• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Billy Knight needs to be fired ASAP.

Packfill

This guy is the architect of a house with a rotten foundation, and for this team to heal he needs to be sent walking ASAP.

As far as I can tell these are the reasons he needs to go:

1. Poor drafting.

2. Inability to put together a balanced roster.

3. Has hired two of the worst coaches in NBA history. How is that possible?

4. Obviously does not have the full trust of ownership. Now this one is debateable because the owners give every appearance of being low grade morons, so I am not sure falling out of their good graces is a black mark.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy probably isn't going to be the GM after this season, but you guys typically overstate things in your hatred for anything associated with Billy Knight.

Question. When Atlanta gets a new GM, do you think that GM is going to come in and blow everything up by getting rid of everyone Billy Knight brought in?

If you answer truthfully, you will see the answer is no. In fact, the talent Billy has put into place is the reason fans are disappointed with this season and the reason there are guys out there chomping at the bit to get an opportunity to coach this team. The fact is, Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby, Al Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Acie Law are the primary reasons guys like Larry Brown are interested in taking this job.

If Billy is so terrible and so inept as a GM, then how in the hell has he put together a talented young team that one of the best coaches in NBA history wants to come in and coach?

Just as I expected though when Billy took the job. Billy did all the hard work. He's the GM that has been forced to suffer through the losing to build the team the right way. A new GM will come in, inherit what Billy has put into place, and will win with what Billy has put into place. In typical fan and media reaction though, Billy will get no credit for what he has done. All the credit will go to the new GM, despite the fact that the core of the team was put into place by Billy Knight. This happened in Memphis, and it will happen here.

But you guys are going to get your wish. Billy is probably not going to be the GM of this team after June 30th, if not sooner. I fully anticipate all of you talking about how much better whoever the Hawks hire is than Billy Knight, and I fully anticipate you giving that person all the credit when he makes a minor tweak or two to the roster.

Quote:

Billy probably isn't going to be the GM after this season, but you guys typically overstate things in your hatred for anything associated with Billy Knight.

Question. When Atlanta gets a new GM, do you think that GM is going to come in and blow everything up by getting rid of everyone Billy Knight brought in?

If you answer truthfully, you will see the answer is no. In fact, the talent Billy has put into place is the reason fans are disappointed with this season and the reason there are guys out there chomping at the bit to get an opportunity to coach this team. The fact is, Joe Johnson, Mike Bibby, Al Horford, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Acie Law are the primary reasons guys like Larry Brown are interested in taking this job.

If Billy is so terrible and so inept as a GM, then how in the hell has he put together a talented young team that one of the best coaches in NBA history wants to come in and coach?

Just as I expected though when Billy took the job. Billy did all the hard work. He's the GM that has been forced to suffer through the losing to build the team the right way. A new GM will come in, inherit what Billy has put into place, and will win with what Billy has put into place. In typical fan and media reaction though, Billy will get no credit for what he has done. All the credit will go to the new GM, despite the fact that the core of the team was put into place by Billy Knight. This happened in Memphis, and it will happen here.

But you guys are going to get your wish. Billy is probably not going to be the GM of this team after June 30th, if not sooner. I fully anticipate all of you talking about how much better whoever the Hawks hire is than Billy Knight, and I fully anticipate you giving that person all the credit when he makes a minor tweak or two to the roster.

If Billy Knight knew how to build a team he wouldn't be getting fired. It is that simple. In his two opportunities to build teams from the ground-up he has failed to get the job done. When you waste draft picks on marginal talent sooner or later it comes back to haunt you.

Quote:

If Billy Knight knew how to build a team he wouldn't be getting fired. It is that simple. In his two opportunities to build teams from the ground-up he has failed to get the job done. When you waste draft picks on marginal talent sooner or later it comes back to haunt you.

Sooner or later a GM has to be accountable for his record. This is the 4th year of rebuilding and the Hawks are 11 games below .500 in a weak conference. That can't be seen as anything but failure, especially considering all the blown opporunities. One of those blown opportunities dropped 23/18 on us last night.

