• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JT vs. Dickau.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

OK... Let's examine.

What will Dickau do this year?

I think JT is more athletic. Faster and probably a better Shooter. But I think Dickau may be a better Leader???

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...03/21hawks.html

In reply to:

Hawks second-year point guard Dan Dickau had no trouble being an offensive threat this week. He looked more confident and aggressive on the floor, averaging 13.5 points in the first four games before he was slowed by tendinitis in his right Achilles. Dickau also was a more vocal floor leader.

"One of thing I'm going to have to be able to do is direct traffic a little better when I'm in games next year," said Dickau, the 28th overall pick in 2002.

I gained this thought not from this article but from Dickau's College years vs. JT's college Years.

IN College JT was less of a vocal leader on the floor (part of the reason why Bibby was the PG and JT rode the bench in Bibby's freshman year). However, Dickau was a leader at Gonzaga. I remember him barking at guys.

NO way Dickau can trump JT's experience to this point but with experience it could be like comparing Kenny Anderson to John Stockton?

The problem is Dickau's propensity to get hurt? Is he durable?

This year will be interesting.

Also,

What is the chance that Charles Smith has found a Vet Min Spot with the Hawks? I mean 3 games 10 steals is not bad...

I watched DD for three games this summer, and I was really disapointed in his performance. He was great against Clevland, but he was terrible on Saturday and only played a bit on Sunday (he wasn't impressive then either). Along with his size problems, he has reall speed issues as he got burned by much faster gaurds. If can get his 3pt shooting back to his college level he can provide us help, yet he is a defensive liability.

I'd say JT is a better scorer and not a better shooter.

John Stockton is a shooter......JT is a scorer.

As far as Dickau goes..The guy offers very little.Didn't

he get own by some mid first round Banks or whatever?

I still see him as that Vaughn or Brevin Knight type of

guy.....that isn't good enough.Seems as if Dickau doesn't have the speed or athletic ability to keep up.

[censored],I can go out there and bark at people...Where is my

contract?

• Premium Member

If you can make the good pass into the post, throw it to the open man on the break, and get the ball across the half court line against Token pressure, and NOT throw it to Big Dog the first time you cross halfcourt, I'd sign you up for the league Min....

That's only if you can do those other things will barking at everybody else....

Ok everyone knows im a huge JT fan and I will hate losing him. Alot of you say to trade JT, but alot of you want JT as a Hawk and so do I, of course. JT is definitely a keeper....anyone that can get you 17+ ppg and 7+apg is a heck of a player.

So lets compare JT vs Dickau:

- Putting the ball in the hole: JT anyday over Dan...JT is an explosive scorer and he can score even more if he wanted to, but he enjoys playing the distributor role.

- Court Vision: JT has good instinct and good court vision. I havent seen Dan play much but some of you say he has better court vision than JT. I have seen Dan made some really fancy passes but I have also seen JT do the same. I say is equal.

- Shooting: JT is definitely a better shooter than Dickau, although Dan has shot the ball quite well in the summer league, but then again is just summer league, we have to see what he can do against the bad boys. We all know what JT can do.

- Defense: This category is fairly equal. Dan seems more feisty, but is his foot speed that does not let him recover against the PG's in this league.

I know I can go on and on with more categories but IMO these are the main ones.

My opinion is that I will never trade or let go a proven player that is only 25 years old for a player that has seen limited time in a pro game.

My take on those issues...

Scoring - JT is better at scoring, but I wouldnt say that he is too far ahead. Dan is able to score on the move pretty well but JT is definitely a better finisher.

Shooting - They are pretty close. Dickau is a very good shooter and is really starting to get his range down. JT is an excellent shooter so right now I would put him ahead of Dickau.

Court Vision - This is not even close. While JT has on occassion made a good pass, he rarely surprises the defense with the pass and rarely gets the ball up the court quickly by way of passing instead of dribbling. Both are what Dickau excells at. He is able to find his man in the right position at the right time.

Defense - JT is a better defender but Dickau gives more effort. Neither are all that good but JT is the better of the two. I dont think that Dickau has the speed to play defensively in this league and be successful so he will need help from a good system to get by.

