• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Josh Smith Our Future Or What???

hawkman

• Premium Member

The guy is the truth, plain and simple. He's come close to having a triple double a few times this season and he seems to be showing no signs of regressing. I like where his game is at right now. While he still needs some polish on the offensive end, I truly believe that he is our best all-around player right now. He plays a very complete game and really seems to be gaining on "star" status sooner rather than later. When you think of how he started out here, he has made some pretty monumental strides as far as his game is concerned. It's great to see this whole "potential" thing work out for a change. Keep it up Smoove. smile.gif

I sure hope J Smoove is our future. We will rue the day if he leaves the Hawks after this season. Plain and simple. If one of our forwards needs to go, it needs to be Marvin, not J Smoove. If Smoove continues to take his game to the next level, play within himself, stay away from the 3 pt line, and play better man defense, he will be an All Star in the next year or two.

Remember, we complained and complained that he took too many perimeter shots and wasn't playing near the basket enough...it looks like he is playing more to the basket recently. And boy has it paid dividends.

J Smoove is a Georgia native, our main attraction, and an up-and-coming star. After all, he is our "Highlight Factory."

Yeah oi...as we discussed in the chatroom, you put Andre Miller on this team and look out - you got a rocketship.

Now I'm no trade/cap-ologist...only saying that if the fellas who wear suits and get payed a lot more than me could figure a way to get a guy like that - we'd be dynamite...every night.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He still can't dribble or shoot at all.

However, he does a great job at contributing in many other areas of the game.

He made a tremendous impact tonight.

He's still a bit streaky as far as his shooting is concerned but he is much improved though. I actually like his improved handle though. His ball handling on the break is a bit underrated around here. I'm just glad he actually works on his game and that it shows in game situations. He's developed some pretty solid moves on the perimeter and in the post for that matter. He's still a work in progress but at least he's headed in the right direction.

• Admin

His ball handling on the break is TERRIBLE. I cringe when I see him trying to quickly bring it up. I find myself saying pass it pass it when he takes off dribbling down the court. Those situations often lead to a turnover.

As far as streaky, yes his shot has improved but the way it was last year it had no where to go but up. That being said, his shot is still bad. Some will go in but when they are misses they are not even close to going in. They are clanging off the backboard or the back of the rim. I think he should spend more time slashing or staying inside. His FG% would be much better.

Here's what I know...

I went to the game, when the Hawks came to Philly. And one of the Philly fans told me, "I thought the Hawks were the most athletic team across the board. That was until Smith went to the bench. Without him, they are no more athletic than the Spurs." Of course I laughed him off. But since then, I have noticed that he may just be right. Without him in the lineup, we are normal. But he must be some athletic freak, to give this team that type of perception across the league. This guy has some value...and thats before you realize his age.

Quote:

His ball handling on the break is TERRIBLE. I cringe when I see him trying to quickly bring it up. I find myself saying pass it pass it when he takes off dribbling down the court. Those situations often lead to a turnover.

As far as streaky, yes his shot has improved but the way it was last year it had no where to go but up. That being said, his shot is still bad. Some will go in but when they are misses they are not even close to going in. They are clanging off the backboard or the back of the rim. I think he should spend more time slashing or staying inside. His FG% would be much better.

I disagree with the ball handling statement...but hell, your opinion. I think he's our best ball handler on the break.

Quote:

The guy is the truth, plain and simple. He's come close to having a triple double a few times this season and he seems to be showing no signs of regressing. I like where his game is at right now. While he still needs some polish on the offensive end, I truly believe that he is our best all-around player right now. He plays a very complete game and really seems to be gaining on "star" status sooner rather than later. When you think of how he started out here, he has made some pretty monumental strides as far as his game is concerned. It's great to see this whole "potential" thing work out for a change. Keep it up Smoove.
smile.gif

Someone told me yesterday that he is as good as he'll ever get. Same with all our guys

A maxed out player as far as potential at 22 years old.

Can you imagine?

Quote:

Here's what I know...

I went to the game, when the Hawks came to Philly. And one of the Philly fans told me, "I thought the Hawks were the most athletic team across the board. That was until Smith went to the bench. Without him, they are no more athletic than the Spurs." Of course I laughed him off. But since then, I have noticed that he may just be right. Without him in the lineup, we are normal. But he must be some athletic freak, to give this team that type of perception across the league. This guy has some value...and thats before you realize his age.

Sorry - I can't agree with that as Childress and Marvin are a lot more athletic than you give them credit for being. Horford is great athlete as well. Sure, they're not in Smoove's class but not many players are.

Quote:

Here's what I know...

That's not even remotely true though. Al Horford is in the top 5% of athleticism for guys playing the 5. The way he runs the floor along with Marvin, Chill, etc. gives us a lineup with 5 guys who can push the basketball and create their own shot potentially

Not to mention we have a team of unselfish guys who can also create for their teammates.

Quote:

Quote:

Here's what I know...

That's not even remotely true though. Al Horford is in the top 5% of athleticism for guys playing the 5. The way he runs the floor along with Marvin, Chill, etc. gives us a lineup with 5 guys who can push the basketball and create their own shot potentially

Not to mention we have a team of unselfish guys who can also create for their teammates.

Seriously, all they raved about concerning Horford coming out of college was his awesome athleticism for a big. I swear, that was like every other word out of any analysts' mouth (that and that he was probably too short to play the 5 and that he was a great pick for the Hawks at #3).

He will never be Magic Johnson but if you put it into perspective that he is our POWER FORWARD, I doubt that there are many PFs in the NBA who can bring it up and make plays on the break as well as he does. In fact, while Marvin and Chillz may dribble it better and turn it over less, I think Smoove actually makes more plays for his teammates on the break and thus the much higher assist numbers for him. Woody said just last week that he wishes Marvin would grab more rebounds and go coast to coast the way Smoove does.

If Smith left at 22 it would be worse then when we lost Nique.

At least baketball purist saw the wisdom in trading the aging Nique who was seeking a new contract at 34.

No one could see reason in letting Smith go at 22 or 23.

Smith is the future and the now !

Josh is by far better at creating for others than Childress and Marvin.They turn the ball over less ,because they take no risks.No risks = no reward.

Smith has

13 games with 5 or more asts

21 games with at least 4 asts

Marvin

3 games of 5 asts

5 ganes of at least 4

Childress

1 game with 5 asts

3 games with at least 4