• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game ball to Marvin

exodus

I'm not expecting many replies to this thread.

Marvin was definitely the player of the game though.

The Hawks played down to the level of competition for 3 quarters though. They dominated the early part of the 4th quarter, but when they took Mike, Joe, and Josh out, we started to let them get a little too close at the end. I think we saw why we play Joe and Mike so much.

Have y'all been noticing his rebounding effort lately?? It has been huge, and the box-outs have been textbook. If Marvin boxes out like that EVERY game, it would be a huge boost for us. I also feel that it gets him more involved in the game in general when he's hitting the boards hard. Im liking what im seeing! Now it's about doing it EVERY game and EVERY possession.

I didn't get to see this game other than the final minute but it sure looks like he had a great game and was active on the glass. It's a shame that we let the Knicks back into this thing like we do but again we held on and didn't blow the game so that was nice to see.

I'll give credit when it's due, Marvin has played very well the last few games. Hopefully he can get back to his early season form, now is the best time to do it since the playoffs are getting closer. Maybe that pregame jump roping is getting him ready..

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'll give credit when it's due, Marvin has played very well the last few games. Hopefully he can get back to his early season form, now is the best time to do it since the playoffs are getting closer. Maybe that pregame jump roping is getting him ready..

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not expecting many replies to this thread.

I kind of like it when this place is a ghost town during and after Marvin's best games. Kind of like the silent stadium when the road team puts away the home team.

I like what I saw from Marvin...

BUT IT WAS AGAINST THE KNICKS. Don't get me wrong I want to see this kid do good I hope he does this the rest of the way. Don't get your hopes up. I hope he can remember those textbook block outs because he has cost us a lot of layup/dunks in the past.

I hope this is his coming out game for good.

Marvin has played a better overall game over the past few... today he added a nice shooting run.

His shot seems to be falling since that terrible game in Chicago, but more than that I've noticed better toughness, rebounding, passing, and defense... things that don't really show up in the stat line ('cept the boards). These are some intangibles Marvin was supposed to have in spades when he came out of Carolina, but have been noticeably absent on a consistent basis.

Sometimes, it takes certain [passive] players longer to "put it all together," and our team situation (bad coaching, no discipline, skill duplication and variable playing time) hasn't helped accelerate the process...

Just think. If Chill had a game like this, there would be 3 different threads about his great game. And Lord knows how the board would be gushing if Smoove had a 27 and 11 game.

It just makes you wonder about some in the fan base, and their ability to be truly objective. He had a GREAT game, but will get very little love for it. And that's a shame.

Great game Marvin.

Many are trying to give him a backhanded compliment by saying it was "just the Knicks." Well heck, why didn't Smoove have a great game too if it was "just the Knicks?" Thank God Marv did have a great game otherwise we might very well have LOST to "just the Knicks."

Marv played GREAT on both ends of the floor and he did a lot of things that folks on this board say he can't do. He finished after contact. He took players off the dribble. He shared the ball and never forced anything. He didn't make dumb TOs. He rebounded on BOTH ends. He was TERRIFIC on D all night at both SF AND PF. He was focused. He was huge in a must win game for us no matter who the opponent was. He was great!

Marvin has cost the Hawks far fewer lay ups and dunks off of rebounds than Josh Smith has. Josh is too quick to leave his man to go for the shot block, and when that happens, he puts himself out of position to rebound. Also, his propensity for letting his man go around him so he can come from behind and block the shot has given the way to a lot of lay ups.

Marvin is much better as a positional defender than Josh Smith is.

It is what is needed. Marvin has shown good defensive effort in many games. My problem with MW is his offensive focus.

With a game on the road tomorrow, Marvin's effort today was greatly needed. JSmiths rebounding early and Al's work was very good also.

Kudos to Marvin.

Acie needs to show quicks and overall "Ballistics". At this point of the season, there are No More Rookies. Acie still looks like a Rook.

I'm hoping Salim's ankle allows him to play this week. Memphis, Toronto and Philly will have some "three guard sets" on the court. Salim should have an opportunity to get minutes and contribute.

Quote:

Many are trying to give him a backhanded compliment by saying it was "just the Knicks." Well heck, why didn't Smoove have a great game too if it was "just the Knicks?" Thank God Marv did have a great game otherwise we might very well have LOST to "just the Knicks."

Marv played GREAT on both ends of the floor and he did a lot of things that folks on this board say he can't do. He finished after contact. He took players off the dribble. He shared the ball and never forced anything. He didn't make dumb TOs. He rebounded on BOTH ends. He was TERRIFIC on D all night at both SF AND PF. He was focused. He was huge in a must win game for us no matter who the opponent was. He was great!

And those are the things that could make Marvin a great player one day.

There are no physical limitations in Marvin Williams game. He has the great combination of a guy who has the length/athleticism who can finish above the rim as well as the silky smooth jumper.

What will separate Marvin from being a role player in the Tayshaun Prince role offensively to being a legit scoring threat in the Jamison role will be developing his offensive game on the block and off the dribble

Quote:

Actually, it was just the knicks. That is a fact. They played no defense.

That's not to say that Smooth hasn't been asleep since the all star break, because he has, but you can't deny that a big game against the Knicks isn't as impressive as a big game against a team that actually tries.

That said, Marvin did a lot of things I haven't seen him do consistently before, even against bad teams. It was definitely a great game for him.