• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Shouldn't Smoove Expect From Asg At Least What Phi Offered?

sturt

• Premium Member

If Smoove was worth $14 mil to Philly, how is it that he should expect anything less than that from Atlanta? I would think his agents would be arguing that that's his true baseline worth, and that for ATL, there's even added benefit to them in marketing the local hometown success story... so, potentially, they could hold that $15 mil is the right price.

In the poll over the weekend, I voted that $15 mil was the top amount ASG ought to pay for his services, and I stand by that.

If Smoove was worth $14 mil to Philly, how is it that he should expect anything less than that from Atlanta?

In order for Philly to sign Smith they had to make an offer big enough that the ASG wouldn't match. In other words they had to overpay. That is one reason why RFAs rarely get offers.

A reasonable offer won't lure away a RFA because the team with his rights will surely match. If Childress had signed an offer sheet from another team for the MLE the Hawks would have matched without thinking about it.

• Premium Member
If Smoove was worth $14 mil to Philly, how is it that he should expect anything less than that from Atlanta? I would think his agents would be arguing that that's his true baseline worth, and that for ATL, there's even added benefit to them in marketing the local hometown success story... so, potentially, they could hold that $15 mil is the right price.

In the poll over the weekend, I voted that $15 mil was the top amount ASG ought to pay for his services, and I stand by that.

So you believe he is a MAX player at 22 years old? With that kind of thinking, we'd never win a championship because we could not afford to pay any other players on the team, unless the owners wanted to pay the luxury tax every year.

:blink:

• Premium Member
So you believe he is a MAX player at 22 years old? With that kind of thinking, we'd never win a championship because we could not afford to pay any other players on the team, unless the owners wanted to pay the luxury tax every year.

:blink:

While I invited that criticism by mentioning what I personally consider his value to be............ the point of the post isn't what I think... it's what Smith may be could be possibly reasonably plausibly is thinking. :Thinking:

Edited by sturt

So you believe he is a MAX player at 22 years old? :blink:

FYI a max deal starts at 25% of the cap. The cap is currently $58 million so a max deal would start at $14.5 million with raises each year.

I think Smith probably wants a deal like Okafor got but that is just my guess.

• Admin
FYI a max deal starts at 25% of the cap. The cap is currently $58 million so a max deal would start at $14.5 million with raises each year.

I think Smith probably wants a deal like Okafor got but that is just my guess.

I am tired of this. I don't think he is worth this much but give him the 12 million a year and be done with it.

Talk is talk, putting pen to paper is what counts...i cant believe being sweet talked by philly and then just left out to dry by them could be the basis of his negotiatons..

if so, dude is walking on clouds...

Im thinking his footing was on 13+ per, but now reality is sinking in with all the other signings..i expect him to get the 11.5-12 plus the incentives package being thrown around. His side hasnt said too much publicly, but they definately gave out SnT feelers to teams...so i think there is good will to return to ATL when the price is right.

Edited by hussamga

Here's the thing - if Smith takes the QO, some team will offer him $12M per next season, only it will be for 5 years.

If I'm the Hawks, I offer 6 years, $66M with incentives. And then you're done.

That is how it should be. If Sekou is right that they have not officially upped their initial offer of $9M a season for Smoove then that is just ridiculous. He CLEARLY has as much value as Ellis, Biedrins, Okafor and Deng. Pay the man!

• Premium Member
That is how it should be. If Sekou is right that they have not officially upped their initial offer of $9M a season for Smoove then that is just ridiculous. He CLEARLY has as much value as Ellis, Biedrins, Okafor and Deng. Pay the man!

That was a week ago... several signings since then, as you've indicated. Again, though, what's lacking is any report whatsoever as to what Smoove's agents have held out for.

I'm not doubting his reports, but it occurs to me that it's always been a little strange how Sekou's "spies" only tell him about the ASG side of things. If they're that much in-the-know, why wouldn't they share the rest of the story with him?

My suspicion is that, actually, they are.

Here's the thing - if Smith takes the QO, some team will offer him $12M per next season, only it will be for 5 years.

If I'm the Hawks, I offer 6 years, $66M with incentives. And then you're done.

