• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ric Bucher reports

HAWKSFAN

Ric Bucher was just on ESPNnews and said he'd be "shocked" if Smith is back in Atlanta next season and that the chances are slim. He said that Smith does not want to return to Atlanta. And commented on his relationship with Mike Woodson. He said if Sixers don't get Brand, they'll give Smith an offer the Hawks won't match. And that if they do get Brand, the Clippers would sign Smith to be their PF.

I don't think it'd be the end of the world if this happened. Horford needs to be a PF and I actually believe so does Smith. Al Horford is the better prospect, so it's probably best to let Smoove go at the amount he costs. Also, Smith being our 4 and Horford our 5 was a big reason why people thought we should be a running team. If we start Horford at the 4, we're not as much of a running team.

Quote:

Ric Bucher was just on ESPNnews and said he'd be "shocked" if Smith is back in Atlanta next season and that the chances are slim. He said that Smith does not want to return to Atlanta. And commented on his relationship with Mike Woodson. He said if Sixers don't get Brand, they'll give Smith an offer the Hawks won't match. And that if they do get Brand, the Clippers would sign Smith to be their PF.

WOW he is really sticking his neck out there with a bold prediction.

The comment about Woodson should be no surprise to anyone here.

but wait i thought Diesel stated last week that the Hawks had a meeting to "cater to Smoove." I can only assume that in that meeting they had agreed that Woodson was retained to operate as a figurehead and Smoove would actually act as a player/coach.

Seriously, though, if that is true, that is strong language from Ric.

I think in Smoove's perfect world, Woody might be gone but I think he likes Atlanta a lot more than he dislikes Woody. I find it VERY difficult to believe that Sund would bring Woody back if he knew that doing so MIGHT (let alone would) cost him the chance to resign Smoove. If Sund is that dumb, we are in some SERIOUS trouble.

Quote:

Quote:

we lose games because of woodson and now our future star

I know it'd be really mess up if we loss Smoove because of Woodson

He's not leaving ENTIRELY because of Woodson.

He's fed up with the ASG and our GMs.

No contract offer was made last Tuesday or Wednesday when our officials met with him. How that is possible, especially after a very moderate contract offer last summer is anyone's guess.

The ASG are stingy, frugal, remote, inconsiderate, detached, insensitive, and don't give a d@mn about winning.

him leaving is about our ownership and their pathetic reputation, not because of Woodson. Woodson pushes his players hard and is in his office for hours every day. I can't name one person in this country with one ounce of respect for the ASG.

I am pissed because I bought a Smoove jersey, but I am glad because now we have some leeway to resign Chillz or go after Maggette (yeah right), and bring some players in.

The focus should be on marvin, JJ and Bibby becoming huge scorers, with Horford as our Elton Brand.

Losing Smoove for nothing would be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. That would just show shocking incompetency and lack of foresight. I'm holding off for now though with getting to upset with any of these rumors, because I have no confidence in the accuracy of the majority of these kinds of media reports.

I think the whole "Smith loves ATL" thing is blown way out of proportion. It's possible that since he's been an ATLien al of his life, that he may want to see what life is like somewhere else . . . especially if it's out in Los Angeles.

Even in Philly, Smith will be in East Coast media market and get plenty of exposure.

The true question is . . . does Smith care more about winning, or seeing his "star" shine as bright as possible?

It's hard to believe that if Smith played in either LA or Philly, that he still would've not been selected for one of those All-Defensive NBA teams. More exposure, coupled with sports talk hosts and writers in those prospective areas talking him up, may have elevated his status in the eyes of the voters.

The NBA is a big time business, and these agents have to make the best business decision possible for their client. It's "business" over "love", for the most part in professional sports.

• Premium Member

The unfortunate part of this whole saga is that Ric Bucher doesn't understand that Smoove's future really is not his choice right now. He can not want to be back, but we have a certain thing called Right of first refusal. Meaning that we can match whatever contract Smoove signs. There's NO Contract that ASG cannot match... because matching is not based on Money. Let me help some understand this... IF Smoove is signed to a 10 Billion dollar contract, if ASG felt the need, they could match that. Because it's not about money. We can even go over the Luxury Cap to Sign Smoove.

Us resigning Smoove has everything to do with the ASG's willingness to sign him. So if the ASG wanted to, they could resign Smoove and then trade him. If we're talking LAC, let's talk Smoove for Kaman.

Quote:

Yuck.

If this is not true, this deserves a public response from Sund.

I agree but Sund is not going to allow some young "whipper snapper" writer like Bucher to get him all riled up and play a media game. Sund has been around the block many times. His response will be 7 days from tomorrow after Smith signs an offer sheet.

Now Gearon, Jr. on the other hand may be on 680 as we speak defending his beloved city and team. He seems to let his emotions get the best of him at times...but he is still pretty young for an owner and should mature.

I just hope the ASG allow Smith to stay even if Chillz walks and we fill out the roster with the league "left overs" at minum salary.

I think Smoove is GENUINELY proud to rep the ATL and I think he LOVES being here. His whole family is here and most of his close friends are here. Allthings being equal, I think he wants to stay here.

Of course it is POSSIBLE that he would like to go elsewhere but I have NEVER heard him say that. If he indicated that he WANTED to go somewhere else, I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't have been moved some time ago for the PG or Center that we needed.

All of the things you say about his exposure are quite possible. It is also possible that he would get booed off the floor in Philly for taking too many ill-advised 3's or for making too many of his ill-advised passes.

I can't imagine that he would PREFER to go to the Clippers, particularly with no Elton Brand, versus staying here. I can't see the Clips making the playoffs in the West with Smoove but without Brand and Magette. Actually, the same goes for the Warriors. If the money is significantly greater, that is one thing but all things being equal, I think he PREFERS to stay.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Smoove isn't going anywhere. Someone who has the words "home team" tatooed on his hands loves this city and wants to stay here no matter what.

If Smoove has a problem with Woody, I'm sure that ASG has promised that Wood is gone after Feb.

Quote:

Smoove isn't going anywhere. Someone who has the words "home team" tatooed on his hands loves this city and wants to stay here no matter what.

I agree Josh is one of the most popular athletes in Atlanta, I just can't see him wanting to leave Atlanta if we match.

Quote:

I don't think it'd be the end of the world if this happened. Horford needs to be a PF and I actually believe so does Smith. Al Horford is the better prospect, so it's probably best to let Smoove go at the amount he costs. Also, Smith being our 4 and Horford our 5 was a big reason why people thought we should be a running team. If we start Horford at the 4, we're not as much of a running team.

If its any consolation, the yahoo sports basketball guy is saying tha Brand is likely to sign with the Sixers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ande...=yhoo&type=lgns