• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Does Boston Winning Make Us Look Better?

JackB1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it does..it shows that we could took down the champs in 7 games of the 1st round and perhaps be in their position now too..future is bright for the Hawks..too bad Kobe will win it this year lol Lakers will get one on the round and head back to LA where they will win both games there

• Premium Member

Quote:

Going into the conference finals the lakers were 4-1 (.800), the pistons were 3-2 (.600), the spurs were 2-3 (.400), and the celts were 0-6 (.000) despite facing the easiest competition by far. This is not rocket science

It's not Rocket science if you want to look at it in a stagnant fashion.

Basketball is about matchups.. not records. IF so, we should have called the Celts the winners after the reg season.

The Celts were 66-16 on the regular season. They only had 10 road losses. They swept the Lakers. Why are we playing if it's just about records?

Because it's about matchups.

We're a bad matchup for the Celts.. Especially when we play in our comfort zone. That's what the playoffs proved. The Celts are a bad matchup for the Pistons. For just as you have shown.. The Pistons had a better road record than both Atlanta and Cleveland. However, the Celtics beat the Pistons in 6 and won two games in Detroit... What gave?

Matchup.

Hey sherlock you're the one who brought up regular season record and I already told you the celts didn't take us seriously, and didn't show up on the road until they had an oppenent they feared. If it was about matchups they wouldn't have creamed us by over 25 points per game in boston.

The Cs should thank the Hawks for giving them a tough frist round opponent.

The Cs expected a cake walk and were taken to the limit on the road. IMO, that sort of toughened them up for the later rounds.

KG, should really thank us as this was what the 2nd or 3rd time he ever got past the first round. Zaza helped get him the mental toughness he needs to help lead the Cs to another championship.

So, yes, us taking the Cs to game 7 is a great accomplishment for the team and fans of the Hawks. What that gets turned into is up to Rick Sund now.

As for me I hope the Cs CRUSH the LA Lakers. I HATE every LA team with a PASSION. Only city I hate more is Philly.

Quote:

Quote:

Realistically, it doesn't matter much. Most of the league realizes that us pushing them to seven had more to do with them not showing up all that great on the road than it did with our excellence. Especially given how how badly we got whooped in boston.

I like when people say Realistically... and then they spout off some BS.

I don't think most of the league "realizes" that. Boston beat Cleveland and Detroit on the road. So it can't be said that they can't win on the road. They just couldn't win in Atlanta.

Now the truth may be that we're not a good road team and we didn't show up on the road.

If you look at the two season records, I think you will find that the BS that you start off with Realistically doesn't hold water because Boston was probably the 2nd best road team in the game this year compared to us who may have been the worst.

That is not BS. In fact, I think announcers on both TNT and ESPN practically said the exact same thing. Hell, even Paul Pierce admitted that they didn't really handle business until Detroit beat them at home. The fact that Cleveland did the exact same thing just goes to show that there is some truth in the assumption. I think we have a great young team, but Boston winning doesn't make us look better. Us winning would have made us look better. We walked into the playoffs as a team that wasn't even considered competition against the Celtics, and we proved the national assumption wrong. We proved that we are a young, competitive team with a chance to make some noise in years to come. Whether or not the Celtics win it all, that will not change.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Celtics would prolly still be without a road win if Detroit didn't beat them in their house.

???

So you're saying that Celts didn't have the ability to win in Detroit, they were forced to???

• Premium Member

Quote:

Hey sherlock you're the one who brought up regular season record and I already told you the celts didn't take us seriously, and didn't show up on the road until they had an oppenent they feared.
If it was about matchups they wouldn't have creamed us by over 25 points per game in boston.

If it wasn't about Matchups, we wouldn't have won a game.

Our playing style is a difficult one for Boston's defense to beat. We put everything in JJ's hand and when he's on, we go as JJ goes. JJ plays better when he has help.

Funny thing is that in Boston, JJ couldn't get any help because there was no level of comfort for our young players. Playing on the road effects young players the most..> For whatever reason.