Leadership - While everyone loves JT, he is not the court leader that Dickau is. When you play basketball and have a good PG on your team that is a true PG, you can feel it being the other players. Dickau is the type of guy that controls things and gets people where they need to be. Right now he is still young and will take time to learn the NBA game, but the kid is a natural born leader. JT is a firey competitor but thats about it. The guy really does have a SG mentality and there is nothing wrong with that unless we want him to be our PG. If JT was 6'6 he would be a perennial All-Star at SG but his height really hurts him. That and he doesnt have much of a wingspan either.

Well thats my take on the issue. As of right now I would rather have JT start at PG over Dickau but in a year or two that will most likely change.

How can you compare the two? One has been in the league longer and played more than one position. The other got injured early so only played the end of last year as a backup and now the summer league games...

I'm a dickau fan and i can see that he is not ready yet. But i'm not saying he's done either just because he's not 6 foot 5.

I watched the cleveland game(thanks for the tip dimes4life on the satellite thing) and was pretty impressed. I always thought people said he reminded them of Steve Nash because he is white with floppy hair. But he actually does play like Nash plays. But he's dishing to these scrub guys so it doesn't help his play any.

I thought i heard he schooled marcus banks a couple of times.

But I love Jt also and he is our here and now starter. Dickau should start on the bench until he gets some experience and IF he gets real good, then we can compare the two and worry about who to keep.

I'd say Dickau is a better shooter than JT.JT is a poor

shooter who takes alot of attempts.But I just don't

see how anyone sees such potential in Dan.Dan is

like Brevin with a jumpshot and worse defense.Not

that it's bad....But it's not somebody to go crazy over.

Dickau's"court vision"really didn't impress me at a Kidd

or Stockton level.And he just doesn't bring enough to

really be labeled with potential.

He has poor height,poor defensive awareness,can't get

to the basket,his shooting needs more consisant work.DD

is not a dumb player and doesn't seem poorly coached.I

think Dan if you give him 33MPG he'll post these numbers

11PPG 6APG 44%fg 1 steal

I think he can post those type of numbers.But unless we

can switch JT with a young allstar SG I just don't see much.

Dan is a player that you will have to let him just play

his role and let him just focus on being a PG.If you

put him in a pressure situation to be a top scorer on

a team like an Eric Snow he will not be as effective.

I know Dan was a good scorer and college...blah blah

blah.But Dan is not a 3rd option scorer.

I don't think Dog/Shareef/Theo and a average SG can

carry a offense.

O.K. fellas, let me break down the Dickau vs. Terry debate. First off, y'all know that I am a huge Dickau fan, but the fact of the matter is that Terry is a better player than Dickau right now-and might even be a better player(statistically) when both of their careers are over and done. But we are not here to debate who is the better player, but rather who is the better point guard? You guys have tried to judge every aspect of Dickau's game and some of you have made some good points but some of you are on another planet when it comes to picking apart Dan Dickau. I believe that Dan Dickau will be a mixture of these three point guards, and he has already shown these qualities: John Stockton- Dickau has the headiness and work ethic that Stockton has. Steve Nash- Dickau does resemble Nash physically and even has the same flaws, such as lateral quickness and the ability to guard quicker guards. Mark Price- Dickau has by far the most similarities with Price. They both have a dash of flare to their game, both love to shoot the long ball and penetrate(to pass), and both are almost exactly the same height and weight ranging anywhere from 6'0-6'1 and 180-185 pounds. Furthermore, Dickau's game has vastly improved and he does look quicker and more aggressive. Remember JEDDELONG, the reason he looked so slow the final two games of the summer league was because he "had tendinitis in his achilles". Could this have anything to do with it. And HOTATLANTA, "11 pts., 6 dimes in 33 minutes"? Try like 14 and 7.5 in 33 minutes, if you want to speculate numbers.

Dan Dickau vs. Jason Terry

Shooting: Terry(currently)

Passing: Dickau

Court awareness:Dickau

Tempo: Dickau:

Willingnes to get all teamates involved: Dickau

Scoring: Terry

Athletic ability: Terry

And that's how these two players should be analyzed.

