• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Woodson article on the AJC

khaos7

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/20/08

The first-round playoff series between the Hawks and the Celtics was a turning point for both teams.

The Hawks shook off the funk of a nine-year playoff drought by pushing the series to seven games, winning three dramatic home games. They energized their fan base and served notice that their doormat years might be over.

Getty Images

(ENLARGE)

Mike Woodson says the acquisition of Mike Bibby played a great deal in their late success, but the Hawks coach says Bibby 'still doesn't know my system like I want him to know it.'

Your Turn

Will the Hawks return to the playoffs next season?

Yes

No

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

Photos: Woodson's career with Hawks

RELATED STORIES

Woodson talks in-depth about Hawks' future

Ex-Hawk Newble speaks out about Darfur conflict

Hawks' Horford not too big to be a student

More Hawks coverage

The Celtics pushed on to win the NBA title, No. 17 for a franchise neck-deep in championship banners. They completed a one-year turnaround from the worst team in the Eastern Conference to the best team in basketball.

It's a link that was on Hawks coach Mike Woodson's mind this week when he spoke with AJC Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith about the team's past, present and future:

Q. In a league notorious for copycat tactics, what will the rest of the league take away from what Boston did this past season and particularly the playoffs?

Their team is unique in that, and you can really go back to the Detroit team we had [in 2004], the foundation was defense and rebounding. In addition, you just didn't know where it was coming from on a given night. We just had different weapons on that Detroit team. And when they all were clicking we were incredibly hard to beat. Even when they struggled to score points they didn't get blown out and that's a product of a foundation built on defense and rebounding. What was also a given is that they had three guys that could get you in Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. You go in trying to figure out how you were going to stop those three guys. The Lakers caught all three of them playing well. We caught Paul and Garnett playing well and Ray struggled. In the end, I think people will look at the Celtics and realize that you can have three key guys and a nice supporting cast and build your foundation on defense and rebounding and you have a shot at winning it all.

Q. What then becomes priority No. 1 for the Hawks in pursuit of that goal?

The first priority has to be [Hawks general manager Rick Sund] getting Josh Smith and Josh Childress back in Hawks uniforms. I don't even think you can think about anything else until you resolve that matter. From there we have to figure out our ninth, 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th guys and who they are. Teams will pattern themselves after Boston in that regard. I think back to last summer this time when [Celtics coach] Doc [Rivers] and I talked about how his team needed to make a big move and not draft another younger player to take that next step. And they did exactly what he was talking about, and probably a whole lot more. I don't think it's to our benefit to add another young guy. We need some veterans to add along with our eight core guys. We're still young enough in certain spots, with guys three and four years into the system, that our core group will continue to get better next year and beyond. What we have to do is build around them, give them an opportunity to shine by putting veteran guys around them that know what it takes to win in our league.

Q. More specifically as a coaching staff, what will you tweak and revamp in order to make sure you're growing along with your talent next season?

Having Mike Bibby go through veteran camp will be huge for our team. Bibby still doesn't know my system like I want him to know it. When we acquired him at the trade deadline I turned the ball over to him and he ran it the best he could, and he did a [heck] of a job with it. But going to veteran camp and learning what we're about is huge for him. I think as a coaching staff to go back to our offensive system and tweak some things is extremely important. And defensively we have to go back to how we played in those home games during the Boston series. And I know the playoffs is different, but being defensive minded from the first day of camp all the way through is what carried them. We've tried to build that in our players and they've gotten better. I'd like to think after a playoff round they know how they have to intensify their defensive approach to be successful. Although we made shots in the playoffs, it was our defense and rebounding that really held us together to win those playoff games.

Q. Guys who had sporadic roles or production during the regular season seemed to come to life in the playoff for you. Zaza Pachulia and Marvin Williams both played crucial roles in the playoffs, as did rookie point guard Acie Law IV, albeit in limited action. How do you build on what they did in the postseason going forward?

All those guys, along with everybody, your game has to go to another level. Everybody across the board has to take their game to the next level. This is a very pivotal summer for Acie Law as far as getting him back going, and that starts really in summer league. Zaza coming back with a better mental frame of mind to accept his role and play is just as crucial. And Marvin building on his last two years and maybe taking that next big leap in terms of getting where Joe [Johnson] and Josh Smith and Bibby are in terms of being a consistent scorer has to take place. Marvin has to step into that role where he can be that third guy or even that second guy some nights that we rely on night in and night out.

