• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Worst Team Names in Pro Sports

Swish

This thread is a shout out to all the dorks in whatever department who named their teams. Some of these names are funny, some corny, and some just painful. What do you think is the worst team nickname in sports?

To name a few---

Houston Texans---I mean, really? Were they serious? This is my least favorite. Utterly pathetic.

OKC Thunder-- What caused the thunder? Buffalo? Storms? Farting? OK, not the last one, but still.

Cleveland Browns-- Is this the only team in the world named after a color?

Minnesota Wild-- There's not much I can say about that.

New York Red Bulls--just because companies shouldn't do that.

Washington Wizards--if you turn your head, they may cast a spell on you.

Philadelphia Soul--bleck. They sing their opponents to sleep.

Oakland Athletics--huh????

LA Lakers- just for oxymoronic value.

Swish,do you know anything about the storied Browns? Or the Lakers being from Minnesota, home of 1,000 lakes? Or that the Athletics came from Philadelphia and are one of the oldest organizations in professional sports? I agree with the rest of the list, though. Except for the Thunder. I kind of like it. They do have a lot of thunder in Oklahoma.

Yeah dude, I do. It was my opinion. I think the Lakers should've changed the name of their team, but, I guess, history counts.

I know all the history man, and I still think the Athletics are a pretty sorry name :). No matter. Just a fun thread. No need to get uptight.

Yeah dude, I do. It was my opinion. I think the Lakers should've changed the name of their team, but, I guess, history counts.

I know all the history man, and I still think the Athletics are a pretty sorry name :). No matter. Just a fun thread. No need to get uptight.

No worries. I'm not uptight. I just thought you might not know the history? Otto Graham was awesome, btw. Oh, and I just thought of the Reds and the Blues, but hockey doesn't really count, does it?

Edited by TroyMcClure

I like the LA Lakers, it has a nice ring to it and is original.

OKC Thunder is downright terrible, and more akin to a WNBA team than anything.

I think they made a poll on the nba.com site and fans voted for Thunder so the majority of people liked it. I didn't think it's that bad at first, but after hearing someone guy break it down... it just doesn't have a nice ring to it. Like... "the highest scorer on the Thunder is..."

The 76ers- Yes, I know its after the country's founding year, but its a stupid name.

Mets- short for Metropolitans, dumb

Phillies- are they female horses? Short for Philidelphian?

Blue Jackets- boring, and bad Elvis reference

Cardinals- great for a baseball team, horrid for a football one playing in Arizona (now)

Padres- Catholic priests? huh?

Redskins- grossly racist. Yes, its equivalent to the N-word

• Moderators
The Indianapolis Clowns

The Atlanta Crackers

They were negro league teams.

The Crackers was actually the white team. The negro league team was called the Black Crackers which is infinitely worse.

I'm not fond of names that are concepts like the Magic and the Dream. New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz are terribly misnamed. The Jazz should have changed the name when they moved.

The Crackers was actually the white team. The negro league team was called the Black Crackers which is infinitely worse.

I'm not fond of names that are concepts like the Magic and the Dream. New Orleans Hornets and Utah Jazz are terribly misnamed. The Jazz should have changed the name when they moved.

The Jazz is almost so bad, that it's good. I mean, I never even think of Jazz music when I see them. Especially since the new mountain logo of the past decade or so. Plus, Utah is like the least jazzy place in America. Okay, maybe Wasilla beats it.

• Moderators

I do really like the trend of teams having to leave their names behind when they abandon a city. Letting Cleveland keep the Browns, Seattle keep the Sonics, Charlotte keep the Hornets, etc. makes total sense. Hopefully we will see fewer "Lakers"/"Jazz" sorts of mismatches in the future.

The South Carolina Gamecocks has to be the worst name in all sports. It just gives too many opportunities to be made fun of. I sort of like the Thunder. It is appropriate for Oklahoma. I think some of the really bad ones are from teams that moved and should have changed names..The Jazz being far and away the worst.

BTW..Did you guys know the Athletics came within an eyelash of being in Atlanta before the Braves? Charley Findley got a better offer from Oakland at the last minute. The old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was actually being built for the A's. Imagine how different that wold have been.

The South Carolina Gamecocks has to be the worst name in all sports. It just gives too many opportunities to be made fun of. I sort of like the Thunder. It is appropriate for Oklahoma. I think some of the really bad ones are from teams that moved and should have changed names..The Jazz being far and away the worst.

BTW..Did you guys know the Athletics came within an eyelash of being in Atlanta before the Braves? Charley Findley got a better offer from Oakland at the last minute. The old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was actually being built for the A's. Imagine how different that wold have been.

minor league teams have great/horrible names. they are awsome since they are minor leagues and that alone almost give them licencing to be terrible, like their messed up promotional nights. however, the macon whoopee and the isotopes (voted for by fans to be named after the simpsons team) would be wretched major league names.