Quote:

Quote:

Sooner or later a GM has to be accountable for his record. This is the 4th year of rebuilding and the Hawks are 11 games below .500 in a weak conference. That can't be seen as anything but failure, especially considering all the blown opporunities. One of those blown opportunities dropped 23/18 on us last night.

BK's poor drafting is an obvious problem but to me, his biggest weakness is the inability ti identify coaching talent. He literally has hired two of the worst coaches of all-time. That is not an easy thing to do.

How do you evaluate individual components of this whole Hawks mess. The ownership is a mess==> the decision making is a mess==> the team is a mess

I find it difficult to evaluate Billy b/c I'm not sure how many deals the ASG nixed. I do know that he has made some draft mistakes that even I would not have made.

Now Woody.... he shows why he should be fired almost every game. I used to blame BK for not giving him the players needed to be successful, but I no longer feel that way. I think that he lacks the ability to manage in game situations. Seems that even BK realized Woody's limitations, but could not fire him b/c of ASG.

OG

BK IS NOT THE PROBLEM HERE open your eyes!

Drafting? Has he been that bad???

J-Chill - pretty good.

Marvin William – yeah CP3 wanted to play here but as I have proved BK went with the safe and right pick at the time. As I have shown by bringing up the threads that were posted before and after that 2005 draft. 95% of the people in the NBA world said Marvin was the best player in this draft. HELL, some of them had him going #1 in the draft. I don’t blame BK for not wanting to be the next Portland Trail Blazers GM for not picking Michael Jordan over Sam. Even on this board CP3 got no loved. It was Deron Williams. Now everyone claims they loved CP3. lol A BUNCH OF JOKERS! Hey, but that is what fans do, right? We love to act like we knew what was right all along after the facts. I guess that is why we keep getting turn down as the next great GM. LOL whistling.gif

BK did a good job in finding 2 unknown talent players in Daiw and J-Smoove. Who ppl killed him on too for making those picks. You don’t hear NO ONE saying he was right on those.

He admits he got it wrong with S-William. BUT, He had the right idea when he picked S-Williams. You see that in Big AL. He wanted a banger in S-William just like he is getting out of AL. At the time Sheldon were one of the best in College when pick 5 came. If Tyrus Thomas or LaMarcus Aldridge was at five, I'm sure he would have picked them over S-William but Williams was the best big on the board. Pretty much he was doing what you guys claim he should have done the year before was picking a need, a center or pg. That is the whole M-Williams arguement about, right? So, why go pick ROY when you need a C or PG? You guys need to make up your mind on what you want BK to do. cool.gif

The good thing a lot of ppl are not talking about Billy is when he makes a mistake he will do what it takes to correct that mistake. IF THE ASG allows him to... you don’t see that in a lot of GMs.

Trying to fire Woody - admitting he picked the wrong coach to coach up the potential talent in his players.

Trying to trade for Jose Calderon/ trade for Bibby.

Trading away a bust and getting the PG this team needs – once again, correcting a wrong.

Your Big ENORMOUS problem is the ASG. It all starts with them. It is them who will not Fire the problem on the court… AKA… “WOODY D’OH I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON” doh.gif

The 1st thing everyone says around the league about our team is, “THEY ARE VERY TALENTED” Well, that should tell us all that Billy is not the problem, he is putting the TALENT on the court but the TALENT is not being COACHED.

• Moderators

I agree with you KB. When the team has talent but plays crappy you first have to try a new coach.

BK has made some draft mistakes obviously but he's not a horrible drafter in the way Babcock was

He has assembled good talent

Made two good trades to acquire JJ and Bibby for not a whole lot in return

Possibly had a trade of Chill for Calderon which I think most would agree would have been positive.

Avoided making the mistakes of sadling us with Curry or Martin or other high priced FAs

Hired a well regarded, cheap HC and when it didn't work out recognized that he needed/needs to go

The question is if you believe that Woody is a poor head coach then how do you know that BK has done a bad job as GM?

Quote:

J-Chill - pretty good.

