• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dream Team vs. Redeem Team

Diesel

• Premium Member

When you have:

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Pippen, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Drexler, Laettner, Robinson, and Chris Mullin...

vs.

Redeem team.

I hate to bust the Mike and Mike Show's bubble but the Dream team would kill the Redeem team.

Who's going to stop Barkley?

Who's going to stop Pippen?

Who's going to stop Jordan?

Who's going to stop Stockton?

Then... you have David Robinson and Pat Ewing... I love Howard, but he's no match for the 2 Centers of the Dream team.

Sure redeem team plays much better competition, but the Dream team would obliterate them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its an interesting argument. Thanks for bringing it up....some Charmin thoughts here ;)

Magic, Bird, Jordan, Barkley, Pippen, Stockton, Malone, Ewing, Drexler, Laettner, Robinson, and Chris Mullin...

That is probably the greatest basketball team of all time. However:

James, Wade, Bryant, Kidd, Redd, Anthony, Prince, Paul, Williams, Bosh, Howard, Boozer.

Kobe can slow MJ.

LeBron would stop Pippen.

Chris Paul would beat Stockton off the dribble.

Chuck would slaughter Melo, OK, I admit.

Boozer could hang with the Mailman for a while, I think.

Wade couldn't be stopped off the bench IMO.

Howard/Bosh would hold their own. I think that they could crush Laettner.

Deron Williams is the wild card. I'm not sure who would guard him. Prince could come off the bench and slow Mullin/Drexler/Bird.

So, I think you are right Diesel, in the end the DT would beat the RT. But it wouldn't be an obliteration. It would be very close.

You act like Bird was just an after-thought? The Dream Team in a Blowout.Kobe would not slow down Michael,he couldn't slow down Pierce and they are not in the same conversation.Much less what Barkley, Akeem and Ewing would do in the middle.Not even close.

HaKeem was not on the team...

If everyone were in their prime, than it would be the Dream team by a mile.

It hard to compare the teams because Bird was past his prime and never played again after that.Magic was already retired from the NBA.

If everyone were in their prime, than it would be the Dream team by a mile.

But, i will still take the Dream team because of thier better outside shooting and better big men

D.Robinson, Ewing , Malone ,Barkley >>> D.Howard, Bosh, Boozer

You act like Bird was just an after-thought? The Dream Team in a Blowout.Kobe would not slow down Michael,he couldn't slow down Pierce and they are not in the same conversation.Much less what Barkley, Akeem and Ewing would do in the middle.Not even close.

Pimp is right. Bird was a ways past his prime, Magic was retired. "Akeem" wasn't on the team!!!

I think you're kidding yourself a little bit. Kobe guarded Ray Allen during some of the Finals if I remember correctly. The deal with the Celtics is that there were two viable offensive weapons; if Kobe guarded Pierce, Allen scored and vice versa. KB is one of the game's premier defensive stoppers. He stopped Anthony and Ginobili in the same playoffs who are both better scorers than PP. I realize we're dealing with Michael Jordan here, but I think it is closer than you are imagining.

Bosh and Howard are great post players, buddy. They are young and not as experienced as Ewing/Admiral; but they make up for it with athleticism.

Like I said, Dream Team in a nailbiter IMHO.

• Premium Member
Pimp is right. Bird was a ways past his prime, Magic was retired. "Akeem" wasn't on the team!!!

I think you're kidding yourself a little bit. Kobe guarded Ray Allen during some of the Finals if I remember correctly. The deal with the Celtics is that there were two viable offensive weapons; if Kobe guarded Pierce, Allen scored and vice versa. KB is one of the game's premier defensive stoppers. He stopped Anthony and Ginobili in the same playoffs who are both better scorers than PP. I realize we're dealing with Michael Jordan here, but I think it is closer than you are imagining.

Bosh and Howard are great post players, buddy. They are young and not as experienced as Ewing/Admiral; but they make up for it with athleticism.

