• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Am I the only Marvin Williams fan here?? lol

TruJerz

Quote:

yes, I know he should of never got picked over Deron Williams, Chris Paul and even Bynum but he has alot of potential still. He is having a decent year averaging 15 points and 6 rebounds....you cant really complain with that when you got JJ, JSmooth and now Bibby on your team. I think he can be an all star one day or at least a border line all star in 2-3 yrs..he reminds me of Jamison a little bit and yes i think he can turn into a Jamison type player in a few yrs. no? lol

Huge Marvin fan here, with mixed emotions about this season. Had he kept up his play from early in the season I wouldn't have any doubts about him at all.

Now I have doubts. I still have faith in him, but not as much as I did in late December. He was blooming then, but seems so wildly inconsistent now that something looks wrong to me.

Could be his own attitude/dedication.

Could be his relationship with teammates or coach.

Could be injuries.

Probably some combination of all of that. But something is definitely worth concern.

I think bringing him off the bench would be fine. I think trading him would be fine, but I'd still rather trade Childress. I think he still ends up as a borderline all star one day, I just don't have much confidence it will be as a hawk.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

the beauty is now with Bibby, JJ and Smoove and Horf, we dont need more than 10-15 pts from Marvin a night. As long as he shoots near .500 and makes his open 20 footers...I'm happy. He is still just a 21 year old kid!!! Everyone develops at a different speed. I laugh at the people that suggest he has reached his potential at 21. You can't blame Marvin for being drafted where he was.

NOONE is saying that Marvin has reached his potential. What I have consistently said is that he hasn't worked hard enough to get better, and if he has than he hasn't shown it at all. When your PER doesn't improve in 3 years and he's still hanging around taking jumpers while still not being able to finish inside, something's got to give.

I am challenging ANYONE to come up with ONE thing that Marvin has added to his game offensively in his 3 years here. Just one.

Quote:

I am challenging ANYONE to come up with ONE thing that Marvin has added to his game offensively in his 3 years here. Just one.

I think you might be looking for someone to point out that Marvin suddenly developed a deadly sky-hook or some other addition to his offensive skill set. To that end, I do not have an answer, but I can tell you that offensively he has improved his FG%, FT%, and makes fewer turnovers.

The lack of additional offensive "moves" could be the result of where coaching is focused. And by the looks of things, the focus has been on defense.

Quote:

Quote:

I think you might be looking for someone to point out that Marvin suddenly developed a deadly sky-hook or some other addition to his offensive skill set. To that end, I do not have an answer, but I can tell you that offensively he has improved his FG%, FT%, and makes fewer turnovers.

The lack of additional offensive "moves" could be the result of where coaching is focused. And by the looks of things, the focus has been on defense.

In three years, the fact that you can't name one move that he's added speaks volumes. The same thing can't be said about any other non-scrub youngster. Smith has improved tremendously on offense (although he still has a LONG way to go) and added many moves. Marvin essentially plays the exact same way that he did in his rookie season, he's just getting more opportunities. He hasn't added anything to his offensive arsenal, and until he does he will be nothing more than a midrange shooter. The fact that he's been here for 3 years and hasn't yet done so IMO means that we should deal him now while he's still young and has value.

Quote:

In three years, the fact that you can't name one move that he's added speaks volumes.

I'm glad you hold me in such high regard when it comes to evaluating players, but the fact that I can't name a move doesn't speak to much at all. I'll take the compliment though.

Oh, this one time I did see Marvin dunk with his hand behind his head, like he was taking a Sunday nap on the way up to the basket. Does that count as a new move? It should. It was sweet. I bet Mike Woodson taught him that move.

Quote:

The fact that he's been here for 3 years and hasn't yet done so IMO means that we should deal him now while he's still young and has value.

Maybe, or he isn't getting the right coaching.

Quote:

I'm glad you hold me in such high regard when it comes to evaluating players, but the fact that
I
can't name a move doesn't speak to much at all. I'll take the compliment though.

Considering the fact that I've presented this question to about 5 people in large threads already, and NOONE has been able to, it speaks loud and clear.

Quote:

Quote:

The fact that he's been here for 3 years and hasn't yet done so IMO means that we should deal him now while he's still young and has value.

It's not on Woodson to make Marvin better in the OFFseason, that's on Marvin and Marvin only. If it was coaching, than how has Smith gotten better? Individual improvement relies alot less on a head coach than any other aspect. Marvin could setup a workout with an ex-NBA player the way Smith has and improve himself tremendously.

Quote:

Quote:

In three years, the fact that you can't name one move that he's added speaks volumes.

I'm glad you hold me in such high regard when it comes to evaluating players, but the fact that I can't name a move doesn't speak to much at all. I'll take the compliment though.

Oh, this one time I did see Marvin dunk with his hand behind his head, like he was taking a Sunday nap on the way up to the basket. Does that count as a new move? It should. It was sweet. I bet Mike Woodson taught him that move.