Boston on the other hand is a vet team who has been there and done that. They are playoff saavy and they were one of the better road teams on the season. What made the difference was that they had to face a matchup that wasn't easy for them to beat. We're unorthodox. We're like that left handed kid... If you've never seen our type game before, it's hard to defend against it. Especially when it's working. For the same reason that we gave Boston a tough time, Cleveland gave Boston a tough time. Boston's defense is a defense set up to beat teams not one man. For the same reason we and Cleveland gave Boston a tough time, Boston walked through Detroit. Detroit was not situated to be a one man team. They have many players who can turn it on.. Bad matchup for Detroit, Boston has a team defense that's smootering when they don't have to double. When they double, their defense has holes that can be exploited.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Realistically, it doesn't matter much. Most of the league realizes that us pushing them to seven had more to do with them not showing up all that great on the road than it did with our excellence. Especially given how how badly we got whooped in boston.

I don't think most of the league "realizes" that. Boston beat Cleveland and Detroit on the road. So it can't be said that they can't win on the road. They just couldn't win in Atlanta.

Now the truth may be that we're not a good road team and we didn't show up on the road.

If you look at the two season records, I think you will find that the BS that you start off with Realistically doesn't hold water because Boston was probably the 2nd best road team in the game this year compared to us who may have been the worst.

That is not BS. In fact, I think announcers on both TNT and ESPN practically said the exact same thing. Hell, even Paul Pierce admitted that they didn't really handle business until Detroit beat them at home. The fact that Cleveland did the exact same thing just goes to show that there is some truth in the assumption. I think we have a great young team, but Boston winning doesn't make us look better. Us winning would have made us look better. We walked into the playoffs as a team that wasn't even considered competition against the Celtics, and we proved the national assumption wrong. We proved that we are a young, competitive team with a chance to make some noise in years to come. Whether or not the Celtics win it all, that will not change.

Let's make this simple...

Atlanta...

25-16 at home

12 -29 on the road.

Boston...

35-6 at home

31-10 on the road.

Which team is more apt to have a breakdown on the road... ATL or Boston??

Since we acquired Bibby we were 11-4 at home. With 2 of those losses being suspect because we had made the playoffs.

Boston didn't change going into the playoffs. They were the same team that went 31-10 on the road. There was nothing to cause them to stumble on the road. IT was BS.

However, we're a bad road team. Have been all year and even with Bibby. It's more likely that us being a bad team on the road and a good team at home contributed to our playoff woes (along with matchup) than Boston being a bad home team? What team waits until the playoffs to become a bad road team? That makes no sense.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's make this simple...

Atlanta...

25-16 at home

12 -29 on the road.

Boston...

35-6 at home

31-10 on the road.

Which team is more apt to have a breakdown on the road... ATL or Boston??

Since we acquired Bibby we were 11-4 at home. With 2 of those losses being suspect because we had made the playoffs.

Boston didn't change going into the playoffs. They were the same team that went 31-10 on the road. There was nothing to cause them to stumble on the road. IT was BS.

However, we're a bad road team. Have been all year and even with Bibby. It's more likely that us being a bad team on the road and a good team at home contributed to our playoff woes (along with matchup) than Boston being a bad home team? What team waits until the playoffs to become a bad road team? That makes no sense.

I don't know why you keep referring to the regular season, when everyone knows that playoff basketball is a whole different beast.

Everyone in the playoffs was bad on the road and good at home, that's why they call it homecourt advantage. The Celtics were content with coasting through the first couple rounds of the playoffs winning their games at home. However, their play on the road improved after losing at home to Detroit. Ray Allen was a non-factor in our series. I could go on and on. The bottom line is, from my observation, the Celtics played much better basketball on the road against Detroit. The Hawks' (and the Cavs') put up a noble home court effort, but why do you think the Hawks got blown out so badly on the road ? The Cavs didn't consistently get blown out like we did.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't know why you keep referring to the regular season, when everyone knows that playoff basketball is a whole different beast.

Everyone in the playoffs was bad on the road and good at home, that's why they call it homecourt advantage. The Celtics were content with coasting through the first couple rounds of the playoffs winning their games at home. However, their play on the road improved after losing at home to Detroit. Ray Allen was a non-factor in our series. I could go on and on. The bottom line is, from my observation, the Celtics played much better basketball on the road against Detroit. The Hawks' (and the Cavs') put up a noble home court effort, but why do you think the Hawks got blown out so badly on the road ? The Cavs didn't consistently get blown out like we did.

Is playoff basketball that much different than regular basketball season?

