• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson calls out Josh Smith

gsuteke

Hawks’ Mike Woodson calls out Josh Smith

Coach, forward play down incident after practice

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hawks coach Mike Woodson and Josh Smith finally had their training camp dust-up Tuesday, ringing in yet another year together.

Woodson called his team together in a practice-ending huddle and began his speech by telling his team that they needed to take their game to another level with the regular season approaching

RELATED STORIES

Hawks' Mike Woodson calls out Josh Smith

Hawks fall to Magic

Hawks have more depth, options

More Hawks coverage

He mentioned Smith by name, which prompted the fifth-year forward to react by saying he was willing to “take all the blame.”

After a brief exchange the huddle broke and Smith headed for the locker room steaming at being called out and shattered his mouthpiece case against a wall. Woodson, smiling the entire time, warned his assistants and other players that Smith would be fine and that they shouldn’t worry.

“Listen, it’s getting close to that time and we can’t go into this thing being cool about anything,” Woodson said long after the buzz had died down. “We had a good run last year and that run is over. You’ve got to build on that run. And the only way you do that is through hard work, on the floor and that carrying over into games.

“I’m not letting these guys off the hook. They can think I’m tough or whatever, but we’ve got to be ready. We’ve got to be ready.”

The final preseason game is Thursday in Detroit before the regular season opens on Oct. 29.

Smith has been a shadow of his usual self during this preseason. While statistics are normally lower due to fewer minutes being played, some of his numbers are drastically low.

He’s grabbed just one rebound in the Hawks’ last two preseason games and didn’t block a single shot in either game. Fouls limited him to just over 15 minutes in Saturday’s win in Charlotte. But he played 33 minutes in a loss to Orlando Monday and grabbed just one rebound to go along with his 13 points and five assists.

Smith’s preseason averages of 11.7 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.3 blocks aren’t anywhere close to what will be expected when the season starts.

Not after he averaged 17.2 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.8 blocks and 1.5 steals last season.

“For me it’s about measuring myself,” said Smith, who insisted that his reaction to Woodson earlier was strictly a tongue-in-cheek showing to get a rise out of everyone — and he later went into Woodson’s office to make sure there was no mistaking his motives. “Coach is right. I do need to crank it up. And we do need to crank it up as a team. And I understand that when Oct. 29 comes I’m going to lay it all on the line. I’m going to play 82 games as hard as I can and do whatever it takes for my team to win, be it rebounding, blocking shots or scoring or whatever it is.”

What Woodson knows is what he says Smith will learn as this season goes on; that when a player goes from his rookie deal to his first big contract — the Hawks matched a $58 offer sheet from Memphis Aug. 15 to keep Smith — expectations rise.

Even in the preseason.

Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson said he went through a similar process three years ago after signing a five-year, $70 million deal to take over as the Hawks’ top player.

“People expect you to come out and perform at the highest level every night,” Johnson said. “And you [expletive] near have to do that. So it’s going to learning experience and a process for him, because he’s never been asked to carry that kind of load. It’ll be tough for him at the start, it was for me, I went through a roller coaster when I first got here.

“But after a while, when you really learn your niche and play to your strengths it’ll come easier. If you don’t recognize that early, though, you’ll continue to struggle.”

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“Listen, it’s getting close to that time and we can’t go into this thing being cool about anything,” Woodson said long after the buzz had died down. “We had a good run last year and that run is over. You’ve got to build on that run. And the only way you do that is through hard work, on the floor and that carrying over into games.

“I’m not letting these guys off the hook. They can think I’m tough or whatever, but we’ve got to be ready. We’ve got to be ready.”

Nice work Woody!

Please don't tell me he's pissing off Smith already. Smith carried them in a number of crutial games last year. Calling a player out by name infront of his peers is very low class. How does he expect Smith to lead if he's perceived as confrontational with him. this is a divide and conquer type move.

Please don't tell me he's pissing off Smith already. Smith carried them in a number of crutial games last year. Calling a player out by name infront of his peers is very low class. How does he expect Smith to lead if he's perceived as confrontational with him. this is a divide and conquer type move.

I disagree. The 2nd highest paid player who also happens to have the most potential of anyone else on the roster should be held accountbale. Josh is a man now and he can and will handle it. The team has to start the season clicking on all cylinders. If Horford and Smith are going to survive as our starting front court that both have to be active, nasty, rebound, and protect rim.

Good job Woody ! I respect Smith for how he handled it too (after his initial temper tantrum).

Player must be held accountable. A head coach playing Mr. Nice Guy will get you no where. Just ask Wade Phillips and Jerry Jones over in Cowboy land.

I don't have a problem with it. Josh needs to know that he is being counted on for big things this year. Even though it's only the preseason, he hasn't performed up to expectations.

I couldn't really care less about that, but Woody has to at least act like he does care. Not being present for the team huddle and just going off what's written here, as long as there was no malicious intent, I don't see the problem. Sounds like basic "get your butt in gear" type of thing.

I think you are over reacting but that's your opinion, just as I have mine.

I understand what Woody is trying to do by lighting a fire, but Josh is far from mentally mature. I hate watching him throw his fits. I would love to see him take a leap, but right now I see a player playing like he just got his big money deal.

There is nothing wrong with a coach calling a player out in front of the team, NOTHING. That is what coaches do, and that's why they're the coach. And this is coming from one of the biggest Woody haters on this board. If JJ is playing like crap I expect him to be called out as well. When players aren't doing what they are supposed to be or aren't playing as well as they should, a good coach calls them out, period.

Woodson spoke the truth he just went about it the wrong way. I dont think Josh was happy that Woody called him out in front of his other teammates. Woodson should have spoken to him privately. Its more professional.

Josh's remarks are kind of childish. I think he was saying it in a sarcastic way.

You've got to be kidding me. Woody did exactly what he should have done. The team needs that confrontation right there, right in front. Woody is the boss and the team needs to execute on a high level Every game, Every practice.

Thursday in Detroit they will be tested. The Pistons will use intimidation. Orlando used it. Woody is right, they better be ready.

Josh can't hide.

How guys are called out is an individual thing and we don't know what works with Snmoove. That's Woody's job.

Makes me think of when Boozer was called out just before the playoffs a couple years ago. Afterward he thanked the guy who did it and said he needed it. Hope Smoove has that maturity.

Woodson spoke the truth he just went about it the wrong way. I dont think Josh was happy that Woody called him out in front of his other teammates. Woodson should have spoken to him privately. Its more professional.

Josh's remarks are kind of childish. I think he was saying it in a sarcastic way.

Nothing wrong at all with what Woody did and I'm not sure how

“Coach is right. I do need to crank it up. And we do need to crank it up as a team. And I understand that when Oct. 29 comes I’m going to lay it all on the line. I’m going to play 82 games as hard as I can and do whatever it takes for my team to win, be it rebounding, blocking shots or scoring or whatever it is.”

is childish.

As far as Josh goes, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as a player who gives his all and plays with passion even though he doesn't always play with smarts. If he looks like he's slacking during the regular season, we're in trouble.

• Premium Member

This board is so incredibly bias!