I wonder what his agents feel confident that he can get on the open market as UFA. Even if they feel he could pull 13 a year on the open market next year, 6/66 is probably better because you are getting a little more on the front end.

• Premium Member
He said it yesterday.He also said they aren't even in contact right now in negotiations

If you're talking about his blog, to the contrary, the last time Sekou said anything about it was Wednesday last week.

If you're talking about something else, please cite a source.

If you're talking about his blog, to the contrary, the last time Sekou said anything about it was Wednesday last week.

If you're talking about something else, please cite a source.

This is from Sekous blog.

By Sekou K. Smith

July 30, 2008 8:23 AM | Link to this

The back and forth here has been some of the best we’ve had in the four years this blog has been in existence, so I don’t want to get in the way of that passionate discourse. But …

I take offense to the divide and conquer tactics employed by some (we’re family here, dysfunctional sometimes but family for sure). There are no camps here. This is one big camp of hoops heads and we’ve agreed to disagree many times before. There’s nothing novel about that.

What I can tell you is that for all of our bluster about what should, could or would be done in regards to the Hawks and a conclusion (good or bad) to this Josh Smith saga, there is nothing.

They’re not even talking right now about negotiating anything. The Hawks have made clear where they are ($9 million a year is the only formal offer that’s ever been made) and the Smith camp has made clear where they are (more than that but certainly less than the max).

The real question is where do we go from here?

I’m out of easy answers.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...rket_value.html

Edited by exodus

Dam, this is really pissing me off. Are we TRYING to win or what? We are on the verge of something good and they dont want to pay this man. PAY HIM!!!! ASG or fans might not think he is worth what he is asking but at least make it look like they are trying to keep key players and build a winner. Dam. ASG keep messing around and we gonna be right back to 9-18 win area again with an empty arena.

• Premium Member
This is from Sekous blog.

Expressing my admiration that anyone would have the patience to read down 250-some-comments in the desire to find a Sekou comment buried there. I recognize it's nothing unusual for Sekou to comment on his own blog posting, but it's not something I usually find worth my time and trouble.

The other thing that occurs to me is to remind that the key word here likely is "official," because in the post when he reported the 9 mil, he seemed to indicate there had, in fact, been other discussions of what could be done if such-and-such occurred.... and, again, to remind that Sekou seems to indicate that he has only his own educated guess as to what Smoove is asking. Sure would help if his spies were spying when there had been actual two-way conversations. Maybe his spy is a custodian, looking at paperwork after hours??? Dunno.

Expressing my admiration that anyone would have the patience to read down 250-some-comments in the desire to find a Sekou comment buried there. I recognize it's nothing unusual for Sekou to comment on his own blog posting, but it's not something I usually find worth my time and trouble.

The other thing that occurs to me is to remind that the key word here likely is "official," because in the post when he reported the 9 mil, he seemed to indicate there had, in fact, been other discussions of what could be done if such-and-such occurred.... and, again, to remind that Sekou seems to indicate that he has only his own educated guess as to what Smoove is asking. Sure would help if his spies were spying when there had been actual two-way conversations. Maybe his spy is a custodian, looking at paperwork after hours??? Dunno.

FYI i don't follow Sekou's blog. Somone else posted this entry in another thread earlier today. it takes only seconds to find Sekou's entires because his name is in bold.

We have heard from other sources that the ASG has upped their offer to 9.5-10 million and that Smith is asking for 12. Given the recent signings it should be clear to everyone what the market is saying about Smith's value.

Edited by exodus

Smoove is not a max player. He has alot of talent but he also has gaping holes in his game. If Smoove would dedicate himself to being a real power foward and just accept the fact he is not a ball handler or long range shooter he may someday be a max player.. Smoove is a player with so many unknowns. Is he the guy that lit up the Celtics in games 3 and 4 or is he the player that basically quit in game 7. Max players need to bring it every game, not just when things are going well. If there was someway to tie in how smart and how hard he plays with incentives to raise his salary that might be the way to go with him.

All that being said the market has been set for him at 6 years and somewhere between 67 and 72 million.