• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What can we get for Josh Smith?

Diesel

• Premium Member

The word for the day is Coachability.

If Woody is the coach, it's a strong possibility that Smoove is going to do the same thing that he has always done.

Horford looks like the PF of the future.

What can we get for Smoove.

I have a trade.

Smoove to Philly for Dalembert and #16 in the draft.

I wouldn't do that trade. Dalembert hasn't impressed me enough and the 16th pick's success is contingent upon this group making the right pick on an unestablished talent.

Plus, getting rid of Josh means that Dalembert and Marvin would have to make up for his production. I'm not that confident in either of those guys doing that.

wow like we need another supposed long athletic player in thaddeus young. dont trade smoove unless you get a good center, high pick [top 5], a better small forward such as richard jefferson. how about a smoove trade that makes sense. Smoove and fillers to new jersey for richard jefferson and fillers or better yet keep him and teach him not to keep shooting jump shots and throwing the ball away.

Quote:

The word for the day is Coachability.

If Woody is the coach, it's a strong possibility that Smoove is going to do the same thing that he has always done.

Horford looks like the PF of the future.

What can we get for Smoove.

I have a trade.

Smoove to Philly for Dalembert and #16 in the draft.

Doesn't matter. Smith's not going anywhere.

You know, it's real easy to point out Smith's flaws because we know him better than everybody, but he's really grown in four years, which is tough to see, again because we see him more than anybody.

Every year he does something a little better. Karl Malone, early in his career, dedicated himself to improving one facet of his game each offseason until he became the best power forward of his generation. Smith's got a little of that in him.

For instance, if he comes back next year and shoots 38% from 3 point range instead of 28%, do we feel better about him taking them? I think he's got it in him.

If he starts paying more attention to on the ball defense rather than just the spectacular blocks, do we feel better about him?

If his play on the road starts to become more consistent, as often happens as players mature, do we like him better?

His behavior and quotes in the media show increasing maturity. He's growing up. He's a good guy. He's local. He's spectacularly talented. Though he bucks at it, he takes coaching.

I think it'd be a huge mistake to trade Josh Smith, and say what you will about this ownership group and the management of the team, I'm pretty sure they feel the same way. They're going to re-up him for a nice number, maybe not max, but he's going to be here.

We shouldn't even be thinking about trading Josh....with or w/o Woody coaching next year!!! What's wrong with y'all? I understand the criticism that Marvin is catching because of what he should be able to do + we need from him vs. he's only 21-22. But Josh has a huge impact on this franchise and this city that can not simply be replaced by "adding a needed piece" and he wants to be here!

Guys, relax and take in the fact our team has finally made it back the playoffs, took the series all the way to Game 7, still remained very young, maintained cap flexibility (minus Speedy), played on a national TV stage and somewhat have ARRIVED.

Let's give them some rest, see how the summer goes, resign the Joshes, see how they develop after another offseason, and hope they come back with a strong healthy Bibby, get something for or from Speedy, and look for big things next year!!!!

LOL I posted a similar trade in the thread about Philly wanting Brand or Smoove. I had a deal of Dalembert, Lou Williams and pick 16. Really I was just throwing out something that would work cap wise if Smoove gets a max offer from Philly. Dalembert is limited offensively and has stated more than a few times that he wants the ball in the post more and he is not happy about not getting it. I think Philly is looking for a pf to play with Sam though. Just like we would be looking for a center to play with Al and Smoove. I dont see a deal happening because letting Smoove go to keep Woodson would cause a riot. I mean I know our owners are stupid but they cant be that stupid right.....

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the owners choose Woody over Smith... then that's seriously [censored] up.

What I'm afraid of with Smoove is the fact that he can't be coached....by Woody or otherwise. I think that the problem is that Smoove has great potential and should be here longer than Marvin. Even on a practical level, I think that you resign Smoove and see how it works out before trading him. However, if it is proven that Smoove don't get it, we got to trade him.

I have been on a Mike Miller kick for some reason - I don't know why after watching Wally Z get scortched the past two games but I am convinced he could be our Hedo Turkeglo. If we do lose Smith, I would love to see a great 3 point shooter that would make doubling Joe just impossible.

