• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Fratello

KB21

I've said it before, but I have to keep saying it. I really hope the Hawks hire Mike Fratello to be the head coach this offseason. He's the best coach this team has ever had, and if we want to get back to the kind of success we were having in the '80s, we need to bring Mike back.

I hated the game, but I loved listening to Mike's analysis of the game last night. Mike and Hubie Brown are the best basketball analysts on TV, and it shouldn't be a surprise that Hubie is essentially Mike's mentor.

I enjoyed how they brought up the Hawks past, specifically talking about when Mike coached the team and when Doc played for the team.

I know the Hawks may be smitten with Larry Brown right now, and Larry is a great coach. Mike Fratello is a better long term investment though.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I've said it before, but I have to keep saying it. I really hope the Hawks hire Mike Fratello to be the head coach this offseason. He's the best coach this team has ever had, and if we want to get back to the kind of success we were having in the '80s, we need to bring Mike back.

I hated the game, but I loved listening to Mike's analysis of the game last night. Mike and Hubie Brown are the best basketball analysts on TV, and it shouldn't be a surprise that Hubie is essentially Mike's mentor.

I enjoyed how they brought up the Hawks past, specifically talking about when Mike coached the team and when Doc played for the team.

I know the Hawks may be smitten with Larry Brown right now, and Larry is a great coach. Mike Fratello is a better long term investment though.

Careful! You might ignite the support Mike Woodson group!

Considering that I was one of the few that was willing to give Mike Woodson a chance when many wanted him fired after his first season, I'm not too concerned with igniting any crowd at this point. To me, it is painfully obvious that this team underachieved this season, and that Mike has been unable to get the point about playing defense across to his players.

I just thought of something though, and I realize how unlikely it is. I like Billy Knight, but I think it is important to have a general manager and a head coach that is on the same page and have similar philosophies. With my desire to have Mike Fratello as the head coach, I wonder if Hubie Brown would be interested in being a general manager?

Mike has cooled off a bit. He was quite a hot head AND motivator back in his Atlanta days. Don't let his size fool you, he was one fiesty coach.

He matuered and mellowed during his Cleveland and Memphis years.

Fratello would probably be an even better coach now then he was in the 80's.

He is a pototypical X & O coach with vast NBA expierence.

I would take him over Larry Brown too. I like Larry Brown alot !

• Premium Member

Quote:

To me, it is painfully obvious that this team underachieved this season, and that Mike has been unable to get the point about playing defense across to his players.

Do you think that they aren't trying or is it his system and methodology? The reason I ask is this is the only team that I've watched on a consistent basis that ends up through their dumb switches with the worse case scenrio multiple times during a game. Like Mike Bibby guarding Garnett in the post! The announcers for the games point this out constantly. Also, it looks like for example, Marvin is trying to force Pierce to his left down the lane. But when he does it. you would think that Woodson was trying to set Pierce up for the charge but he is not because no one ever slides over to take the charge. So is it system or desire?

Here are a couple of articles that I found.

Mike Fratello - 1994

This article is from 1994 when Mike was the head coach of the Cavaliers. A couple of things that I want to pull out of this article:

Quote:

"Mike is a very tough guy," says Kings guard Spud Webb, who played for Fratello in Atlanta. "Mike, doesn't like players who are soft. He likes players who can take a lick and hand one out."

You wonder why Mike and the Memphis players didn't mesh? Pau Gasol = soft. Mike Miller = soft. Damon Stoudamire = soft.

Quote:

"Mike is the kind of coach who wants you to get up in a guy's face, pressure him, play all-out defense. Then when you have the ball, he wants you get out and run, force the issue," says Cavs guard John Battle, who also played under Fratello for five seasons in Atlanta. "But most of all, Mike just wants to win. And then he wants to hug you and high-five after it's over."

