• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Law vs Stuckey

DrReality

I haven't heard much about Stuckey but to get as many minutes as he has on that team is an accomplishment. My question is: is this another guy that BK missed on or is the difference in Law and Stuckey coaching? Law's injuries have to be considered too.

"Stuckey appeared in 57 games as a rookie, averaging 7.6 ppg, 2.8 apg and 2.3 rpg. He came off the bench in all but two of those games. Stuckey, unfortunately, is stuck behind Richard Hamilton and Chauncey Billups and while he stands to see more playing time next season, he likely won't break out until either player leaves the Pistons and that doesn't figure to happen anytime soon. His Fantasy appeal will be limited as a backup in 2008-09, making him worth only a late-round pick as insurance."

I don't think that we can make a fair assesment of the two players this year.

Law had injuries that really stimied him. It seemed everytime he started getting into a grove he'd get hurt.

Second, Stuckey played behind Billups all season. Stuckey could sit back and learn without pressure.

Third, Detroit is a vet team where all Stuckey has to do is manage the offense. Law, with all the youth on the team, has more on court responsibilities, including creating all the offesne when JJ wasn't in the game. That is too much to ask of a rookie pg.

Finally, and not the least, its Woody vs. Flip. Woody has no offense. Flip is known for having a unique and easy to learn offense.

In essence, Stuckey went into a great situation, whereas Law came into a bad situation. You flip the players, and IMO, they have similar seasons.

I knew nothing about Stuck before the draft but he seems like a BK pick.

A scoring pg at 6'4" without shoes with a 6'7" wingspan. He was abusing J. Nelson driving making him stumble out of bounds with no contact. What is that about, J. Nelson is 5'11" without shoes and you'll think the advantage would be foot speed against a player 5 inches taller than you.

Driving and finishing against Howard while finding an open man when drawing a double.

Hope i'm wrong but this me be another blown pick. If he develops range to the 3...

Stuckey had a better situatuation and got called out by Dumars during the season,he said something like, "I didn't draft u to be timid".He had the better coach that knew he needed to play and learn.When Billups was out he started and ran the team.If Bibby was out Law would have still played about 10 minutes with Childress running the point most of the time.Woody is just that dumb.Woody would prolly play Marvin at PG before he plays Acie 30 mins.

Acie will be the better PG in the long run but both look like good players

I didn't see Stuckey play at all in college but he put up big numbers. He also was very impressive at the combine. He timed very fast and was the 10th ranked athlete overall in the draft. But there were major question marks about whether he was a legit pg or not.

Stuckey is better than Law and will have a better career than Law-just to put it out there but I wouldnt say it was a bad pick by Knight because not too many people thought Stuckey would of been better..Law had a pretty good college career at Texas A&M..Pistons would of probably chose Law too if he were on board at the time. Passing up on Chris Paul and Deron Williams was alot worst because thats what we desperately needed at the time

Quote:

Stuckey is better than Law and will have a better career than Law
-just to put it out there but I wouldnt say it was a bad pick by Knight because not too many people thought Stuckey would of been better..Law had a pretty good college career at Texas A&M..Pistons would of probably chose Law too if he were on board at the time. Passing up on Chris Paul and Deron Williams was alot worst because thats what we desperately needed at the time

nope,Stuckey will be good but we made right pick and took the better player.

What evidence makes you say that? He hardly played this year. As of right now, Law seems much more likely to be a Speedy Claxton clone than a great player.

Give it some time before you ignorantly claim him to be a better player than anyone, aside from John Edwards who was a god-aweful player.

lol I just found out Stuckey played less than 10 minutes in only THREE games this year,he also played 19 minutes per game,getting alot more as the season went on WITHOUT lighting up the box score.That's how u develop a player.So when he needed to perform he was prepared.

Acie had 20 games with less than 10 minutes and that doesn't include the games he just didn't see the floor at all because Woody is an idiot and keep in mind the other 20 or so games he missed due to injury.So he played baby minutes with alot less games.Horrible coaching.please get Avery Johnson.

Stuckey played in 57 games

Acie played in 56 games

both had injuries

the real coach still played him no matter what even with all-stars in front of him

the dumb coach kept his guy chained to the benched even with worse guys in front of him

Quote:

What evidence makes you say that? He hardly played this year. As of right now, Law seems much more likely to be a Speedy Claxton clone than a great player.

Give it some time before you ignorantly claim him to be a better player than anyone, aside from John Edwards who was a god-aweful player.

I saw him play and saw what he's capable of in this league and that's without experience.He's nothing like speedy.Acie had fluke injuries and would miss like 10 games when u would think it was alot worse.Speedy would miss half the season or the enire season with other issues.Speddy has knee soreness.Acie had some 6'10 guy fall directly on his ankle because the douchebag wanted to try to block his layup after the whistle already blew.His wrist got hurt because of big azz slumlord.Those are fluke injuries,Speedy or should I say Craig (because there's nothing speedy about a cripple)is just injury prone.Craig missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury.

Fluke injuries? You do realize he has had multiple injuries to both of his wrists? He broke his right wrist, that is the reason why he shoots with his left hand even though he is a natural righty. Right there, that is a sign of being Claxtonesque.

When Speedy started out, people didn't call him injury-prone after his first injury in the NBA. It took a few injuries before people realized he was injury-prone. Acie is only a few injuries away from being injury-prone.

