• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Check this out. Philly wants Josh BAAAD

ToeKnee

"Detroit is doing it with a different style than us, because our style is to be athletic and push the ball. I know (coach) Mo Cheeks wants me to get him a shooter because he asked me the other day if I could get him one or two. I want to, but we're really looking for people who are athletic and long and defensive-minded. That's our first priority."

For that reason, Atlanta's top free agent, Josh Smith, has been linked to Philly. But he's a restricted free agent and the Hawks can't afford to lose a local product and key part of their team from a credibility standpoint after they gave the Celtics a tougher playoff series than the Lakers. If Philly signs Smith to an offer sheet, Atlanta is determined to keep him.

"I don't want to say we're confident, but I will say that we're optimistic that we'll re-sign Josh, and also Josh Childress, and that we want to continue to make progress and take the next step with this team," said Atlanta GM Rick Sund. "Josh Smith is an important part of our team, just as Josh Childress is."

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES YOU IDIOTS!!! HAHA seriously though, it's taken so long for us to get here, and we can't lose Josh. I don't want to lose either, but Childress seems the more replacable of the two, Josh will be an ALLSTAR maybe this year! Its Gotsta be done son!!!

I think....logically....that Philly knows that a 11-13 million offer will be matched. Can they afford $20Mil? Heck - J.O. makes $22 a year so this isn't newly plowed ground. detective.gif

P.S. - this is gonna be "hardball"...none of that crap that BK did to get JJ. De Mon Ay.

Josh Smith will be making $20 miiion next year....somewhere.

Quote:

Everybody knows that the ATLHawks/ASG is ripe for the pluckin....and JS is the prime target.

Agreed, and Philly will call their bluff knowing the cards they are holding are marginal. Bottam line is that it's going to hurt ASG to keep him.

And then there is the issue of how Smoove plays after getting a huge contract. I think that is an issue because he is already so up and down. Don't know what the money will do to his head???????????????????

I want to know if they still got the big investor partner line up? Remember a year or two ago someone on here heard a radio interview and talked about ASG has a big investor line up already. They were just waiting for the court issue to work itself out. With the court issue likely to be over last I heard around Feb. ASG should be alright in terms of money assuming any of this stuff is true.

• Premium Member

I think I might be giving the A/S too much credit here, but it makes sense to say that $55M is the most you'll spend when you know that the market is closer to $65M.

If you're really intending to match, that is.

Quote:

"I don't want to say we're confident, but I will say that we're optimistic that we'll re-sign Josh,
and also Josh Childress, and that we want to continue to make progress and take the next step with this team," said Atlanta GM Rick Sund. "Josh Smith is an important part of our team, just as Josh Childress is."

Wow, did Rick Sund really say that? If so, I'd like to see the link. WTF this really doesn't sound good.

Quote:

Quote:

"I don't want to say we're confident, but I will say that we're optimistic that we'll re-sign Josh,
and also Josh Childress, and that we want to continue to make progress and take the next step with this team," said Atlanta GM Rick Sund. "Josh Smith is an important part of our team, just as Josh Childress is."

Wow, did Rick Sund really say that? If so, I'd like to see the link. WTF this really doesn't sound good.

We better not let Josh Smith go without being compensated appropriately.

Quote:

I want to know if they still got the big investor partner line up? Remember a year or two ago someone on here heard a radio interview and talked about ASG has a big investor line up already. They were just waiting for the court issue to work itself out. With the court issue likely to be over last I heard around Feb. ASG should be alright in terms of money assuming any of this stuff is true.

I don't think they can bring anyone else into that mess of an ownership group until the Belkin case is settled. Once one or the other party owns the teams, then more investors can be brought in to fortify what is described as a cash-poor ownership situation (relative to other teams). This is why the ownership issue is such a problem for both the Hawks and Thrashers. There just isn't enough capital to invest heavily in both teams. You can see what the ASG is doing. They are shuffling chairs on the Titantic. When one club is doing well the move money to it, but the other club losses assests. The choice of keeping Woodson and hiring Anderson to coach the Thrashers are also bargin basement moves to help with overhead. Add in firing Bernie and not hiring a hockey coach for all of last season and you can see that the ASG has serious cash problems.

Quote:

"Detroit is doing it with a different style than us, because our style is to be athletic and push the ball. I know (coach) Mo Cheeks wants me to get him a shooter because he asked me the other day if I could get him one or two. I want to, but we're really looking for people who are
athletic and long and defensive-minded.
That's our first priority."

Josh Smith is "defensive minded"? Sure, he's a great shot blocker, but other than that, he's pretty soft defensively. Smoove is OFFENSIVE minded...not the other way around.

Quote:

And I don't guess they can sell the Thrashers to have more capital until this mess is straigntened out?

Is there a buyer?

I'd like to see how much the Hawks made this season, we had a 9% spike in regular season attendance after going through a pretty steady annual 3% increase in the BK era, plus we had playoff revenue. From what I've heard, the ASG isn't super-leveraged even with the court case going on and I'm pretty sure that the team has been making money (before legal expenses) which contrasts with teams like Indy...

I would think that they would be able to come up with the cash if they wanted to. I'm sure the attendence boost is sustainable if they can keep from regressing, and I'm sure attendence will recede if we do regress.

Quote:

I think I might be giving the A/S too much credit here, but it makes sense to say that $55M is the most you'll spend when you know that the market is closer to $65M.

If you're really intending to match, that is.

65 is a good max number. Tayshaun Prince's extension in 05 was for 5 years and 47mill. I think Josh is woth more than Prince on the open market. If a team offers Josh more than 65, they obviously think his shooting and scoring will improve dramatically...