Q. The one player everybody seems to be wondering about is Speedy Claxton. Where does he fit with this team right now and beyond?

I don't really know where his future is. We're still handling him from a rehab standpoint and we'll get a chance to sit down with him in the next couple of weeks and map out his position in terms of where he's going with our basketball team. I know he still wants to play. Our job is to make sure he's getting proper treatment and make sure he's ready to go. But only time will tell.

Q. You've lost David Fizdale from your staff to Miami. Is there going to be continuity to allow some of this growth and development you're talking about or will a new set of faces cause some upheaval there?

We'll be fine. We'll continue to teach and make sure guys know and understand what needs to be done. We'll interview some guys in Fiz's absence since he's gone to Miami. I have enough veteran coaches around me. We'll add another coach in Fizdale's position. I feel comfortable, though, with the fine coaches we have coming back.

Q. With so much pressure on everyone last season to get to the playoffs in the fourth year, is there any sense of relief now with a new two-year contract that you can go about the business of developing some new chemistry, between players and between players and coaches, for the future?

Everybody is excited being back. We've gone through the tough times. When you start from the bottom trying to build a team its just not easy. I never experienced anything like what we went through. But in tough times you grow as a team. Last year going into veteran camp guys came back early and we built chemistry and carried that over into preseason and the start of the regular season. We felt that early on and then stumbled in January and February. I think the taste of the playoffs makes guys want to get back to camp sooner. I think the awful times are behind us. Expectations are always high when you're trying to win basketball games. That's just the reality of our sport. But if you don't want the expectations to be high you just shouldn't be a part of our sport. Blame it on whatever you want in the past, it's just a hard road to travel to get to this point from where we started. I've watched NBA teams go from zero to where we are today and I can't help but think we're going to continue to grow. I promise you I'm going to continue to demand and push our guys to play at a high level every night.

I'd like to hear Woody saying that they are looking to bring in more assistants, but it doesn't sound like that is much of an area of concern, which is troubling to me.

I love that they expect more from the players next year but I hope that they also expect more from themselves as well. Woody is a young coach and he must take that next step just as his players need to.

It's also good to hear him acknowledge that it's time for Marvin to take that next step. I hope Marvin realizes it because this is the year that could really set him up well for the future if he breaks out like Smoove did in year 4.

Quote:

I'd like to hear Woody saying that they are looking to bring in more assistants, but it doesn't sound like that is much of an area of concern, which is troubling to me.

I love that they expect more from the players next year but I hope that they also expect more from themselves as well. Woody is a young coach and he must take that next step just as his players need to.

It's also good to hear him acknowledge that it's time for Marvin to take that next step. I hope Marvin realizes it because this is the year that could really set him up well for the future if he breaks out like Smoove did in year 4.

I agree. I've heard lots of positive things about Fizdale's influence on the team. That said, whoever replaces him needs to bring and equal or better type vibe to the team. I also agree that the coaches need to push themselves to get better. Woody needs to do a lot of self evaluation.

Quote:

Marvin needs to work on that 3 pt shot.

People talk about how tentative Marvin is which i find somewhat ironic given that Marvin basically looks to drive whenever he has the chance. He will take the open jumper when it is there but if a guy is closing out on him Marvin is looking to get past him.

If he can shoot 3s not only will that help in and of itself but it will also give him more opportunities to drive as guys close out on him. Closing out on shooters is tougher when they are behind the line.

I share your concerns about Woody downplaying the loss of Fiz. It may be just that Woody doens't want to tip his hand on something, or he really isn't concerned. Hard to tell.

It sounds like Woodson is determined to reinvent the Pistons down here. I just don't see that the Hawks have the personnel to be like the Pistons. If we want to be the Pistons we need a different point than Bibby. Bibby is an offense only point. While that can be good in an up-tempo, freeflowing game, he is a detrement in the half-court game that Woodson wants to force feed into the Hawks. This is exactly why I didn't want Woodson back. If we keep the "core" intact, he is just using it wrong. That said, the summer isn't over and Sund can make a lot of moves to transform the roster to look more like what Woodson would like. But, trades contradict Woodson's stated desire to keep the core intact.

Argh.

I did like hearing that Woodson is going to demand that Marvin get it going on offense and be that second option the Hawks desperately need.

It seems like we've been hearing this thing about Marvin taking this so-called next step for the last few years. I'm not Marvin bashing as I wish he will have a break out year, but I don't see the competitive drive from Marvin that I do from say Smooth or Childress. We'll see.

