• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou: Saved by the (Elton Brand) Bell?

DrReality

By Sekou K Smith | Wednesday, July 9, 2008, 06:54 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

SMYRNA - This couldn’t have turned out better for the Hawks if they had written the script themselves.

Elton Brand opts out just hours before the deadline.

The Clippers and Warriors tussle over him while it appears the Sixers have eyes for Josh Smith alone, only to find out that Brand, the 29-year-old two-time All-Star power forward and potential anchor, is willing to come to the Eastern Conference for more cash.

Brand’s status as an unrestricted free agent (Smith is restricted, which has always been and will continue to be the Hawks’ ace in the hole) no doubt made him the more viable option for the Sixers.

They didn’t have to worry about anyone matching their offer (the Hawks, to their credit, have maintained that stance for both Josh Smith and Josh Childress and haven’t spent any time talking publicly about anything to the contrary. That had to weigh on Philly as they decided which was their best plan of attack - “wait seven days to see if the Hawks will match with our cash tied up for Smith or roll with Brand, who is older and coming off an Achilles injury that cost him all but eight games last season, but is a two-time All-Star and already has the low-post game that could put us over the hump.” It’s easy to see the logic there. Brand was a sure thing, provided he was receptive to the idea of becoming a Sixer … uh, he had $82 million reasons over five years to warm to the idea).

It was pure serendipity at work for the Hawks (with a little Reality-TV by Elton Brand - the mantra for all during free agency tends to be “Show Me the Money” and despite reports elsewhere I’m told the Sixers offer was by far the most lucrative for Brand, who opted for money and the best chance to win quickly. Remember the Sixers made the playoffs last year and the Warriors and Clippers did not).

That leaves Smith and Childress still on the market, technically, but more likely than ever to return to the Hawks at a price the club likes as opposed to a price dictated by a team flush with cash to spend on free agents.

No one is going to be scared of the Clippers (notorious for their penny pinching ways in the past) coming after their players. They’ll simply match offers and keep it moving.

Now that the NBA’s salary cap number ($58.6 million) is out, teams should start moving quickly to wrap up free agency so we can get to the second stage of the summer fun, the trade season.

That may be where the Hawks have to do their best work this summer. Because the post-free-agent-frenzy trade season is where veterans can be had, veterans that can fill out a roster and veterans that can help the Hawks take that next step.

Taking care of the Joshes, however, remains the Hawks’ top priority. And it should be simple a formality now. And it’s not like either of those guys has ever acted like they didn’t want to be here. In fact, they both made it clear after Game 7 in Boston that they were desperate for things to stay together. Remember, they’ve been here the longest. They’ve endured the toughest of tough times more than anyone else on the roster.

But like Brand, and every other free agent out there, restricted or otherwise, they want someone to show them the money, too. The C.R.E.A.M. (for those of you hip-hop challenged members of our crew that’s Cash Rules Everything Around Me) doctrine rules the day in the NBA as usual.

Just ask the Clippers and Warriors now that they are on the wrong side of the Brand sweepstakes.

And it should be simple a formality now. And it’s not like either of those guys has ever acted like they didn’t want to be here. In fact, they both made it clear after Game 7 in Boston that they were desperate for things to stay toget

Hope he knows what he is talking about. this could turn out better than we thought.

Quote:

And it’s not like either of those guys has ever acted like they didn’t want to be here. In fact, they both made it clear after Game 7 in Boston that they were desperate for things to stay together.

So much for Bucher and two-thirds of this board.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So much for Bucher and
two-thirds of this board.

I think half the board wanted him gone! Some wanted a sign and trade to get a center. Some didn't like Smith's game and wanted him gone at all cost. And still other wanted the Hawks to be a bad team next year so they could continue to complain about everything Hawk while masquerading as a fan of the team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Best case scenerio has played out for the Hawks with Brand and the 76ers. Considering the Clippers only offered Brand 5 years at $70 mill I would seriously I doubt they offer Smoove any more then that.

It would really make them look ridiculous if they did.

Now thats what I wanted to hear from Sekou. A response to Buchers bold statement that Smoove wants out. The only problem is if you read it all it says is that after our playoff series both Joshes wanted to come back. Now anyone with a morsal of Hawks knowledge would know that at that time Smoove didnt know Woody was coming back and some of his quotes proved that. Also Smoove had yet to experiance whatever happened at that meeting with Rick Sund before he went to Philly. Im not saying Bucher is right but I would feel better if I heard Smoove say some good things about returnig to Atl.

Quote:

Quote:

I really am surprised that Brand left the Clippers. He is a real good fit in Philly though.

If Philly signs Lou and gets another shooter, they will move towards the top 4.

Their defense is going to be ridiculous. I hope Brand gets injured again, that way we won't have to see him 4 times next year. You also got to take into account that players like Thad Young, Lou, and A.I. are going to be better next year.

about wanting to come back as long as the ASG/Sund is making him shop for an offer to match. I'm sure he is not thrilled that they haven't made an offer to him at the level HE thinks he deserves and if he has to settle for something less than the $11M or so to start that he THOUGHT he was going to get from Philly, he won't be thrilled. Still, in time, he will likely come to realize that this is the nature of the business as will Okafor, Iggy, Deng, Gordon, Chillz and all of the other RFAs out there right now.

Who's to say that Josh didn't want to go out and shop around? It certainly can't hurt for him to get some more exposure around the league and as long as we bring him back it will create more positive news about the Hawks being willing to spend the money to keep their players. I think that when all is said and done he will still get a contract that starts around 11 million and he should be happy with that.

Say the highest the Clips are willing to go is 5 yrs/$54M starting at $9M a season. What does he do then? He can either sign it and watch us HAPPILY match or he can choose to play this season at the qualifying offer and become unrestricted next year.

If the Clips do come back with such an offer, I almost hope the Hawks will actually offer him a deal starting at $10M a season just to make him a little happier. I sure as heck don't want him pouting next year because he didn't get what he thinks he deserves and you KNOW he has to think he deserves more than $54M. Still, if Maggette "only" got $50M after averaging 22 ppg, maybe Smoove won't complain too much if he "only" gets $54M.

I agree, I would offer Smith a slightly better deal than what Maggette got if the Clips only offered him 5/45 and I would probably give him a player option for the last year (if we can do that).

It's important that we are able to keep him happy if he stays a Hawk. I will sure be glad once we have this all settled though that's for sure.