Jordan, Pippen, Malone, and Stockton were all in their primes. Then there is Drexler and even Mullin. Moreover, remember, Magic didn't retire because of Age. He retired because of Aids. Magic with Aids (yeah right) strolling down the lane finding guys with no look passes from nowhere.

Also, everybody in the dream team era focused on defense about as much as offense. Dream Team would shut the non-defensive redeem team down. Then try to hang 120 on them.

I also heard Mike and Mike saying that they like Coach K better than Chuck Daly?? WHAT!!???!?!!

I get what you are saying...and agree there is no way Coach K is better than Chuck Daly that is heresy!

And I still agree that the Dream Team would win. Look at it this way.

LeBron beats Pippen. We can agree on that, I think. Chris Paul would run past John Stockton. Dwyane Wade is better than the DT's 6th man. I don't necessarily agree on your defensive assessment of the RT...I think that they have played great team D in this tournament, don't you? I mean, I don't think they could stop the Dream Team from hanging 120 but I don't think Barkley could stop a Wade or Bron penetration and jam either. Just my 0.02. Thanks for listening.

• Premium Member
Its an interesting argument. Thanks for bringing it up....some Charmin thoughts here ;)

That is probably the greatest basketball team of all time. However:

James, Wade, Bryant, Kidd, Redd, Anthony, Prince, Paul, Williams, Bosh, Howard, Boozer.

Kobe can slow MJ.

LeBron would stop Pippen.

Chris Paul would beat Stockton off the dribble.

Chuck would slaughter Melo, OK, I admit.

Boozer could hang with the Mailman for a while, I think.

Wade couldn't be stopped off the bench IMO.

Howard/Bosh would hold their own. I think that they could crush Laettner.

Deron Williams is the wild card. I'm not sure who would guard him. Prince could come off the bench and slow Mullin/Drexler/Bird.

So, I think you are right Diesel, in the end the DT would beat the RT. But it wouldn't be an obliteration. It would be very close.

You said Lebron would stop Pippen??

WTF?

Maybe I misjudged your age.. did you watch Pippen?

In the open court Pippen will kill James.

IN the post, Pippen will brutalize James.

On the perimeter Pip will shoot over James.

In every offensive area, Pippen was able to score. James defense hasn't been anything to brag about.

• Premium Member
I get what you are saying...and agree there is no way Coach K is better than Chuck Daly that is heresy!

And I still agree that the Dream Team would win. Look at it this way.

LeBron beats Pippen. We can agree on that, I think. Chris Paul would run past John Stockton. Dwyane Wade is better than the DT's 6th man. I don't necessarily agree on your defensive assessment of the RT...I think that they have played great team D in this tournament, don't you? I mean, I don't think they could stop the Dream Team from hanging 120 but I don't think Barkley could stop a Wade or Bron penetration and jam either. Just my 0.02. Thanks for listening.

I've talked about your James Pippen Matchup.

However, now you say Paul will run past Stockton??

You do know that Stockton is the steals leader for NBA History. Other PGs who were faster and better than Paul couldn't "run past" Stockton. Isiah Thomas in his prime couldn't run past John Stockton.

How exactly does Chris Paul run around Stockton in his prime? Are you kidding me, Stock was quick and probably the best on the ball defender at the point. You realize there is a reason why Stockton has the most steals in the history of the NBA? Quick hands and quicker feet.

Paul also wouldn't be able to stop Stockton, and there is no one who could stop the Malone Stockton pick and roll.

This is a funny debate, because anyone who thinks the Redeem Team could make this close is just a fool. Dream Team had good players the only weakness you could point to them was Christian Laettner who never played. But the Redeem Team doesn't have shooters, doesn't have any dominant defenders, and lacks ball movement.

Sorry i mis-spoke on Hakeem, but Larry was still better than any shooter on the redeem team,i know you couldn't combine amthony and ginobli to make Jordan,I have just never logged in but to compare these teams is crazy.Robinson and Ewing would dominate the middle hands down. It is not even a game.Who on this team has anything for Barkley?There is just a different frame of mind for todays players.And i guess we all forgot about Stockton to Malone all day.

