• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JS isn't worth more than 10mil per

RMJ

The Hawks will never win anything over paying role players like JS. If they were smart they'd trade him and Bibby to Detroit for Tayshaun, Billups, and Maxiel. That trade would make the hawks a much better team than the current team.

Quote:

The Hawks will never win anything over paying role players like JS. If they were smart they'd trade him and Bibby to Detroit for Tayshaun, Billups, and Maxiel. That trade would make the hawks a much better team than the current team.

Smith is a BYC player meaning we can only take back half his salary in a trade.

Bibby = $15 mill

Smoove = $12 mill (only 1/2 can be taken back in trade) = $6 mill

$15 + 6 = $21 mill in salary to get back in a trade

Billups

Prince

Maxielle

Just Billups and Prince make over $27 mill alone.

Quote:

Quote:

Billips is overpaid and getting close to the downside of his career.

And Bibby isn't?

Bibby has 1 year at 13 mill left on his deal. Billups has 4 years at 50 mill left on his deal. Catch my drift?

Bibby = $15 mill

Billups

Prince

Maxielle

Billips is listed on hoopshype at 11 mill this year. Prince is 8 mill and Maxiel just over 1 mill. That adds up to around 20 mill. Take Bibby at 13 and Smoove at 6 or 6.5 if he gets a 12 or 13 mill deal and this trade will work cap wise. I tried Bibby, Law and ZaZA ( BECAUSE zAZa and Laws deals together will = about half of Smooves deal ) on trade checker for Maxiel, Billips and Prince and it worked.

Quote:

I, personally, am not up for handicapping this team by paying Billups big money for 4 years when he's on the downside of his career.

I am not either. Im just saying his trade works cap wise.

• Moderators

Quote:

Bibby = $15 mill

Billups

Prince

Maxielle

Billips is listed on hoopshype at 11 mill this year. Prince is 8 mill and Maxiel just over 1 mill. That adds up to around 20 mill. Take Bibby at 13 and Smoove at 6 or 6.5 if he gets a 12 or 13 mill deal and this trade will work cap wise. I tried Bibby, Law and ZaZA ( BECAUSE zAZa and Laws deals together will = about half of Smooves deal ) on trade checker for Maxiel, Billips and Prince and it worked.

20 million and 13M + 12 or 13M does not fit the cap from Detroit's perspective. 20 M for 25M

Quote:

This post is a perfect example of someone who is not a long term Hawks fan and has zero understanding of all facets of the NBA game (fan interest, momentum, defense etc.)

Thank you.

Josh Smith may not right now be worth 11+ million, but given his potential, given the fact that this team just finally made the playoffs for the first time this century, given that keeping the core of this team together could mean the most promising young roster in the entire Eastern Conference, it would be absolutely ridiculous to let Josh Smith go just because his value as of right now may technically not be that high.

Quote:

This post is a perfect example of someone who is not a long term Hawks fan and has zero understanding of all facets of the NBA game (fan interest, momentum, defense etc.)

I saw my first Hawks game when they were still in Alexander Memorial Coliseum, around 1969 or 1970. Does that qualify me as a long term fan?

The whole salary cap crap we have today is because teams followed your logic and decided to overpay people. Hence the Hawks wasted good money on Jon Koncak. Maybe Smith at some point will be worth $11 million a year, but as for right now I'd say about $8.5 million ought to cover it.

He is maddeningly inconsistent. He had two great playoff games, 3 mediocre games (being generous) and two outright stinkers. Yet everyone wants to give him a max contract or near max contract. I don't see it. You say he's only 22. You say he's freakishly athletic. Some say moreso than a young Dominique Wilkins. Maybe so, but by the time he had three years in the league, Nique had developed a consistent outside shot. He was Mr. Clutch. He won games despite having less talented teammates. Clutch would not be a word anyone would use to describe Josh Smith.

The statements about his athleticism are true, but I am reluctant to mortgage our future on Mr. inconsistent just because some other team wants to overpay him. I care about winning, not watching dunk contests. Blocked shots are great, and enjoy watching them, but blocks alone aren't good defense.

He has a career shooting percentage of less than 45%. If he learned to play within his limitations, maybe he would be worth $11 million a year, but there are no guarantees and he has given no indications that he ever will learn to play within his limitations. I suspect we'll match, but it just sets the table to overpay more and more mediocre players.

But what do I know? I'm not a real Hawks fan by your definition.

Quote:

Quote:

Bibby = $15 mill

Billups

Prince

Maxielle

20 million and 13M + 12 or 13M does not fit the cap from Detroit's perspective. 20 M for 25M

Bibby makes 13 mill, If Smoove signs a 12 or 13 mill a year deal only half his salary counts in the trade cap wise because he is a byc player. So 13 plus 6 = 19mill. I dont understand why only half of what he signs for counts in a trade but that is what all the experts are saying.