That's what I remember from his Hawks days. I think Mike gets the reputation as a walk the ball up the court, half court oriented type of coach, and I don't believe that is the case. I believe his ideal style is what was just described. He's all about pressure. He wants you to play all out defense, and he wants you to force your will offensively on the team. I look at his team in Memphis, and I can see why he played the style he played there. I believe that Mike knew his team would never play defense well enough to be able to push the issue offensively. So, he was fired, and they brought in a two coaches who have allowed the team to push the issue offensively without focusing on defense. They are already looking to replace Iavaroni.

Quote:

"There are only two stages for a team to be in: Either you are in a rebuilding mode or you are trying to win a championship," Fratello says. "There really is nothing in between. Building toward contending for a championship should be every team's ultimate goal."

Quote:

"Mike is very direct with the players in regards to what he wants from them and what he expects from them. I think, as a player, that's all you can ask for. He's entitled to his own style, his methods, his ways of getting the job done. He's the coach. The players, they're getting paid to play the game."

Needless to say, I believe it is the right time for this team to hire Mike Fratello. This team needs someone with a disciplined structure that focuses on defense. Now, Mike Woodson has that reputation, but his actual implementation of that style is what has gone wrong. The Hawks are at the point where the rebuilding is over, and it's time to get better and start doing the things championship teams do.

Probably a little of both.

I don't think the desire to play defense is consistent. They have proven that it is there, but there are entirely too many lax moments in their defensive effort.

However, I was definitely scratching my head at the defensive rotations last night. There was one play where Joe was on Paul Pierce. Rajon Rondo comes down to screen Joe, and Mike Bibby sagged down into the lane instead of coming out on Pierce. The result was an open shot, because Joe had to fight through the screen and there was no help. When I played basketball in high school, we were taught that when your man is setting a screen, you take the player coming off the screen.

Quote:

Here are a couple of articles that I found.

Mike Fratello - 1994

This article is from 1994 when Mike was the head coach of the Cavaliers. A couple of things that I want to pull out of this article:

Quote:

"Mike is a very tough guy," says Kings guard Spud Webb, who played for Fratello in Atlanta. "Mike, doesn't like players who are soft. He likes players who can take a lick and hand one out."

You wonder why Mike and the Memphis players didn't mesh? Pau Gasol = soft. Mike Miller = soft. Damon Stoudamire = soft.

Quote:

"Mike is the kind of coach who wants you to get up in a guy's face, pressure him, play all-out defense. Then when you have the ball, he wants you get out and run, force the issue," says Cavs guard John Battle, who also played under Fratello for five seasons in Atlanta. "But most of all, Mike just wants to win. And then he wants to hug you and high-five after it's over."

That's what I remember from his Hawks days. I think Mike gets the reputation as a walk the ball up the court, half court oriented type of coach, and I don't believe that is the case. I believe his ideal style is what was just described. He's all about pressure. He wants you to play all out defense, and he wants you to force your will offensively on the team. I look at his team in Memphis, and I can see why he played the style he played there. I believe that Mike knew his team would never play defense well enough to be able to push the issue offensively. So, he was fired, and they brought in a two coaches who have allowed the team to push the issue offensively without focusing on defense. They are already looking to replace Iavaroni.

Quote:

"There are only two stages for a team to be in: Either you are in a rebuilding mode or you are trying to win a championship," Fratello says. "There really is nothing in between. Building toward contending for a championship should be every team's ultimate goal."

Quote:

"Mike is very direct with the players in regards to what he wants from them and what he expects from them. I think, as a player, that's all you can ask for. He's entitled to his own style, his methods, his ways of getting the job done. He's the coach. The players, they're getting paid to play the game."

Needless to say, I believe it is the right time for this team to hire Mike Fratello. This team needs someone with a disciplined structure that focuses on defense. Now, Mike Woodson has that reputation, but his actual implementation of that style is what has gone wrong. The Hawks are at the point where the rebuilding is over, and it's time to get better and start doing the things championship teams do.