When you have:

vs.

Redeem team.

I hate to bust the Mike and Mike Show's bubble but the Dream team would kill the Redeem team.

Who's going to stop Barkley?

Who's going to stop Pippen?

Who's going to stop Jordan?

Who's going to stop Stockton?

Then... you have David Robinson and Pat Ewing... I love Howard, but he's no match for the 2 Centers of the Dream team.

Sure redeem team plays much better competition, but the Dream team would obliterate them.

That just about sums up how I feel about it. C'mon man. Michael Jordan ? Larry Bird ? Magic Johnson ? Three of the greatest players at their positions in NBA history. You've also got players who already have such good chemistry in Stockton and Malone. The Dream Team was really a team.

I think it would be a good game. It wouldnt be a complete blowout but I would go with the Dream Team of course. Kobe and MJ would be a good matchup regardless of what you all say. yes MJ is the greatest ever but Kobe can give him some competition. where The Dedeem Team will lose the game is our big men today would get killed I think. David Robinson, Ewing, and Malone would kill Howard, Bosh, and Boozer. Guards would be pretty close with the dream team getting the edge because of MJ obviously but I think CP3, Deron Williams, Wade and JKidd could possibly keep up with Stockton and Magic. Pippen and LeBron would be fun to watch..LeBron wins on offense but Pippen wins on defense in my opinion. But the Dream Team has a better bench with Drexler, Mullin, and etc. so I think the Dream team would take it for sure

Personally, I think that although the Redeem Team could potentially be one of the best basketball teams ever assembled (pending a gold medal victory), the Dream Team was just too good. It's been said many times, and said a couple of times in this thread, but the 92 team is probably the best basketball team of all-time. All but 1, arguably 2 of those players on that team are LOCKS for the Hall of Fame. This year's team is a great team...but IMO it doesn't compare.

So I say, if the 92 Team in their prime played the current team...They'd win by at least 10.

• Premium Member

The other thing not stated is the fact that the Dream team played a faster brand of basketball and a more Physical brand of basketball. I can see this game play out in my mind and it's layup city for the dream team. The thought of anybody just "running" by Stockton is just humorous. Stockton played against Isiah, GP, Magic, THardaway, PHardaway, K Anderson, Stoudamire, and Kidd all in their primes and none of them could run by Stockton. Not even after Stockton got old... they couldn't run past him. But I can see Dream Team running up and down the floor on redeem team. Redeem team is good but not built for the game that Dream team played.

Can we talk about Physical. First off, how many times did Pippen get hit going to the rim... and still scored? I bet you could make a youtube mix with just Pippen getting hit, scoring, and falling to the floor. It would probably last 12 minutes. The reason is because these guys played more physically than guys today. I think the only guys on this team that could compete are Boozer and Kidd. Bron and Kobe's game would be messed up by physical play. They would whine for calls. I specifically remember during the dream team games that it was a point where Barkley was being guarded by this guy from the Angola team. Barkley Dunked on him and damn near pushed him out of the arena. It was very physical. The Redeem teamers consider slap and tickle to be physical play. Then there's dirty play. You thought Chris Paul in college was dirty... Stockton and Bird were two of the dirtest players in the game. Stockton and Bird was just frustrate the hell out of every Redeem teamer... and to make it "mental", Bird is talking s--- the whole game. Who did you have guarding Bird? Tayshun Prince or Melo?? Oh, it's a rap. Melo is not mentally tough enough to play Bird. Melo fouled out in the 2nd qtr with 9 minutes left to play.

How exactly does Chris Paul run around Stockton in his prime? Are you kidding me, Stock was quick and probably the best on the ball defender at the point. You realize there is a reason why Stockton has the most steals in the history of the NBA? Quick hands and quicker feet.

Paul also wouldn't be able to stop Stockton, and there is no one who could stop the Malone Stockton pick and roll.