Quote:

This year Marvin has made jump hooks, step back jumpers, fadeaway jumpers, and floaters. He never shot any of those shots his rookie year.

The problem is that he rarely takes these shots, although he has been looking to shoot that jump hook fairly frequently on post ups. He seems to make his step back j every time he takes it, he just rarely takes it.

Sort of like Horford with his fadeaway J inside. He has a good one but hardly ever takes it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

By Next year it will be 8 points and 5 rebounds...

You must be talking about Childress. His scoring average is down to 11.6 on the season. he is averaging only 10 ppg this month.

I thought having a quality pg was supposed to help Childress. At least that was what you were saying a few weeks ago.

Ex.

IF we let Childress Walk in the offseason, we still have Marvin... So why would you even interject Childress into this conversation? IS that your best point? "I can't think of anything else so I will bash Childress"????? Boy... I have to wonder how your mind works sometimes... Is it that you can't stay on subject or is it that you're so focused on 1 subject that you can not intelligently talk about something else?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This year Marvin has made jump hooks, step back jumpers, fadeaway jumpers, and floaters. He never shot any of those shots his rookie year.

The problem is that he rarely takes these shots, although he has been looking to shoot that jump hook fairly frequently on post ups. He seems to make his step back j every time he takes it, he just rarely takes it.

Sort of like Horford with his fadeaway J inside. He has a good one but hardly ever takes it.

So him going from never taking these shots to rarely taking these shots is worth the consideration that he's added something to his game??

Moreover, Marvin's PER or whatever efficiency stat you care to use hasn't gone up YET...

Quote:

So him going from never taking these shots to rarely taking these shots is worth the consideration that he's added something to his game??

Dude. Exodus was just pointing out that Marvin did add "something". AtLas's challenge wasn't exaclty specific, he just asked for one offensive "thing" Marvin added to his game in 3 years.

Here. Relax, watch, and enjoy.

I'm a fan of seeing Marvin succeed. I didn't mind drafting him since to me it wasn't obvious that the points would be good. Marvin might make an all-star game just due to numbers some day but that's about as good as I see him ever being. Best upside to me is Carmelo Anthony and I don't see that happening.

Still, Marvin is a valuable team member, trade asset. I think he's tradeable for a late lottery pick this lottery, Chillz for a mid first rounder, not that I want to see us do that and get younger.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm a fan of seeing Marvin succeed. I didn't mind drafting him since to me it wasn't obvious that the points would be good. Marvin might make an all-star game just due to numbers some day but that's about as good as I see him ever being. Best upside to me is Carmelo Anthony and I don't see that happening.

That is very similar to my view. He has been very dissappointing to me with his lack of assertiveness on the court but I haven't given up hope on him and I certainly root for him to show significant improvement every game.

Quote:

Quote:

Dude. Exodus was just pointing out that Marvin did add "something". AtLas's challenge wasn't exaclty specific, he just asked for one offensive "thing" Marvin added to his game in 3 years.

And taking and making a specific shot once in twenty games doesn't mean something was added to your game. It's not a so-called "part" of your game if you don't do it consistently. For example, Smith has added a nice up and under move when he posts up inside this season. He usually does it about once a game.

Hell, I've made hook shots from the 3pt line but just because I've done it a couple of times doesn't mean it's a part of my game.

Quote:

Yes. We now know he has those shots available and over time he may be more comfortable taking them.

I think the short jumper/floater could be a big key for him. He can get by his man consistently but is generally a mess trying to finish in traffic so this shot could the answer. He has been back rimming these shots a lot but hopefully he will start making them consistently before long.

Quote:

Marvin's PER or whatever efficiency stat you care to use hasn't gone up YET...

Huh? Marvins PER was last year was 12.26. This year it is 14.45, still weak but it has certainly gone up.

The biggest problem we have with Marvin is BK. If Marvin doesn't show improvement he is basically old news, other teams aren't going to give up anything much - if he does show some improvement BK will be ecstatic and stick with him to demonstrate that he was right after all. The same can be said for Chillz somewhat.

We need a GM without ego ties who is willing to make a bold move to balance this team out.

Guest Walter

Quote:

the beauty is now with Bibby, JJ and Smoove and Horf, we dont need more than 10-15 pts from Marvin a night. As long as he shoots near .500 and makes his open 20 footers...I'm happy. He is still just a 21 year old kid!!! Everyone develops at a different speed. I laugh at the people that suggest he has reached his potential at 21. You can't blame Marvin for being drafted where he was.

Last I looked we are a .400 team. We need EVERYTHING we can get. The claim that we don't need as much from MW because we're better elsewhere forgets the fact that we will only coninue to suck if he doesn't get better.

While everyone may develop at different speeds, MW hasn't developed period. He's as productive per minute now as he was then and there is nothing new to his game. He hasn't even extended his shot to the NBA 3pt line after 3 years and a supposed good release. Yawn. More pilates please Marvin.

W