Iggy = much better

Deng = much better

Quote:

Marvin William – yeah CP3 wanted to play here but as I have proved BK went with the safe and right pick at the time.

How is taking an SF when you have 5 SFs (and three who were 1st rounders) a safe pick? And one that was a 19 year old freshman and didn't even start for his college team? When you take a risk like that he DAMN WELL better be a damn good player. BK took a HUGE risk by taking Marvin, there was nothing safe about it.

The rest of your post is just rediculous. Defending BK is apologetic.

Dumb post.

BK brought in the coach and all the players. Case closed.

Quote:

BK did a good job in finding 2 unknown talent players in Daiw and J-Smoove. Who ppl killed him on too for making those picks.

First of all i am not sure what that means. Secondly i don't remember anyone complaining when Smith was drafted.

Diaw hasn't done crap.

Look Bro....

You can't give him credit for drafting the concensus best player over need for one draft and then give him a "Let" for drafting for need over the concensus best player in another. He was supposed to evaluate the talent available and get what was best for the team. All I am saying is that he didn't do that.

OG

Quote:

Look Bro....

You can't give him credit for drafting the concensus best player over need for one draft and then give him a "Let" for drafting for need over the concensus best player in another. He was supposed to evaluate the talent available and get what was best for the team. All I am saying is that he didn't do that.

OG

That is my point. That is what you guys are doing with the whole CP3/M-Williams and Roy/S-Willams. You guys say CP3 (a lie because it was Deron at the time. lol).... But you claim to have wanted CP3 over Marvin because we need a PG. Well, how can you next year want Roy when we need a Big or PG???

Just my point as fans we always claim we wanted the NOW start player we missed out on. NO BODY WANTED CP3 ON THIS BOARD. I bet if I go back to the 2006 draft I will find maybe 1% who may have wanted Roy at the time. Stop blame the GM for making mistakes when you too did the same thing. Atleast he admit his mistake by trying to do something about it.

Quote:

BK IS NOT THE PROBLEM HERE open your eyes!

J-Chill
- pretty good.

Marvin William
– yeah CP3 wanted to play here but as I have proved BK went with the safe and right pick at the time. As I have shown by bringing up the threads that were posted before and after that 2005 draft. 95% of the people in the NBA world said Marvin was the best player in this draft. HELL, some of them going #1 in the draft. I don’t blame BK for not wanting to be the next Portland Trail Blazers GM for not pick
Michael Jordan
over
Sam.
Even on this board CP3 got no loved. It was Deron Williams. Now everyone claims they loved CP3. lol A BUNCH OF JOKERS! Hey, but that is what fans do, right? We love to act like we knew what was right all along after the facts. I guess that is why we keep getting turn down as the next great GM. LOL
whistling.gif

BK did a good job in finding 2 unknown talent players in
Daiw
and
J-Smoove
. Who ppl killed him on too for making those picks. You don’t hear NO ONE saying he was right on those.

He admits he got it wrong with S-William. BUT, He had the right idea when he picked S-Williams. You see that in Big AL. He wanted a banger in S-William just like he is getting out of AL. At the time Sheldon were one of the best in College when pick 5 came. If
Tyrus Thomas
or
LaMarcus Aldridge
was at five, I'm sure he would have them over S-William but Williams was the best big on the board. Pretty much he was doing what you guys claim he should have done the year before was picking a need, a center or pg. That is the whole M-Williams arguement about, right? So, why go pick ROY when you need a C or PG? You guys need to make up your mind on what you want BK to do.
cool.gif

The good thing a lot of ppl are not talking about Billy is when he makes a mistake he will do what it take to correct that mistake. IF THE ASG allows him to you don’t see that in a lot of GMs.

Trying to fire Woody - admitting he picked the wrong coach to coach up the potential talent in his players.

Trying to trade for
Jose Calderon
/ trade for
Bibby

Trading away a bust and getting the PG this team needs – once again, correcting a wrong.