He is a long way away from being an average point guard, he has only played 865 minutes in the NBA. That is like 30 games at 30 minutes per. And in that limited amount of time, his per 36/40/48 are pathetic. You do realize he only has a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio? He shot 40% from the field and 20% from 3? Basically every single statistical metric has him ranked as well below average, we are a more productive team with him off the court than on...I could go on and on about what we have actually seen from him playing. Nothing has shown that he will even be average at this point in time. So why not put down the kool-aid and wait until he actually gives you some solid examples that he could be an average player before you go off praising him as a great player. The sample size is way too small and the small sample size points in the opposite direction you are heading.

Stuckey can flat out ball. There was little question of that when he entered the draft. The major knock on him was the level of competition he was going up against, with him playing at Eastern Washington. So of course, he got discriminated against a little. Before the draft last year, I said that Stuckey could very well be a top 7 player in the draft. But I also said that about Law as well.

And to be honest, with the way we played in the playoffs with JJ being the main ballhandler and facilitator in the halfcourt offense, Stuckey would've been a nice fit here. He would've been a guy who could've created his own shot and knock down open jumpers. He's also a solid defensive player.

And no, Stuckey didn't come into a better situation than Acie. Acie only had AJ and Lue in front of him. If it wasn't for AJ's temper tantrum during the preseason, in which he was seeing very little PT, which caused Woody to start AJ to start the season, Acie could've very well been the starting PG at the beginning of the year.

And I still believe that if it wasn't for his injury during the Charlotte game in November, Acie is the starter by mid-December. But AJ played great in December, and kept the job. Then he follows that up with a crap January.

From a PG standpoint, Acie probably will be better. But Stuckey's ability to create and score, might see him put up bigger numbers. But Acie has to really start acting like the "leader" PG that he was in college. He has to have the mindset that this is his team when he is in the game, and look to make something happen either scoring wise or passing wise.

My top 3 on draft day (if we went PG) at the #11 were 1. J-Crit, 2. Law, 3. Stuckey.... I liked Stuckey's game better (still do) but I didn't think he was a natural PG.

I think now the jury is still out on his position (he can definitely play the point), but to deny that he looks better than Acie is ridiculous. Acie's had some injury issues, but Stuckey missed as many games and plays behind the EC's best PG yet still got solid minutes and made the All-Rookie 2nd team. If we had the pick over most GMs would choose Stuckey over Law without hesitation, but I still think Law can be a solid PG for us...

Quote:

My top 3 on draft day (if we went PG) at the #11 were 1. J-Crit, 2. Law, 3. Stuckey.... I liked Stuckey's game better (still do) but I didn't think he was a natural PG.

I think now the jury is still out on his position (he
can
definitely play the point), but to deny that he looks better than Acie is ridiculous. Acie's had some injury issues, but Stuckey missed as many games and plays behind the EC's best PG
yet still got solid minutes
and made the All-Rookie 2nd team. If we had the pick over most GMs would choose Stuckey over Law without hesitation, but I still think Law can be a solid PG for us...

and that's what good coaches do and retards like Woodson don't.

and that's what good coaches do and retards like Woodson don't.

That's one of my biggest gripes with Woody,that and no offense. The ASG have to take this into consideration when they make a decision about our coach. There is no question in my mind that we could've been better this year . . . . but would'a, could'a, should'a . . . .

I think Stuckey came in to a much easier situation. He played with guys who have been together 5, 6 years now, who are proven vets who know what they want to do on the court and won't hesitate schooling a rookie to that. Outside of Joe, Law was on the court with guys who are still trying to find themselves and still learning to play together. And on top of that, Detroit's bench is stacked, while ours was one of the worst in the league. There's only so much a rookie can do with Zaza and Solo as his running mates. Law's wrist injury clearly affected his shooting and his confidence, and Woody's rotations didn't help. Still, I like what I saw from him in stretches during the regular season and definitely in the playoffs. I fully expect him to be our starting PG in '09-'10 (and maybe sooner) and a very solid if not spectacular starter at that.

look at the game logs for both players.look at the minutes and notice Stuckey didn't score alot of points or have alot of assists alot of the time.That's is expected from a rookie PG,especially one coming off the bench.but u notice no matter what Stuckey still had a decent amount of minutes every game he played.Look at Acie and you can notice a good game followed by 4 minutes and 5 miuntes the next two games.Woodson handled him the worst he possibly could.Woody handled him alot worse than Keith McCleod starting over Deron Williams half of his rookie year.

U telling me when your other PG's are Anthony Johnson and Tyronn Lue your most talented PG by far can't get 30 minutes in a game even when he's ON?Woodson was Acie's problem.Stuckey was in an offense,like most players,they atleast have a normal offense.Woody had no offense so what could Acie do especially with our sorry non scoring backups that Woody played?the few guys on the bench that could convert his passes into points were never played.no rookie PG is gonna do well consistently when the 4 other guys stand in one place the whole possession while watching the one guy with the ball.

I bet flip saunders wouldn't pull stuckey the minute he made one mistake yet let lindsey hunter play like an idiot for 30 minutes.

Woody tried multiple times to bench Horford for Zaza at the beginning of the season.

The bottom line is WOODY IS A HORRIBLE COACH THAT PUTS GUYS IN SITUATIONS NOT TO BE SUCCESSFUL.and both guards will be good in this league.