SG - Bell

PG - Dooling

3rd Team

C - D. Howard

PF - Hayes

SF - Pierce

SG - Bryant

PG - Billups

All on playoff teams! What a coincidence!

Quote:

1st Team

C - Duncan

PF - Garnett

SF - Prince

SG - Battier

PG - Rondo

2nd Team

C - Camby

PF - R. Wallace

SF - B. Bowen

SG - Bell

PG - Dooling

3rd Team

C - D. Howard

PF - Hayes

SF - Pierce

SG - Bryant

PG - Billups

It amazes me that JSmoove can be 2nd in the league in blocked shots two years in a row and not even get a mention on this list. I wonder if he was 1st in blocks instead of 2nd behind Camby would he still be ignored by the mainstream press.

• Admin

...because he is not very good at defending his man one on one. Steals and Blocks does not mean you are an excellent defender. He is not bad but he is not all defensive. I don't even think he is the best defender on the team. Personally I think both Horford and West are better defenders right now.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It amazes me that JSmoove can be 2nd in the league in blocked shots two years in a row and not even get a mention on this list. I wonder if he was 1st in blocks instead of 2nd behind Camby would he still be ignored by the mainstream press.

Block shots are only a small part of playing good defense. Stopping your man from scoring is the primary goal! Allowing your man to score 30 at a high percentage while blocking his shot twice is not widely considered good defense. The Hawks need to improve their individual defense from top to bottom! Position defense is much more effective than a block shot!

• Moderators

Quote:

1st Team

C - Duncan

PF - Garnett

SF - Prince

SG - Battier

PG - Rondo

2nd Team

C - Camby

PF - R. Wallace

SF - B. Bowen

SG - Bell

PG - Dooling

3rd Team

C - D. Howard

PF - Hayes

SF - Pierce

SG - Bryant

PG - Billups

UK representing!

Quote:

Allowing your man to score 30 at a high percentage while blocking his shot twice is not widely considered good defense. The Hawks need to improve their individual defense from top to bottom! Position defense is much more effective than a block shot!

true dat.

Josh struggles at times because he's playing true power forwards. For a small forward playing power forward, I'd say he's done a good job defensively for the most part this year. The two guys mentioned (Drew Gooden and Carlos Boozer) are both true power forwards. The fact that he's banging with these guys night in and night out has to be taken into consideration when analyzing Josh's performance defensively this year.

• Moderators

Quote:

Josh struggles at times because he's playing true power forwards. For a small forward playing power forward, I'd say he's done a good job defensively for the most part this year. The two guys mentioned (Drew Gooden and Carlos Boozer) are both true power forwards. The fact that he's banging with these guys night in and night out has to be taken into consideration when analyzing Josh's performance defensively this year.

He does much better defending PFs than he does defending SFs like Richard Jefferson or Rashard Lewis.

While I agree that Smoove struggles with PF matchups, I think he should get more credit for the impact of his mere presence. There are so many times where he just erases penetration, alters shots or intimidates without blocking the shot. Not to mention he averages 1.5 steals as a combo F.

And to have Dooling on the 2nd Team with his 18 minutes a game...over Billups yet? Bowen the overrated-dirty-cheap shot-hatchet man who gets a free pass to foul at will every game? Paul Pierce? HOLLINGER IS A JOKE!

Quote:

It amazes me that JSmoove can be 2nd in the league in blocked shots two years in a row and
not even get a mention on this list.
I wonder if he was 1st in blocks instead of 2nd behind Camby would he still be ignored by the mainstream press.

He DID mention JSmoove. You see what kind of problem you made Pimp without providing a LINK. lol

Here is the LINK

POWER FORWARDS

Honorable mention: Anderson Varejao, Boris Diaw, Josh Smith, Lamar Odom

"Smith (2.83) is an amazing shot-blocker, and the other parts of his defensive game are rounding into shape … but they're not quite there yet. His lapses are definitely much fewer and farther between than in years past, so give him another year or two, and he'll probably climb into the top three."

I've seen Josh Smith match up with perimeter players many times this year, and he's done a good job. He had Josh Howard literally scared to drive the ball on him in that game against Dallas(in Dallas) earlier this year. What's more is, Josh's perimeter defense is going to get better. The fact that he plays big in big games shows he's a keeper no matter what forward spot he plays. Al Horford just happens to be a very good player and will be a GREAT player at the 4 spot. I think moving Josh over to the three spot( something BK mentioned) is the hawks best bet next year. You can't teach size and you can't teach heart. In these final games that decide the hawks fate, we're seeing just exactly who the big game players are that the hawks need to keep, and which players are not. We're seeing the difference between guys who show up and take the lead and guys who just come along for the ride. Josh Smith is a keeper.