• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rumors: Josh Smith And Byc

emplay

from the article.......

Today's section is geared exclusively towards the latest rumors floating around the NBA …

Josh Smith: No resolution yet in Atlanta. Josh Smith remains a restricted free agent and to date it doesn't appear the Hawks are willing to pay him the going rate - at least based on the numbers received by players like Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and Emeka Okafor ($10-12 million a season).

The question remains, does Smith accept the team's qualifying offer of $3.2 million and look to leave as an unrestricted free agent next year? Or can the Hawks find a satisfactory sign-and-trade for the talented forward?

One hitch in any Smith negotiation is the widely misunderstood Base Year Compensation (BYC) clause that limits Atlanta's ability to trade him.

Assuming a team is over the salary cap, a team can take in more salary than they send out only if it comes within 125% + $100k of the incoming figure. In other words if a team is sending out a player making $10 million, they can take in as much as $12.6 million but no more. (Note: This doesn't apply for trade exceptions.)

Any raise over 20% makes a player BYC, meaning the team sending out the player is only credited for half of the player's salary (or their prior year's compensation, whichever is greater). That means if Smith signed a contract starting at $10 million, the league would consider the Hawks' outgoing number as $5 million. Factoring in the 125% + $100k cushion, the most they would be able to take in for Smith would be $6.35 million.

How does BYC impact potential suitors?

see: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9629

CAP SPACE FOR ASG? LMFAO YOU MEAN MONEY IN THEIR POCKET. I swore the last 3 or 4 years of watching our young cats grow WAS THE FUKKIN REBUILDING THAT THIS FOOL WANTS US TO ENTER INTO AGAIN. Does anyone remember that year with Toine and 13 wins? If we dump Smoove for " cap space" for the big free agent year of Lebron and company none of who would ever sign an autograph here much less a contract, I WILL BUY THE ANARCHIST COOKBOOK.

thx - I've lurked through the years here - even posted from time to time whenever Atlanta has been on my radar vis a vis the Lakers or Clippers. My gut says that Smith takes the qualifying offer. As far as going for cap room - believe me - free agents will sign in Atlanta next year (if it comes to that) - because there are so few teams with space and a number of high quality guys coming up. Of course the ASG may decide to wait another year for the LeBron, Wade, Amare summer fiesta.

We shall see. I appreciate the welcome.

EP

Very good article. One team that hasn't been on the radar much is the Cavs, and I think King James probably has the pull to seek a trade for someone like Smoove. Don't know that what they are asking is all that enticing though?

I had suggested that was the Eastern Conference powerhouse team that is being referred to by Sekou. Unfortunately, they've got good pieces, but nothing I see coming to us that would be amazing. Since they've got 3 solid centers there (Z, Big Ben, Varajeo), I would presume one would be coming back our way. My suggestion was (and mind you, not my preference necessarily) would be Ilgauskas and Joe Smith (expiring contract and vet help) for Smoove and Speedy. Cleveland needs a PG and they hope that Speedy is finally healthy (let him be there problem now).

Bibby

Johnson

Williams

Horford

Ilgauskas

A more traditional lineup and a decent one IMO

Claxton

Szerbiak

James

Smith

Wallace

Definitely a more athletic team than what they had last season, but with Wallace and Claxton on the floor at the same time, you've got 2 huge offensive liabilities.

Nice article except for the end parts

"It could take a combination of JJ Redick, Brian Cook, Keith Bogans and Tony Battie to make a deal. Smith could earn between $10,621,516 and $11,761,832 to make a deal along with Claxton's contract."

Um no thanks :lol:

"The Portland Trail Blazers could try to build a package around Raef LaFrentz' expiring contract. "

:banghead:

• Premium Member

Claxton is a wild card. If his knee continues to be a problem and he isn't able to participate in 10 games this season, essentially the team holding his contract can declare him a long-term injury player. While they would still be responsible to pay him, his salary would not count against their salary cap.

Count me among those who do not want to see any of the above go down... Smoove ought to be this franchise's long-term flag bearer for many reasons, and he ought to be paid as such.

I continue to maintain that we really can't know if Smoove's agents are the problem or if ASG is the problem.

It's altogether plausible to my mind that Smoove began mentally spending the reported (pre-Elton Brand) Philly number of $14 mil/yr until the dominoes began falling against him--arguing that that's his real value since there was at least one team out there willing to spend it.... and altogether plausible that ASG is offering something in the $10-12 mil/yr neighborhood supported by other player signings.

If I'm ASG, I don't bat an eye at $14 mil, though. Again, he is the player on the roster whose future is most promising and from a business standpoint, the player most marketable given his somewhat unique skill set and his local ties.

Assuming this scenario is accurate, what may be the real hold-up is that, assuming they even exist, that none of the SnT possibilities get Smoove to that $14 mil number (and vis-a-vis the Hawks to that dollar amount in terms of talent in return) either.

Great article. Thanks for posting.

Of the possible proposals I like 3:

1. The Pistons deal for Prince and Amire Johnson would work if Amir Johnson can give us 20 mpg of solid play. Any chance of him being a Andre Blatche' type of player ? Prince is solid every where. Good passer, shooter, defender, and very long. He would definately send Marvin to the bench. this trade is only a success if Johnson is a player.

2. The Cavs deal with Joe Smith (expiring) and Varejo is intriguing. Varejo next to Horford gives us good size, rebounding, and alot of energy. A downgrade from Smith but at least we get a guy who can play center and an upgrade over ZaZa in both Smith and Varejo.

3. Josh Howard. He is the most talented guy in the trade proposals. We are not getting any bigs in this trade but we get a talented player who is a border line all star and still just 28.