If so, why are the two best teams from the regular season in the championship game?

I think you get caught up in cliche and what you here than what is really the truth.

The truth is that all year long Boston has been a good home team and a good road team.

All year long the Hawks have been a good Home team and a poor road team.

We played Boston. We beat them at home, we lost on the road. IT follows the same pattern.

The main difference in playoff basketball and regular season basketball is the fact that a team gets more rest and a team gets to focus on it's opponent more. However, no team is changing their strengths and weaknesses in the playoffs!! It's not an altogether different beast. It just allows more time for both teams to play to their strengths.

Diesel, just about everybody on the board knows that you are right about how basketball, especially in the NBA, is mainly about matchups. It's the same reason why Phoenix can never beat San Antonio.

And you're right about young players in the playoffs too. You can find exceptions to the rule. But for the most part, young players that have never experienced playoff basketball, will almost always struggle on the road.

At home, Rajon Rondo plays like a solid veteran PG that has been in many playoff battles. On the road, he looks like a deer in headlights most of the time.

And when he looks like that, Boston loses.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The Celtics were content with coasting through the first couple rounds of the playoffs winning their games at home. However, their play on the road improved after losing at home to Detroit.

This is about the biggest POT Of BS that has probably ever been written on this messageboard.

The Celtics were not content going 7 games against Atlanta.

Did you see the Looks on their faces when the series was knotted up 2-2? How about right after game 6?? That was not a look of content. That was concern. The Celtics had the pressure of the basketball world on them because they were supposed to beat us in 4. Don't you think that they felt like they could be the next GS?

Wow!! I can't believe you came up with that BS.

Then you said that they came out of their stupor after losing a home game to Detroit?

More BS!!!

They won in Detroit after losing to Detroit, but they were in no stupor. Ask KG if they were taking any away games off in these playoffs and I will love to get the youtube footage of him whipping your ass.

• Premium Member

Quote:

At home, Rajon Rondo plays like a solid veteran PG that has been in many playoff battles. On the road, he looks like a deer in headlights most of the time.

And when he looks like that, Boston loses.

I think there's more of an association of Boston losing with who they play away.

We're a hard team to beat at home (with Bibby).

Cleveland is a hard team to beat at home (27-14 at home).

The reason I doubt the Rondo factor...

Game 3 in Atlanta: Rondo 10 points, 4 assists

Game 4 in Atlanta: Rondo 14 points, 13 assists.

Game 6 in Atlanta: Rondo 8 points, 5 assists

Game 4 in Cleveland: Rondo = 15 points. 4 assist 50% shooting.

Plus, Cassell is on the bench.

However, when you look at our guys away from Home it's like WTF... None of them sniffed their averages...

It's not that they failed.. It's that our young guys couldn't produce away from home.

Quote:

Quote:

The Celtics were content with coasting through the first couple rounds of the playoffs winning their games at home. However, their play on the road improved after losing at home to Detroit.

This is about the biggest POT Of BS that has probably ever been written on this messageboard.

The Celtics were not content going 7 games against Atlanta.

Did you see the Looks on their faces when the series was knotted up 2-2? How about right after game 6?? That was not a look of content. That was concern. The Celtics had the pressure of the basketball world on them because they were supposed to beat us in 4. Don't you think that they felt like they could be the next GS?

Wow!! I can't believe you came up with that BS.

Then you said that they came out of their stupor after losing a home game to Detroit?

More BS!!!

They won in Detroit after losing to Detroit, but they were in no stupor. Ask KG if they were taking any away games off in these playoffs and I will love to get the youtube footage of him whipping your ass.

Totally agree. People can use that "they didn't take us seriously" excuse for Game 3 ONLY. But after we pretty much led them wire to wire in Game 3, we definitely had their attention in Game 4.

Matter of fact, i think Boston had a double digit lead in the 2nd half of Game 4, before the Hawks defense and JJ's offense shut them down in the 4th qtr. After that game Boston DEFINITELY TOOK US SERIOUS!!

Whenever you see them employ the "Jordan Rules" on JJ starting in Game 5, you know they are taking us serious.

And no way did they want the series to go 7 games, when just about everybody else in the playoffs had their series wrapped up by the 6th game.

I don't know why people want to diminish those 3 games we won at home as something that everyone expected to happen.

Then again . . . i know exactly why.