Remember JEDDELONG, the reason he looked so slow the final two games of the summer league was because he "had tendinitis in his achilles". Could this have anything to do with it. And HOTATLANTA, "11 pts., 6 dimes in 33 minutes"? Try like 14 and 7.5 in 33 minutes, if you want to speculate numbers."

Why should I think he'll post those numbers?He isn't

going to be able to get to the basket in the NBA from

what I can tell.He'll have to count on his still inconsisant

jumpshot.

I think it's easier for Dan because he isn't supposed to be

a force in the manner JT is.

I think your running away with Nash/Price compare because

they are white.I'm not a believer that Dan can average

20PPG in the NBA.He just doesn't appear to be good enough.There is nothing speical about Dan....He'll be an average starter.DD has ALONG way to go in showing the type of moves that Nash has.All I've seen from Dan is jumpshots.I'm not an easy person to convince anymore.

I see Brevin Knight with a better jumper.He'll run the

team well....but I think he'll boarderline a starter.

I'd really rather have someone better than a both of

them.One isn't a PG and the other is a boarderline

starter.

Well, I've had enough...

Give a guy a chance for goodness sake. He knows he didn't play well enough last year. He doesn't need everyone and their brother telling him what he already knows. You're all concerned with now, now, now... let him develop! He got injured, couldn't contribute for 20 some games, and then did well most of the time when he came back. No, the stats weren't there, but how can they be when you're only getting 10 minutes of mop-up time a night? Don't make him the scapegoat for the Hawks troubles. He wasn't in long enough to ruin things for them. Want something to be upset about? Come on here and complain when JT shoots 4-15 two or three nights in a row!!! Don't be all, "oh, he must be a little off. It's ok. He's JT!" If Dan did that, you'd be saying "throw him off the team!!! He's a scrub! Worthless! Can't believe we even tried with him." Well, when he gets it together, and shows everyone what a player he really is, many of you will feel like idiots for doubting. And you should.

Here are my questions...

1)When have I really defended JT this year?

2)Why is it so absurd to think Dickau is a role player

instead of a star?I don't care what he has done in the

talent drained college game.

3)Where did I say Dan is the cause of any problems?We

sucked before the guy was drafted.

Anytime I've tried to put a positive thought for this

team or players I've been let down.So I'm not going

to do it.

This really isn't about stats.I've not seen anything that

would tell me that he is anything more than a great

college player to NBA role player.

You biased fans are nuts.I hope I never become a

biased fan.

.428 vs .412 (thats JT vs DD- not much difference. If like u say, he shoots 4-15 two or three nights in a row... he must do a lotta good shooting to make up for that, rite???)

Im not here to bash DD, thats why i dont make any comparisons to anything. But i will let u know my first impressions- NBADRAFT.NET had him compared to JT but better shooting version. I have yet to see that... thats all i gotta say.

Listen, I don't believe Dickau is going to be some Jesus and save the Hawks, but by God I do believe he can lead a team successfully in a matter of a few years. FOR DD to be successful he will need a SOLID big man that he will need on his team...He has been successful only when he has had a solid big man. In college, he had Violette, Guorde and Tuirafff. His junior year, he had Calvary. Like Stockton had Malone, Nash has Nowitzki, and Price had Daughtery and Nance....Dickau must have a SOLID big man who can run the pick and roll with him.

the funny thing is that we're not getting rid of either one so there's no use is arguing who is better and who we should keep..

in my opinion are guard situation is vastly improved with the draft and if we either resign dj or pick a decent defensive free agent, our guard situation will be just fine. dickau can come off the bench to get increasing minutes so we can see if he develops or not and jt will have some ballhandling help..

we still need to do something about our sf position but after that i think we'll be ok... our bench on the frontcourt(henderson, nazr) actually wasnt that bad, it was our guard backups that were bad and now that seems a bit better.. but glenrob has to go, he is sucking the life from our team in my opinion.

but overall, i never agree with getting rid of a rookie 1stround pick until they've had 3 years in the league to judge their talent(unless of course you get a phat trade offer). it can come back to bite you and it also may inhibit the development of the kid...