• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New Sekou blog on Marvin the Martian

Swish

I like that ... a "selfish" MW is definitely what we need to see. For whatever reason he just doesn't have that mentality. Maybe because of the way he was raised and because he is such a well mannered and polite kid that he doesn't want to upset his teammates or something, but hopefully that will change as he gets a little older.

That's a good point about the offensive system. For all the support and backing I have given Woody I would never argue that he runs a well defined system. Hopefully that will be something that changes with time and the sooner the better!

I think that "Selfish Marvin" would realize that him aggressivley looking for his shot even when he's not hitting will open up things for his teammates. I think he wants to play the "right way" and that actually holds him back from being the player he can be. He will never have a Kobe, Carmelo or AI mentality but he could possibly get to where LeBron is (from a mentality standpoint that is) because LeBron doesn't have a natural shoot first mentality either. LeBron's coaches made him realize however that as the best player on the court, he HAD to be more aggressive when looking for his shot because that was best for the TEAM. Marvin needs to realize that him being aggressive offensively will make things better for the Hawks as well. If he can come to that realization, I think he will improve dramatically. If he can't, he will be Lamar Odom at best.

You're right if Marvin is going to be a big time player, this is the year that we have see it. Marvin's the right guy to have out there with Bibby IMO. Bibs can throw some bad passes, but he does see the court well. He can deliver the ball where Marvin needs it.

I really hope that Woodson lets all 5 guys be involved in the offense this year. The JJ isos have just got to stop and the offense become more diverse. That said, I have absolutely no faith that Woodson will change his offensive philosophy.

the thing is Woodson doesn't know enough or care enough about offense to make it better.

the thing is Woodson doesn't know enough or care enough about offense to make it better.

That's a silly statement. I'd bet you anything that he cares a hell of a lot more about all facets of our team than you'd ever imagine. Clearly he's not the brightest offensive mind in the game and his offense might never be a successful or dynamic one, but it's only because of a lack of ability to make it better and not due to a lack of caring.

That's a silly statement. I'd bet you anything that he cares a hell of a lot more about all facets of our team than you'd ever imagine. Clearly he's not the brightest offensive mind in the game and his offense might never be a successful or dynamic one, but it's only because of a lack of ability to make it better and not due to a lack of caring.

saying he thinks offense takes care of itself,mixed in with his actual offense that we've seen for 4 years proves he doesn't give a flying f***,takes no imagination,Joe Johnson Isolation. If he cared he would get a coach to run it instead of trying to be Mr. big man on the sideline knowing he has no clue about offense.

Edited by Cwell

saying he thinks offense takes care of itself,mixed in with his actual offense that we've seen for 4 years proves he doesn't give a flying f***,takes no imagination,Joe Johnson Isolation. If he cared he would get a coach to run it instead of trying to be Mr. big man on the sideline knowing he has no clue about offense.

You know how many championship caliber coaches have said something similar about offense taking care of itself and that it's defense that you have to focus on? I just think it's silly to think that he doesn't care about such a large portion of the game. He may not think it's the most important thing, but he definitely cares.

I'd like to see a true offensive coach brought in to call the offensive plays, but I'm not sure how much that happens in the NBA and if anyone is available to fill that role.

Hope this gets to print soon.

By Sekou K. Smith

September 2, 2008 8:57 PM | Link to this

Stefan,

Josh has beefed up. I’m the one who wrote about it here a few weeks back. Saw him at a pro am game.

I’m actually tracking him down tomorrow for an interview that will be published later. I’ll have more details after seeing him

Hope this gets to print soon.

By Sekou K. Smith

September 2, 2008 8:57 PM | Link to this

Stefan,

Josh has beefed up. I’m the one who wrote about it here a few weeks back. Saw him at a pro am game.

I’m actually tracking him down tomorrow for an interview that will be published later. I’ll have more details after seeing him

Well this won't do much for those that believe Sekou is starting to get a little full of himself.

• Moderators
So he should change his entire way of playing because "fans" are unhappy with his production? And it's just that easy to be a Karl Malone like player huh? Arguably the best PF ever...? :no-no:

He should continuing working on what got him here: his jumpshot and versatility.

I'm not saying he should become Karl Malone or that anyone could. Marvin has some quickness. But having Marvin out at the 3 point line IS changing his entire way of playing. I'm fine with him trying to develop that shot but don't expect great efficiency out of it. In fact, even though his jumper is 'picture-perfect' he hasn't achieved great efficiency from 18 in. My point is that he has spent 3 years developing a mid range game (Marvin himself describes his style as close to the ground). If we can give him the ball mid range and he can post up/hit a short jumper/ or drive then he'll be a threat.

• Moderators

I agree. This is a competence issue with the offense not a lack of caring. I take the statement about the offense taking care of itself as Woodson's way of focusing attention on the defense. As long as he has been with the team, it is clear he just doesn't have the ability to install a functioning offense. I hope he did some homework this summer and has something to bring to the table offensively this year. If he is capable of being a competent head coach, he should be able to pick it up and have an easier time running something with our existing personnel (as opposed to the truly green squads of prior years).

This is an area that must improve for the team to start winning more games than it loses, IMO.

From later in this same blog:

By Sekou K. Smith

September 3, 2008 7:49 AM | Link to this

Haven’t seen Solo in over a month Mike. But I’m sure he’ll be around in the coming days as I troll around Philips Arena looking go players.

For what it’s worth, Solo still has a roster spot with the Hawks. He’ll have his chance to solidify that spot with a huge training camp.