• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Aldridge on Larry Brown and HAWKS

NJHAWK

He has an article in todays Philly Enquierer about the winners and losers of the big league trades in Feb. I will write what he said about the hawks. " FEB 16TH: The Atlanta Hawks aquired G Mike Bibby from the Kings for F Shelden Williams, G Tyrone Lue, G Anthony Johnson, FC Lorenzen Wright and a 2008 2nd round draft pick. The big winner of this trade: LARRY BROWN, who is a better than even bet to become the Hawks next coach, and who will have a solid point guard in Bibby to scream at for the next couple of seasons.

That is an interesting take. DA is usually reliable and knowledgable.

Brown coming to Atlanta will help the team get over the hump. This team is so much better than that Knicks "team" he had to deal with. Every Hawk player is willing to be coached. David Lee seems like the only guy on the Knicks that wants to be coached. IMO, Law is the biggest winner from Brown comig to Atlanta in terms of Hawks players. For us fans, Brown will get the team together, he will just leave after 3 or 4 seasons.

Quote:

He has an article in todays Philly Enquierer about the winners and losers of the big league trades in Feb. I will write what he said about the hawks. " FEB 16TH: The Atlanta Hawks aquired G Mike Bibby from the Kings for F Shelden Williams, G Tyrone Lue, G Anthony Johnson, FC Lorenzen Wright and a 2008 2nd round draft pick. The big winner of this trade: LARRY BROWN, who is a better than even bet to become the Hawks next coach, and who will have a solid point guard in Bibby to scream at for the next couple of seasons.

Larry Brown

If Woody was too tough on these babies, LB will have them seeking psych's, their former high school and college coaches, Smoking More weed and weirding out as Diaw did. If you think Woody basted their azzes LB will straight run the weak minded, immature young guys Out of here.

And then he will quit.

Big difference between Larry Brown and Woody...LB commands respect. He's earned it.

I think all coaches will start out with the respect of players...but after you put up a winning % of ~.300, that starts to slip.

I can't see any issues between our current roster and Brown. Maybe Salim...but I doubt he's here anyway. Zaza will pout, but nobody will care.

I wonder if Salim would be out if we get Brown. Salim has some characteristics that Brown tends to like. Yes, Salim can be moody and distant, but I think that is the only way he knows how to deal with the circumstances he finds himself in. Brown likes hard-nosed players. While Salim is an offensive player, the kid has moxie and the desire to be better. Taken with Salim's natural shooting ability, I really think Brown could utilize him better than Woodson has.

I agree Z will be in trouble with Brown.

The starting 5 will thrive under Brown.

My one concern is Marvin, but I think Brown (if anyone) can get MW to actually reach into some of that potential that made him a near concensus #2 pick. If not, MW will fade into obscurity...

Quote:

I wonder if Salim would be out if we get Brown. Salim has some characteristics that Brown tends to like. Yes, Salim can be moody and distant, but I think that is the only way he knows how to deal with the circumstances he finds himself in. Brown likes hard-nosed players. While Salim is an offensive player, the kid has moxie and the desire to be better. Taken with Salim's natural shooting ability, I really think Brown could utilize him better than Woodson has.

My one concern is Marvin, but I think Brown (if anyone) can get MW to actually reach into some of that potential that made him a near concensus #2 pick. If not, MW will fade into obscurity...

Isn't Salim's contract up after this year? More than likely, he wouldn't be around for Brown to work with.

Quote:

I think Marvin would do well under LB. He seems like a player that would thrive in a highly structured environment. The one I think would have problems with LB is Smoove. I just don't see those two egos co-existing.

Quote:

Quote:

I think Marvin would do well under LB. He seems like a player that would thrive in a highly structured environment. The one I think would have problems with LB is Smoove. I just don't see those two egos co-existing.

There is no way Brown will let Smith jack up 3s or lead the fast break.

Quote:

I think Brown would be the best thing to ever happen to both Smith and Marvin.

Players like ZaZa who don't know how to play defense will not even be in the rotation. I see Brown playing Solo (if he plays D) or finding some one who, at least, knows what defense is.

I also see Bibby as one season and done under Brown......again, Bibby's defense will drive Brown crazy.

Horford and JJ are perfect for Brown (or any coach for that matter). The way they both play big on both ends of the court is a coaches dream for your "star players" to play and lead by example like that.

• Premium Member

I usually don't doubt DA... But I hope if we seek out a new coach it's Dale Harris. Larry Brown is more of the same. I know he has the reputation, however, I don't think he'll do well with our guys.

Quote:

Larry Clown would be one of the WORST fits for this team. I would damn near rather keep Woody. Clown ruins teams and alienates players. He calls player out in the media and is a cry baby. Do you really want this influence and luggage on our team?

Hmm, a coach has recently won an NBA championship, has built playoff contending teams and is routinely credited for the development of some of the better pgs in the game? Yeah, I will take that over what we have right now.

Quote:

Larry Clown would be one of the WORST fits for this team. I would damn near rather keep Woody. Clown ruins teams and alienates players. He calls player out in the media and is a cry baby. Do you really want this influence and luggage on our team?

The only man who has won the NCAA Championship AND NBA Title as head coach is a "clown" in your book ? Wow !

1. Ya, Brown really "ruined" the UK program by winning the National Title on 1988.

2. He really "ruined" that Clippers team when he lead them to their first playoff appearance in decade in the mid 90's.

3. He really "ruined" that Spurs team with a young David Robinson and Sean Elliot....

4. He really "ruined" the 76ers team he lead to the NBA Finals vs. the Lakers.

5. He really "ruined" that Pistons team who won the NBA Championship vs. the Lakers.

6. The Knicks team is and was beyond repair. It needs to be blown up ! You think Brown would have OK'd the Randolph move ? You think he would have given the "farm" to No defense Eddy Curry ? You think he chose to bring in street ballers Marbury, Crawford, and Richardson, where none play defense, and is the most disfunctional backcourt in Knicks history ? How easy is it to take orders from I. Thomas ? I. Thomas ruined the Knicks beyond repair.....not Brown.

I'll take those odds......5 out of 6 times Brown succeeds where ever he goes. How anyone holds him responsible for the Knicks is beyond me....in my book he is 5 for 5 !

Quote:

Larry Brown is more of the same. I know he has the reputation, however, I don't think he'll do well with our guys.

I dont want Larry and I think he's vastly overrated. But let's be honest, Larry Brown is not more of the same. Larry BRown is what Woody wishes he was

• Moderators

Quote:

1. Ya, Brown really "ruined" the
KU
program by winning the National Title on 1988.

On Brown, I do think his ego was running out of control when he reached the Knicks and that it was a problem. However, he has a very positive, proven track record as a standout coach and has to be a little more grounded than he was in the all-around disaster that was the Knicks. It seems clear to me that Brown had a power struggle in New York where he wanted control over Isiah and that influenced his handling of the team (trying to show that Isiah had put together a bunch of me-first chuckers that couldn't win). I don't fear another New York Knicks here in Atlanta.