• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Woody get Canned at the Break?

TexasPete

It's clear to just about any Hawks supporter that Woodson is a huge problem and we won't ever realize our potential until a new coach is in place.

Question: Have we finally reached rock bottom to the point that Woody gets canned at the break? Is Gearon finally seeing the light or is the idiot ASG still supporting Woodson? This team can't even beat the lousy Bobcats who had just lost 7 straight.

Will Woody get fired at the break?

Quote:

The ASG might pull the trigger on their own if Knight has fallen out of favor.

We can only hope.

Do you honestly expect that, though?

BK/Woody are the Teflon Dons. Short of them both getting indicted on tax evasion charges, we're stuck with them...

At this point...I'd be willing to try anyone else at coach. Larry Drew, Herb Brown, 'Nique, Sekou, Walter, etc.

The team just looks lifeless. And I really can't blame them...

Quote:

Quote:

The ASG might pull the trigger on their own if Knight has fallen out of favor.

We can only hope.

Do you honestly expect that, though?

BK/Woody are the Teflon Dons. Short of them both getting indicted on tax evasion charges, we're stuck with them...

At this point...I'd be willing to try anyone else at coach. Larry Drew, Herb Brown, 'Nique, Sekou, Walter, etc.

The team just looks lifeless. And I really can't blame them...

Honestly, I don't know what to believe. In this dysfunctional ownership I have no idea who calls the shots. But whoever is calling the shots is doing a lousy job running a professional sports team.

I don't know how the ASG continues to overlook the fact that we are a lousy team in a lousy conference. And somebody needs to prove to the few fans they have left that they recognize there is a problem and will address it immediately. Levenson spends too much time talking and frankly his record as an owner is putrid.

Quote:

..Honestly, I don't know what to believe. In this dysfunctional ownership I have no idea who calls the shots. But whoever is calling the shots is doing a lousy job running a professional sports team...

Here's what I believe (and this is just from what I've picked up - I'm no bigtime insider). Belkin was the "basketball guy" of the ownership group. The others are primarily into the Hockey side. Belkin has stated that he wants to own and operate an NBA franchise while most of the others are content to run the Hawks on the cheap and put more money into the Thrashers. That's where all the cool white folks hang out.

Now that there is a total impass and lawsuit, and the other owners KNOW that Belkin is a basketball guy, why would they want to help him out by spending limited resources on the Hawks? Of course now it has gotten so bad that there isn't much money for either team. Still, I would expect that the last thing the other owners would want to do is build up the Hawks at the expense of the Thrashers. Plus, they don't want to fire BK because they know he is a burr in Belkin's ass and they like that. Human nature.

P.S. - and here's the rub. The reast of the ASG was very good at backing BK when he wanted to keep giving more and more for JJ in the big trade. Belkin actually backed the trade and signed off on it as the stakes got higher until BK wanted to give up that last 1st rounder (the one we won't have this year). Belkin, as a reasonable businessman/poker player felt we were getting fleeced and didn't agree to the Max/Diaw/1st/1st deal, thinking it was just too much. So for trying to protect the Hawks' longterm interests he was branded the "evil one". The rest of the ASG, who basically worked to brand him in that way are now proving that they really don't give a rat's patooty about the Hawks and most of us were duped. (me not included).

When they canned the Thrasher's coach it was at a point where they were about to lose the season and that pretty well sums up where the Hawks are now.

Here's a scary thought: WHAT IF THEY MADE BK THE COACH like they did with the hockey team. How many people would want Woody fired if that were the case????????

He's got to go or I'm going to give me attention to college ball.

If he doesnt at least some trade has to be done. The thing that ownership has to look at is not necessarily the record, but importantly the development of the team.

If we had started badly and got better slowly as time went on, I would be ok with it because it's a young team. But it seems to me that we have gotten worse which shouldnt happen with a young team. And not only a young team but one in which Horford is actually IMPROVING as does Smith seem to also. How can they be improving but the young team still be declining overall?

Quote:

If he doesnt at least some trade has to be done. The thing that ownership has to look at is not necessarily the record, but importantly the development of the team...

That's a bigtime point DocH and I just don't think it's happening. The ownership group is all screwed up. Woody/BK are looking at things from a very short-term perspective in order to secure another year of paychecks. That's why we see Acie out at crunch time...Woody is trying to eek out every win he can to slide into the 8th spot in the playoffs and therefore BK can show "continued improvement" to the owners. There are conflicting agendas. The players are finally catching on to this and are beginning to rebel - at least some of them - therefore the 2-story doghouse.

Quote:

Question: Have we finally reached rock bottom to the point that Woody gets canned at the break? Is Gearon finally seeing the light or is the idiot ASG still supporting Woodson? This team can't even beat the lousy Bobcats who had just lost 7 straight.

Will Woody get fired at the break?

I don't think so, but we had better do so if only to evaluate our players under a different coach. The rookie contract resigning period of our rebuilding strategy is coming up. We need to KNOW what we are working with aside from Woody who for 2 years has had no business coaching us.

Similarly, while this team has needed a bold, creative trade and could best do one now with its many expiring contracts, I want BK having no part of it as his ego and incompetence will screw it up. Can we fire him too? AT LEAST by this off-season.

W

Quote:

Quote:

..Honestly, I don't know what to believe. In this dysfunctional ownership I have no idea who calls the shots. But whoever is calling the shots is doing a lousy job running a professional sports team...

Here's what I believe (and this is just from what I've picked up - I'm no bigtime insider). Belkin was the "basketball guy" of the ownership group. The others are primarily into the Hockey side. Belkin has stated that he wants to own and operate an NBA franchise while most of the others are content to run the Hawks on the cheap and put more money into the Thrashers. That's where all the cool white folks hang out.

Now that there is a total impass and lawsuit, and the other owners KNOW that Belkin is a basketball guy, why would they want to help him out by spending limited resources on the Hawks? Of course now it has gotten so bad that there isn't much money for either team. Still, I would expect that the last thing the other owners would want to do is build up the Hawks at the expense of the Thrashers. Plus, they don't want to fire BK because they know he is a burr in Belkin's ass and they like that. Human nature.

P.S. - and here's the rub. The reast of the ASG was very good at backing BK when he wanted to keep giving more and more for JJ in the big trade. Belkin actually backed the trade and signed off on it as the stakes got higher until BK wanted to give up that last 1st rounder (the one we won't have this year). Belkin, as a reasonable businessman/poker player felt we were getting fleeced and didn't agree to the Max/Diaw/1st/1st deal, thinking it was just too much. So for trying to protect the Hawks' longterm interests he was branded the "evil one". The rest of the ASG, who basically worked to brand him in that way are now proving that they really don't give a rat's patooty about the Hawks and most of us were duped. (me not included).

DJ you really have it wrong. The Washington group is the hockey side. The Atlanta group is the Basketball side along with Belkin. The Atlanta group has historical ties with the Hawks, including Gearons' dad being the GM of the team in the 70s. Gearon in an interview before the NHL playoffs last year admitted he knew very little about hockey and was having to learn the game.

I also disagree on your take about Belkin, but that has been gone over many times before.

• Premium Member

I think he does....IF the Hawks can find a suitable cheap replacement.

By suitable, I mean somebody who we can hold on to for the next 3 to 4 years and expect wins from.

By Cheap, I know I'm ruling out the Van Gundy's and the other big names that we may want.

I think the candidates are:

Del Harris.

Alvin Gentry

Terry Porter

Mario Ellie

Eric Mussleman

Prolly in that order.