• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Memphis Sign Josh Smith To Offer Sheet

MemphisX

According to Commercialappeal.com

$58m, over 5 years I'd imagine.

Well, if its true this will work itself out one way or another.

Be a good fit there, helps their D, they got shooters for the half court so he'll stay down low, he's one of the best transition players in the league.

Edited by crimedog

• Admin
$58m, over 5 years I'd imagine.

Well, if its true this will work itself out one way or another.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...th-offer-sheet/

Lets hope. That is reasonable (11.4 for 5 years) but if it is for 4 years or less he is getting overpaid.

I hope this is true and we match and be done with this. All that will be left after that is finding a big man.

Edited by capstone21

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/...th-offer-sheet/

Lets hope. That is reasonable (11.4 for 5 years) but if it is for 4 years or less he is getting overpaid.

I hope this is true and we match and be done with this. All that will be left after that is finding a big man.

I think 5 years $58 million is a fair deal. Now it is time for the ASG to show whether they are legit or liars. If they don't match i am done with the Hawks.

Agreed. If they don't match this lame-a** offer I am first driving 300 miles to ASG offices and living in the lobby, and then I am renouncing my fanship and HS membership. This will be the absolute test. No one could've matched Chillz offer. This is easy. Don't screw up.

It has to be a 5 year offer RIGHT? I mean if its 4 years than he's getting 14.5 MILL a year and he AINT WORTH THAT. However if he's already signed it we have to match because losing him for nothing would be catastrophic. Im not sure Memphis can pay him that much in a 4 year offer per league rules.

Edited by NJHAWK

If they don't match a 58 million dollar contract 4-5, I will seriously go up to Phillips Arena and smack the shyt out of everyone of them...

Make sure you pick me up, I'll supply the weapons.

I'm guessing it is four years; which is very fair-not too much, and not the nine mil ASG insulted him with.

Why would he want to play in Memphis? It is pretty much the NBA's hellhole. All players who go to Memphis go blooey....Abdur-Rahim, Gasol, J-Will, etc....Smoove will regret that!

Even if they do match it, they have the mend the relationship with Smith. Otherwise you're paying a pissed off player $12M/yr for the next 5 years.

Thats a good point. As we seen with Brett Farve sometimes its hard for athletes to get over there differences with their original franchise. 58mil over 5 years is a no excuse for the ASG.

I hope no one tries to spin how it is ok if the ASG does not match.

I don't think they're gonna match it. They were set in at 9 mil and nothing above that.

Eh, they also said they'd match anything and they've taken the approach that the players can let the market decide their value.

In their mind(s) they had no reason to offer more than 9 b/c they didn't think he'd realistically take the QO.

I'm not sold that they are gonna match, I don't know if Mem would have offered if it was a sure thing, but I don't think its unlikely.

• Premium Member
I don't think they're gonna match it. They were set in at 9 mil and nothing above that.

Your stance doesn't make any sense! That contract can be easily traded if ASG doesn't want Smith. So why would they just give an asset away?

I think its pretty obvious that the Hawks should match this. If they don't, and they lose him, it'll prove that they lied to the fanbase about keeping the Joshes. They're already halfway there, now they need to save face. They should, they can do it easily.