This is a funny debate, because anyone who thinks the Redeem Team could make this close is just a fool. Dream Team had good players the only weakness you could point to them was Christian Laettner who never played. But the Redeem Team doesn't have shooters, doesn't have any dominant defenders, and lacks ball movement.

Have you watched CP3 dude? He's likely the fastest player in the NBA right now. its not apples/apples due to their age, but Paul could end up challenging Stockton on the steal record.

Kobe, D-Will, and Redd are shooters. Prince and Kobe and possibly Howard are dominant defenders, using the word dominant loosely.

The other thing not stated is the fact that the Dream team played a faster brand of basketball and a more Physical brand of basketball. I can see this game play out in my mind and it's layup city for the dream team. The thought of anybody just "running" by Stockton is just humorous. Stockton played against Isiah, GP, Magic, THardaway, PHardaway, K Anderson, Stoudamire, and Kidd all in their primes and none of them could run by Stockton. Not even after Stockton got old... they couldn't run past him. But I can see Dream Team running up and down the floor on redeem team. Redeem team is good but not built for the game that Dream team played.

Can we talk about Physical. First off, how many times did Pippen get hit going to the rim... and still scored? I bet you could make a youtube mix with just Pippen getting hit, scoring, and falling to the floor. It would probably last 12 minutes. The reason is because these guys played more physically than guys today. I think the only guys on this team that could compete are Boozer and Kidd. Bron and Kobe's game would be messed up by physical play. They would whine for calls. I specifically remember during the dream team games that it was a point where Barkley was being guarded by this guy from the Angola team. Barkley Dunked on him and damn near pushed him out of the arena. It was very physical. The Redeem teamers consider slap and tickle to be physical play. Then there's dirty play. You thought Chris Paul in college was dirty... Stockton and Bird were two of the dirtest players in the game. Stockton and Bird was just frustrate the hell out of every Redeem teamer... and to make it "mental", Bird is talking s--- the whole game. Who did you have guarding Bird? Tayshun Prince or Melo?? Oh, it's a rap. Melo is not mentally tough enough to play Bird. Melo fouled out in the 2nd qtr with 9 minutes left to play.

On LeBron/Pippen...yeah, I watched a ton of Bulls ball in the nineties, granted, I was only like ten, but I've watched ESPN Classic lol. I think you may be wrong on the post assessment. LeBron has at least an inch and twenty pounds on Scottie. I think LeBron would beat him down the floor.

I hear you on Melo. He's the weak link IMO of the whole deal. He isn't tough enough to guard some China players, much less the Basketball Jesus.

I'm not sure I understand how you think the Dream Team is faster? In a transition game, I'm not sure they could run the floor with Paul, LeBron, Wade, Kobe, Bosh, etc. I'd be interested to hear you flesh that out.

Physicality...you're probably right; I think it gets neutralized some in the RT's superior transition game though. It's funny imagining Anthony or Prince bodying up to Chuck.

Have you watched CP3 dude? He's likely the fastest player in the NBA right now. its not apples/apples due to their age, but Paul could end up challenging Stockton on the steal record.

I believe Hollinger did a report on which records had a chance to be broken and the probability of an NBA record to be broken. I believe the link is here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...drecords-080313

But I do not have insider and cannot access it. If I remember correctly, the one record that had 0 probability of being broken was Stockton's steals and assists records.

I have seen Chris Paul play, but I doubt you have seen Stockton play. No one has ever ran around him, but for some reason you believe Chris Paul could? Give me a break. If you look simply at Per 36 stats on steals per game, Chris Paul has put up 2.2, 1.8, and 2.7. Stockton only had 2 seasons below 2 (when he was 33 and 35) out of 19 seasons. This isn't even a contest, statistically Stockton is vastly better and if you ever watched him it is obvious that he is greater than CP. Hell I am not even sure that if Stockton came to play right now at 46 he wouldn't still be able to put up solid numbers.