From the tone of that article it seems that Bibby and Marvin won't be good fits with Fratello's style since Bibby has never played defense and Marvin is soft.

I also really enjoyed Mike's comments throughout the game. He seems to have a good handle on whats happening out there and why. It didn't take him long before he realized he Hawks have to change something when Bibby isn't connecting. Funny how everyone else gets these things before Mr Potatohead does.

I think Mike Fratello would have had Acie Law more prepared to play as well. Granted, injuries hampered Acie's progress as a rookie, but it seems to me that Mike just basically gave up on giving Acie time on the court.

I think Fratello would have allowed Acie to work through some of that. Acie is the type of player that Mike Fratello would love. He's tough. He's a willing defender. He typically makes smart decisions with the ball.

Quote:

Probably a little of both.

I don't think the desire to play defense is consistent. They have proven that it is there, but there are entirely too many lax moments in their defensive effort.

However, I was definitely scratching my head at the defensive rotations last night. There was one play where Joe was on Paul Pierce. Rajon Rondo comes down to screen Joe, and Mike Bibby sagged down into the lane instead of coming out on Pierce. The result was an open shot, because Joe had to fight through the screen and there was no help. When I played basketball in high school, we were taught that when your man is setting a screen, you take the player coming off the screen.

The problem with the Hawks is that when the other team sets a screen they either switch resulting in a bad mismatch (i.e., Bibby guarding Garnett in the post) or they always go under the screen, leaving the shooter wide open. The Hawks players never fight through a screen.

Maybe so.

Conversely, I think Mike Fratello would love Joe Johnson, Al Horford, and Josh Smith. Josh Smith has his faults, but I wouldn't consider him a soft player by any stretch. I also think Acie Law would be a Fratello favorite.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well, in Woody's defense... If Bibby isn't getting it done the Hawks don't have a shot to win a game in this series anyway. WTF is Law going to do? Go in there and just dribble the ball around and not even shoot?

He'll at least play a little defense! Offense is only 1/3 of the game my brother.

• Premium Member

Quote:

How many players has Law shut down? C'mon man.

If Bibby doesn't play well the hawks aren't going to win anyway. They can't even beat Indiana when Bibby doesn't play well. The other options aren't always good. In this case they're not either.

Nobody is suggesting that you play Law 42 minutes but give him at least 15-20 minutes to see what you have!

• Premium Member

Quote:

JJ is already struggling against Boston and putting Law in only makes it worse. The problem is Law was poorly developed, but it's too late this year to do anything about it now.

O.K. you win! Play Bibby 48 minutes! that's out best chance at winning

Quote:

I think Mike Fratello would have had Acie Law more prepared to play as well. Granted, injuries hampered Acie's progress as a rookie, but it seems to me that Mike just basically gave up on giving Acie time on the court.

I think Fratello would have allowed Acie to work through some of that. Acie is the type of player that Mike Fratello would love. He's tough. He's a willing defender. He typically makes smart decisions with the ball.

Good points.

Acie Law is almost a spitting image of a young Glenn "doc" Rivers too. (His old starting PG in the ATL.) Both are 6'3'' PGs who can do a little of everything including defend.

Fratello would play Horford at PF and Smith at SF. He loves big frontlines who can also run. Look at his past frontlines he has coached:

Atlanta

Wilkens 6'8'' and Wilkens 6'8''

Wills 7' Willis 7'

Rollins 7' Malone 6'10''

Cleveland

Nance 6'9'' (great athlete and past dunk champ like 'Nique)

Hot Rod Wiliams 6'11''

Daughrety 6'11''

(With a back court of Price and Ehlo they had to play walk it up style , Nance was in his 30's)

Memphis

Miller 6'8''

Gasol 7'

Wright 6'11''

(big but soft, he inherited this from Jerry West)

I can see him making this roster work:

Bibby/ Law

JJ / West

Smith , Marvin or Chillz

Horford

Diop