Overall, I thought it was a very good interview. I've been against Woody for the most part, but the more I hear him talk the more he is swaying me to his side. You hear most coahces say that it takes a while to rebuild, but ownership very rarly lets the team complete the rebuild before they fire the coach. This is one of those rare occurences were we can see constant evolution of a team. We've all seen the players improve, some more than others, but I have also seen Woody improve as well.

I am tired of Woody trying to emulate the Pistons, our personnel is more suited for the Suns. Let them run helter skelter. I could care less if they are all over the court, Smoove, Al, Chillz and JJ were made for the fast break. Thats how we beat the crap out of the Celtics at home. Let them rip Woody!

That D'Antoni style won't get it done in the NBA either. We need to implement the system the Kings ran under Adelman. Run when you can, go for early offense, but be able to work the ball around for good shots. Adelman ran something similar to what the Celtics used to run during the Bird years. Get up and down the court, take good shots, if not there, slow down and get one.

The Hawks, esp with Bibby running the floor, should look for early offense. Young guys actually, IMO, should do better with early offense as it doesn't let them think- they can just react and take the ball to the hole when open.

We'll see what the Hawks do next season, but it appears they'll go back to the slow it to a crawl offense that the Pistons ran under Brown.

banghead.gif

I really like that system that those Kings teams ran, but you have to have the right personnel to do it. In order to run that high post offense Adelman had going you need a skilled power forward that can shoot consistently from medium range (in order to make the defense defend the elbow) as well as make great decisions about whether to drive or dump down to the low post man. Those don't come around too often.

You also need perimeter shooting to keep the floor spread. Joe would basically be reduced to a spot-shooter to make this scheme work for us, and I think we'd agree that is not in the best interest of the Hawks.

Webber was the perfect player for that system, and Bibby's skill set was perfect for his role in that offense as well. Smooth and/or Horford may one day be able to be the fulcrum of that offense, but neither one is ready for that role right now.

on most nights if we rebound and defend like Woody wants us to. If we rebound and defend, we can run and that is when this team is at it's best.

I think it is clear that Woody's philosophy is that you are not going to shoot it well every night but if you rebound and defend, you will have a chance to win even when you shoot it poorly. The question is whether or not Woody can get the guys to CONSISTENTLY rebound and defend like he wants them to. If he can do that, I think this team will be much improved.

As for Bibby at the point, I don't think he will ever be even an average defender even when healthy. Therefore, I hope that Acie can develop enough that he can take on the role of slowing down the opposing team's PG in certain situations. I'd like to see the PG minutes split at about 26-28 for Bibby and 20-22 for Acie next year. Hopefully, that would keep Bibby fresh and allow Acie enough PT to develop his game.

From an offensive philosophy standpoint, I agree with those who say run when you can, look for offense early in the shot clock and work for a good shot if options one and two are taken away. I do NOT think we have the personnel to play like the Suns and Warriors and I don't think the way they play is going to lead to a championship anyway.

Finally, I like and agree with what Woody said about Marvin. Sounds like he is going to tell Marvin to look for his offense more and I think that is a good thing for the young fella's confidence. What more could Marv ask for going into a contract year? The stars appear to be lining up really well for him I think this is going to be his break out year.

Quote:

I really like that system that those Kings teams ran, but you have to have the right personnel to do it. In order to run that high post offense Adelman had going you need a skilled power forward that can shoot consistently from medium range (in order to make the defense defend the elbow) as well as make great decisions about whether to drive or dump down to the low post man. Those don't come around too often.

You also need perimeter shooting to keep the floor spread. Joe would basically be reduced to a spot-shooter to make this scheme work for us, and I think we'd agree that is not in the best interest of the Hawks.

Webber was the perfect player for that system, and Bibby's skill set was perfect for his role in that offense as well. Smooth and/or Horford may one day be able to be the fulcrum of that offense, but neither one is ready for that role right now.

Hi all, new member here. Wish I knew about this forum throughout last season! Big hawks fan, probably went to about 15 games this year.

Anyway, I agree with the post above. I use to love those kings teams, and I almost cried with joy when I heard Bibby was traded here, but I don't know if our personnel fits that system completely. We could maybe borrow some elements from that offense, especially since Bibby knows it well. Maybe Horford could run the high post a little, I dunno.