Quote:

Quote:

I saw my first Hawks game when they were still in Alexander Memorial Coliseum, around 1969 or 1970. Does that qualify me as a long term fan?

The whole salary cap crap we have today is because teams followed your logic and decided to overpay people. Hence the Hawks wasted good money on Jon Koncak. Maybe Smith at some point will be worth $11 million a year, but as for right now I'd say about $8.5 million ought to cover it.

He is maddeningly inconsistent. He had two great playoff games, 3 mediocre games (being generous) and two outright stinkers. Yet everyone wants to give him a max contract or near max contract. I don't see it. You say he's only 22. You say he's freakishly athletic. Some say moreso than a young Dominique Wilkins. Maybe so, but by the time he had three years in the league, Nique had developed a consistent outside shot. He was Mr. Clutch. He won games despite having less talented teammates. Clutch would not be a word anyone would use to describe Josh Smith.

The statements about his athleticism are true, but I am reluctant to mortgage our future on Mr. inconsistent just because some other team wants to overpay him. I care about winning, not watching dunk contests. Blocked shots are great, and enjoy watching them, but blocks alone aren't good defense.

He has a career shooting percentage of less than 45%. If he learned to play within his limitations, maybe he would be worth $11 million a year, but there are no guarantees and he has given no indications that he ever will learn to play within his limitations. I suspect we'll match, but it just sets the table to overpay more and more mediocre players.

Are you crazy..People like you are never satisfied. You sound like you work for the Falcons organization. Because things like this are exactly why they suck to this day. Smith is not the player we need to get rid of, because he is actually helping this team. Now Marvin is who we should deal away.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Babcock?

Is that you??

Don't you mean, "Hotlanta1981, is that you?" But seriously, everyone here is suffering from some serious cabin fever. We're so use to discussing the draft and either trading up or down that we don't know what to do when we don't have that option. I've even seen posts about us trading INTO the draft, as if a rookie would/could help this team. There have been sooo many trade scenarios out there using the "imaginary" 11 million dollar mark as a a reference point that it's getting a bit redundant. The truth is, we know next to nothing about what's going on right now.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you crazy..People like you are never satisfied. You sound like you work for the Falcons organization. Because things like this are exactly why they suck to this day. Smith is not the player we need to get rid of, because he is actually helping this team. Now Marvin is who we should deal away.

You were satisfied with last year? Low expectations, huh?

Wanting to win causes organizations to suck? Huh...who knew? I'm afraid I can't follow your Falcons analogy, either. I assume somehow you are comparing Smith to Vick? As for me, I wanted to keep Vick and dump Mora. However, that's all moot since Mike's in prison. By the way, could you explain how valuing wins over showmanship causes teams to suck?

I certainly never said to get rid of Smith in order to retain Marvin. I am not opposed to keeping Smith, we just don't need to tie up our salary cap by OVERPAYING him. I am certainly opposed to overpaying Marvin when his time comes. If we can trade him and get better, by all means, let's do it.

Quote:

It's silly to claim that JS isn't 'worth' 10 million per. He's worth whatever the market decides he's worth, and it's looking like the market is setting his price tag at 10M+. So that's what he's 'worth'. You or anyone else may disagree with that amount and think it's too much, but that's an opinion that's entirely subjective. The market sets his price, ergo- that is his worth.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bibby = $15 mill

Billups

Prince

Maxielle

Bibby makes 13 mill, If Smoove signs a 12 or 13 mill a year deal only half his salary counts in the trade cap wise because he is a byc player. So 13 plus 6 = 19mill. I dont understand why only half of what he signs for counts in a trade but that is what all the experts are saying.

Detroit takes back the whole salary - 12 or 13 million. From our side, however, we can only take back half the salary. So if we sign and trade Smoove to a $13 million dollar deal then we have to trade him to a team that can absorb a 13 million salary while only sending out 6.5 million in return. The only teams that can really pull that off are teams under the cap because you don't have to match the incoming and outgoing salaries for a team that is under the cap. This is why it is so difficult to trade a base year compensation player. If Detroit is going to make this trade, then they have to take back salaries within 10% of what they are sending out and they have to absorb the full amount of Smoove's contract. One way to do this would be to involve a third team like Memphis that is under the cap and could absorb some of the salary but it will be nearly impossible to do in a Atlanta/Detroit only deal.

Quote:

It's silly to claim that JS isn't 'worth' 10 million per. He's worth whatever the market decides he's worth, and it's looking like the market is setting his price tag at 10M+. So that's what he's 'worth'. You or anyone else may disagree with that amount and think it's too much, but that's an opinion that's entirely subjective. The market sets his price, ergo- that is his worth.

This should be mandatory reading for any poster that wants to further comment on Josh Smith's "worth."