Your Big ENORMOUS problem is the ASG. It all starts with them. It is them who will not Fire the problem on the court… AKA…
“WOODY D’OH I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON”
doh.gif

The 1st thing everyone says around the league about our team is, “THEY ARE VERY TALENTED” Well, that should tell us all that Billy is not the problem, he is putting the TALENT on the court but the TALENT is not being COACHED.

I think the old posts show that there were a number of people who felt that Paul was the right pick. Do the search and see for yourself.

BK has consistently drafted guys who have underperformed their draft position. The only outliers are Smoove and Horford. Smoove, if you remember, was the hometown boy who fell from the lottery. It was an obvious pick that a dog could have made. Horford BK deserve credit for, but again, the pick hasen't resulted in an improved team on the court.

BK is the one that hired Woody in the first place. His one other coaching hire was Sidney Lowe. Do you trust him to hire a good coach now?

It took BK over 3 1/2 years to get some semblance of a balanced roster and even now the team stinks. How is it possible that this team is no better then last season?

Quote:

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY, KB. A+

Quote:

Quote:

Look Bro....

OG

That is my point. That is what you guys are doing with the whole CP3/M-Williams and Roy/S-Willams. You guys say CP3 (a lie because it was Deron at the time. lol).... But you claim to have wanted CP3 over Marvin because we need a PG. Well, how can you next year want Roy when we need a Big or PG???

Just my point as fans we always claim we wanted the NOW start player we missed out on. NO BODY WANTED CP3 ON THIS BOARD. I bet if I go back to the 2006 draft I will find maybe 1% who may have wanted Roy at the time. Stop blame the GM for making mistakes when you too did the same thing. Atleast he admit his mistake by trying to do something about it.

I guarantee you that I wanted Paul prior to that draft.

Here is our problem: the micromanaging of the Hawks owners is now common knowledge throughout the league. The only kind of GM who would take the job is a brown-nosing yes man. We have a real problem with this situation.

Quote:

Here is our problem: the micromanaging of the Hawks owners is now common knowledge throughout the league. The only kind of GM who would take the job is a brown-nosing yes man. We have a real problem with this situation.

Micheal Geron is the GM of the Hawks now. That much is very clear. I have defended BK in the sense that the ownership mess is beyound the pale; however, BK has made several mistakes. Don't begruge the CP pick so much as not slecting Roy. A Roy-JJ backcourt would have been phenomenal. The BK hiring obviously was horrible and I thought so when it happened.

If the ASG fires BK that is fine, but they better get someone in who will take a hold of the team and not backdown to Gearon. The rest of the ownership group needs to get Gearon out of his governorship and give that to the new GM (like in most organizations) so that the Hawks can be a functioning organization.

Quote:

Of course he isn't going to be tenured this off season. When the corny ESPN commentators make a smug remark about passing on Paul and sometimes Roy concerning the Hawks it has to eat at some of the Hawk's owners.

As a fan it eats me alive sometimes.

Quote:

I assume you are generalizing, but, for the record, I wanted Deron and still would be happy with that pick over Marvin. My point is that I evaluated Deron to be better for the team based on need and the talent available. I still believe Deron will be better than CP3 for the long run because of size and durability.

Also, for the record, there were a lot of ppl on here that wanted CP3. Not many of us thought it was good for the team to have another SF, especially when he was not clearly better than the PGs available. In fact, discussion eventually evolved to "which PG". Did you dig out the "which PG" poll that was conducted back then?

I only fault BK for his judgement that MW and SW were best for the team when we clearly did not need a SF and the PGs available were evaluated just as talented as the SF he drafted. Hell, MW almost laid an egg for his tryout with the Hawks. So what was his talent evaluation based on?

Quote:

Yes, but he is the one with the title and the access to the players to get the pick right. And again, for the record, I wanted Foye b/c of Roy's health issues. Shelden was never in my consideration. I would have gone after a C via trade. When BK drafted Shelden I wondered about the justification. In general, I don't think the majority of us would have made the same pick. And with the Shelden pick, he didn't even do the homework of evaluating other potential players. As a fan, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I don't think he earned his money with that draft.

OG

Oh man that was funniest quote I've read on this forum. That made me choke on my water.