I also agree that we shouldn't be trying to emulate that Pistons team completely either. You have to adapt to your personnel a little.

To a point you are right, Adelman developed an offense that accessed the strengths of his team. He has adjusted his offense in Houston to take advantage of what they do, but still keeping the team moving and taking early offense when its available.

The point is that Adelman knows his players offensive strengths and adjusts what he has them run to maximize that. In otherwords he is not so intransigent as to fit a square peg into a round hole. Woodson insisting that the current team play offense like the Pistons just seems crazy to me. I am all for having a style, but you still have to coach with what you got.

The other point I was trying to make is that there are other running systems that don't require the offense to put up a shot in the first 7 seconds of the shot clock (or whatever it was that D'Antoni preaches). Adelman and the Celtics and Showtime all show what you can do with early offense. It keeps teams moving and makes them keep up with you. The Hawks could easily do that, but Woodson seems to panic when the pace gets too high.

There is a good argument that the Hawks got themselves out of control when they started playing too fast, but I think that can be brought under control by practicing at a higher pace and learning what a good early offense looks like.

In other words: The Hawks should look for early offense (e.g. within the first 14 seconds of the shot clock), but be prepaired to have a half-court play in hand if nothing presents itself.

Welcome aboard!

I think that when Woody mentions the Pistons (and Celtics) he wants us to rebound and defend like them and if we do that then that's when our differences will come out as we are much more athletic and able to run the floor and we could be very exciting .... BUT it all comes down to us defending, rebounding, and protecting the ball first.

Quote:

Welcome aboard!

I think that when Woody mentions the Pistons (and Celtics) he wants us to rebound and defend like them and if we do that then that's when our differences will come out as we are much more athletic and able to run the floor and we could be very exciting .... BUT it all comes down to us defending, rebounding, and protecting the ball first.

He could also mean the way their offense had many different options that could come out and score 20 points on any given night.

• Premium Member

I like what Woodson is saying about defense and rebounding. I have ALWAYS liked that about him. I love a good offense as much as the next person, but the games are won when you can stop the other team from scoring...or at least control them at key points in the game. Honestly, I thought we did a good job of that occasionally. We just weren't consistent enough with it.

On the other hand, I am not encouraged by what I've heard him say about our offense. Woodson acts like if this team defends and rebounds, then the offense will just happen. Well...what happens with the opposition gets back on defense?

Then what?

We need a plan other than a two man game with JJ and Bibby. We need inside scoring (Horford). We need Marvin to move outside of 15'. We need Smoove playing under control and WITHIN his limits. We need to push the ball. We need to get guys involved in the offense and have a plan for them other than, "defend, rebound the ball, and see what you come up with on the other end."

I am not interested in lip service. Woodson has to show me something that I haven't seen since he's been here.

• Moderators

Quote:

People talk about how tentative Marvin is which i find somewhat ironic given that Marvin basically looks to drive whenever he has the chance. He will take the open jumper when it is there but if a guy is closing out on him Marvin is looking to get past him.

I think that tentativeness shows up more when he doesn't have the ball in his hands. He is very comfortable just drifting in a game rather than aggressively moving around off the ball to ensure he is actively a part of the offense. Even in games where he starts off very hot, he frequently ends up simply picking and spot and waiting around for the ball. That could be a function of Woodson's offense but that isn't something you see with a player like Josh Smith (for both good and ill).

• Moderators

Quote:

I like what Woodson is saying about defense and rebounding. I have ALWAYS liked that about him. I love a good offense as much as the next person, but the games are won when you can stop the other team from scoring...or at least control them at key points in the game. Honestly, I thought we did a good job of that
occasionally
. We just weren't consistent enough with it.

On the other hand, I am not encouraged by what I've heard him say about our offense. Woodson acts like if this team defends and rebounds, then the offense will just happen. Well...what happens with the opposition gets back on defense?

Then what?

We need a plan other than a two man game with JJ and Bibby. We need inside scoring (Horford). We need Marvin to move outside of 15'. We need Smoove playing under control and WITHIN his limits. We need to push the ball. We need to get guys involved in the offense and have a plan for them other than, "
defend, rebound the ball, and see what you come up with on the other end
."

I am not interested in lip service. Woodson has to show me something that I haven't seen since he's been here.

I agree with this 100%. Nicely put. We need to move past the "offense will take care of itself" stage in this team's identity. Rebounding and defense is essential but so is an organized offense.