been irrelevant in this town for so long. Now that we're actually in the playoff hunt, and we have a hiccup this month, we see articles calling for BK and Woody's head. It gets old really quick. Now I keep reading all of these borderline troll-like posts about JJ and/or Smoove. It reminds me of the hate that some Falcons "fans" had for Mike Vick before his legal issues. Why can't we stand prosperity, even if it's "relative" prosperity? I'll say it again, this has to be one of the worst fan bases in all of sports. confused.gif

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

In fact I KNOW.

It's about suck vs. not sucking and this team sucks regardless of playoff seed.

• Premium Member

Dude, you sound more and more like a troll everyday. What happened to you? I thought you were a fan of this team. Being a fan doesn't mean that you have to look at the team through rose colored glasses, but it doesn't mean that you have to look at the team through sh#@ stained glasses either.

It's sorta like with the Titans. Even though they made the playoffs I still knew that they sucked. It's sort of the same way with this team. It's just the way it is. The Hawks will make 8th seed, the games will be blacked out, and Boston will kill the Hawks 4-0.

Yes, they will make the playoffs winning 35-37 games. What more do you want me to say?

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

In fact I KNOW.

If we got a winning record I don't think people will complain. If we got a winning record, that means Woodson has step up and bench T-lue and Zaza's asses. The only thing they can complain about is "they're not a championship calibur team"... but that is pretty weak.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif

In fact I KNOW.

If we got a winning record I don't think people will complain. If we got a winning record, that means Woodson has step up and bench T-lue and Zaza's asses. The only thing they can complain about is "they're not a championship calibur team"... but that is pretty weak.

The problem is people get mad for one day when the team messes up or don't do what they should be doing. However, the very next day these same guys are accepting what the team and owners hand to them.

Quote:

Geez Hotlanta, I had just un-ignored your pessimistic ass. Now, you've made me have to go and reverse that.

Every fan base has a "Hotlanta". He's what I call a "pessimistic realist". I mean, it's not like the things he talks about, doesn't have some truth to it. That's why people get irritated with him sometimes. He just tends to over-dramatize the negative, while almost totally dismissing the positive as irrevelent.

For example, say a conversation is talking place about Beyonce between me and Hot.

Me: Beyonce is the ish.

Hot: She's overrated

Me: WTF you mean she's overrated? That girl is on point.

Hot: She's overrated dude.

Me: LOL . . OK, tell me why she's overrated?

Hot: Don't get me wrong, she looks good. But I've seen much better looking women than her. She's not "all that".

Me: LOL . . OK man, whatever. If "B" came up to you and wanted to hang out, you'd be all over that.

Hot: I'll go out with her. But it's not like I'll drool all over her or something. It's guys like you who hype her up to be some type of goddess or something. She's just not "all that" to me.

Me: OK . . on a scale from 1 - 10, where does "B" rate.

Hot: Ummm . . maybe a 6.5 or a 7? Somewhere around there.

Me: LOL . . GTOFH !!! She's at least an 8.5 or a 9.

Hot: No way. She's a 7 tops. Plus, I don't like the way she talks.

Me: Whatever man, LOL.

See, in a situation like that, Hot would automatically downgrade Beyonce for 2 main reasons:

1) So many people give her attention and treat her like she's the absolute ish, that he would be turned off by all of that, and think kind of nagatively toward her.

2) A lot of men don't like some of those "girl power / man hating" songs she writes, so that turns men off of her too. Thus, the negative slant toward her.

Hot would see a weather forecast that called for 40% rain tomorrow, and try to absolutely convince you that it WILL RAIN 100%. Thus, he would tell you to cancel all of your outside plans for tomorrow.

It's just pessimitic realism.

• Premium Member

Keep in mind we have more games against the Heat, and we still haven't played the Knicks. Add those with some games againts the Bobcats our last month or so, if we can hold our ground and beat those teams we must beat...we should be in. As much as I would love to see the Hawks be a legit top 4 team in the east, this is great. Remember the last playoff game in Atlanta? We are way overdue, and this is a great start in bringing solid basketball back to the Hawks organization.

Quote:

Quote:

Geez Hotlanta, I had just un-ignored your pessimistic ass. Now, you've made me have to go and reverse that.

Every fan base has a "Hotlanta". He's what I call a "pessimistic realist". I mean, it's not like the things he talks about, doesn't have some truth to it. That's why people get irritated with him sometimes. He just tends to over-dramatize the negative, while almost totally dismissing the positive as irrevelent.

For example, say a conversation is talking place about Beyonce between me and Hot.

Me: Beyonce is the ish.

Hot: She's overrated

Me: WTF you mean she's overrated? That girl is on point.

Hot: She's overrated dude.

Me: LOL . . OK, tell me why she's overrated?

Hot: Don't get me wrong, she looks good. But I've seen much better looking women than her. She's not "all that".

Me: LOL . . OK man, whatever. If "B" came up to you and wanted to hang out, you'd be all over that.

Hot: I'll go out with her. But it's not like I'll drool all over her or something. It's guys like you who hype her up to be some type of goddess or something. She's just not "all that" to me.

Me: OK . . on a scale from 1 - 10, where does "B" rate.

Hot: Ummm . . maybe a 6.5 or a 7? Somewhere around there.

Me: LOL . . GTOFH !!! She's at least an 8.5 or a 9.

Hot: No way. She's a 7 tops. Plus, I don't like the way she talks.

Me: Whatever man, LOL.

See, in a situation like that, Hot would automatically downgrade Beyonce for 2 main reasons:

1) So many people give her attention and treat her like she's the absolute ish, that he would be turned off by all of that, and think kind of nagatively toward her.

2) A lot of men don't like some of those "girl power / man hating" songs she writes, so that turns men off of her too. Thus, the negative slant toward her.

Hot would see a weather forecast that called for 40% rain tomorrow, and try to absolutely convince you that it WILL RAIN 100%. Thus, he would tell you to cancel all of your outside plans for tomorrow.

It's just pessimitic realism.

I gotta admit that is funny. But you're wrong here:

Quote:

That's wrong if you're trying to lump me into this category.

Jill Scott is a strong female artist... Beyonce is not. She is weak mainstream junk. Beyonce wished she had an tad of talent JS has.

In fact, a chunk of my favorite artists are females.

I dislike Beyonce the same reason I dislike Britney Spears and any of the kind. They make horrible empty music.

And you got Beyonce.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dw74Wp29HX4

Beyonce blows. All of these songs are cooked up by studio execs for the targeted advance.

Audience is what I meant to say. Her stuff is the typical stuff you get from a mainstream entertainer. She will probably due the same type of stuff her entire career. I doubt she will do too much to ruffle the feathers of her fans.

Jill Scott you get abit of variety:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dYTMGtm2hig

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3D7RzeqU9eY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SEG4S3ZW_Kw