Acie / Bibby

Joe / Childress

Miller / Marvin

Horford / Solo

Anderson / Zaza

This team would really be modelled after Toronto / Orlando. One solid big in the middle with three shooters around the perimeter and a point guard that can break down the defense. That seams to be a good formula for moving up some playoff spots.

i'm not for trading josh but if we did, i would only do it for a package of a PG (IMO, Bibs is on the downside of his career) and someone that plays a similar role to smoove. Say Kirt Henrich and Tyrus Thomas. Tyrus doesn't do what Smoove does but he is a fairly close enough player and I'm thinking Henrich (sp) just had a "down" year. Would CHI or any other time with this type of package do the trade though? Do we have any picks this year? Because I'm sure PHXl gets our first and didn't we trade another for Bibby?

But I still feel Horford can play C in the league which is way I'm not really sold on trading Smoove.

The point (at least for me) is if Smith gets a max offer from Philly and we don't want to match, you have to get what you can get. Would you give Smith the max? I'm just not sure, especially when the alternative (Sam + Thad is my deal) replaces Smith's blocks, replaces his rebounding, moves Al to the 4, and improves the team at the 3 (Thad is probably better than Marv right now), and improves depth.

Since Smith is BYC we can only take back half of his salary and I'm not sure whether he can be packaged with another player at the same time either. So even if he gets a 13 million dollar a year deal (which I doubt) then we can only take back 6.5 million for him.

Quote:

The point (at least for me) is if Smith gets a max offer from Philly and we don't want to match, you have to get what you can get. Would you give Smith the max? I'm just not sure, especially when the alternative (Sam + Thad is my deal) replaces Smith's blocks, replaces his rebounding, moves Al to the 4, and improves the team at the 3 (Thad is probably better than Marv right now), and improves depth.

I don't think Philly has the cap room to give him a max deal.

I think in a trade of Smith...you grab a Center like Diop with the MLE and use Smith to grab the veteran shooter/scorer and draft pick or young pg to move bibby at the deadline.

Memphis with Miller+pick or Miller+Critt or Lowry. Diop MLE

Golden State take Biedriens + Buke and then sign Posey/James Jones with MLE.

Toronto, id take Calderon+Parker, Sign Diop.

Looking at the BYC post, yah the miller trade would be tougher to workout.

Philly only has 34 million in salaries committed to next season:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/philadelphia.htm

Which means that they could offer a max deal to someone. Now, considering they have to resign Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller, and only have 9 players under contract for next season, I doubt they would use a max deal on Smith (Billy King is not there anymore).

In any case, isnt Smith too young and inexperienced (only 1 head coach for his career) to be called uncoachable?

According to our capologist MrH this site is better to use for salaries than Hoopshype.

Philly has 35 million committed without re-signing Iggy next year. Miller is already under contract but assuming they re-sign Iggy to about 10 million a year that puts them at 45 million with 8 players under contract. Louis Williams will probably be re-signed even though he is a FA but even if they pay him 5 million (which I doubt) that only puts them around 50 million so they will have plenty of money to go after Josh Smith if they want.

Quote:

Philly only has 34 million in salaries committed to next season:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/philadelphia.htm

Which means that they could offer a max deal to someone. Now, considering they have to resign Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller, and only have 9 players under contract for next season, I doubt they would use a max deal on Smith (Billy King is not there anymore).

In any case, isnt Smith too young and inexperienced (only 1 head coach for his career) to be called uncoachable?

That doesn't take into account cap holds.

Quote:

Ed Stefanski's work has truly begun now that the 76ers have finished a season that was successful beyond anyone's expectations.

Stefanski, team president and general manager, has
about $11 million
in salary cap space to sign a coveted power forward and/or a shooting guard to help the 76ers get further in the NBA playoffs next season.

Their season ended last week when they lost their first-round series in six games to the Detroit Pistons.

"If it was a perfect world, I'd love a power forward to fall from the sky who can play with his back to the basket," Stefanski said. "But it's not a perfect world, so we'll see what's out there. There's no question that we're a team that's moving in the right direction, so, from that standpoint, I would think we'd be attractive to free agents."