• Raised $390 of $700 target

Team starts with a bang

DrReality

SEASON OPENER: HAWKS 99, MAGIC 85: Initial statement

Team starts with a bang in thumping division rival

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Orlando —- Maybe that playoff show the Hawks put on last season wasn’t a fluke after all.

After hearing for weeks about their one-hit wonder status and how they wouldn’t be able to carry any of their playoff magic to this season, the Hawks shouted down their doubters with a hair-raising 99-85 blowout victory over Orlando in the season opener for both teams Wednesday night before a sellout crowd of 17,461 at Amway Arena.

They did it with gritty defense, an electrifying tempo, and an offensive performance that included contributions from up and down a new-and-improved roster.

Not only did the Hawks smother their Southeast Division rivals on a night when the Magic threw a huge party to hang their division championship banner from last season and celebrate their 20th anniversary team, they served notice that they intend to be a factor in the race for the division title this season.

“I’ve never heard of a bad win,” said a smiling Hawks forward Mo Evans, a starter for the Magic last season. “But this is the perfect way to open a season, on the road and sending all those people home with a nasty taste in their mouths. It’s even better when you can send a message to the team that won the division last year.”

It was a stunning performance for a Hawks team that won only 12 road games last season. But for all the tough times the Hawks have endured over the years, times could be changing.

They’ve won back-to-back season openers for the first time since the 1997 and 1998. And they also won their road opener for the first time since 1997.

“I think I was in high school then,” Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson joked as he walked to a postgame television interview.

“Listen, you’ve got a bunch of hungry guys in that locker room that got a taste of playoff basketball at its highest level last year,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. “It’s my job to push them to make sure they continue to play at that level because if you do that, you’re going to have nights like this, when you win in grand style.

“I’m not taking anything away from Orlando, because they’re going to be there when it counts. But we just have to take it a game at a time and handle our business.”

The Hawks handled business from the start Wednesday. After trading blows with the Magic for the first four minutes, Josh Smith drained a 21-footer with 7:50 to play in the first quarter that started a 14-0 run, a storm that never let up.

The Hawks led by as many as 18 points in the first half and stretched that lead to as many as 19 after halftime, when they ran through the Magic defense at will on offense and turned them away repeatedly on defense.

Not even a huge second-half effort from Magic All-Star center Dwight Howard (22 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks) could turn things around for the Magic, who never got closer than five points after halftime.

Johnson led the Hawks with 25 points and seven rebounds. Smith finished with 17 points, 10 rebounds, five blocks and four steals. Mike Bibby and Al Horford added 12 and 10 points, respectively. And Flip Murray added 14 off the bench, helping the Hawks’ second unit outscore their Magic counterparts 27-11.

“We just have so many weapons,” Johnson said. “When teams try and lock in on one guy we’re capable of going somewhere else to get what we need. Despite what people say and write about us, we’re a pretty good team. We just have to believe that.”

HAWKS REPORT

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thursday, October 30, 2008

> RESERVES PROVIDE SPARK: Evidence of the Hawks’ improved bench power was on full display in the first half of Wednesday’s season opener against Orlando at Amway Arena.

While the Hawks were busy building their lead to as many as 18 points before halftime, reserves Flip Murray, Zaza Pachulia, Acie Law IV and Solomon Jones were busy getting in on the action.

Murray scored nine points and grabbed three rebounds in 14 minutes. Pachulia added four points and two rebounds and Law three rebounds and two assists.

They outscored their Orlando counterparts 14-5 in the first half.

> EVANS GETS THE NOD: Hawks coach Mike Woodson went with Mo Evans in the starting lineup for Marvin Williams, who did not travel with the team while serving a one-game suspension for the flagrant-foul penalty he received in the Hawks’ Game 7 loss to Boston in the playoffs.

A 47-game starter for the Magic last season, Evans chuckled at the irony of literally starting the season where he finished the last one.

“That’s just the way it goes in this league,” he said. “I guess if you play in this league long enough, you’ll have some of those moments.”

Starting Evans was actually a move Woodson planned to counter the Magic’s use of All-Star center Dwight Howard and on their pick-and-roll sets with point guard Jameer Nelson.

Evans started the game guarding Rashard Lewis, allowing Woodson to put a bigger guard, Joe Johnson, on Nelson and Mike Bibby on Magic shooting guard Mickael Pietrus.

> FLOORED: Pachulia was floored by a Howard elbow to the head with 6:13 to play in the third quarter, drawing Howard’s fourth foul and probably a nice headache this morning

That elbow by Howard to the head of Z looked really bad at first, but in slow motion you can see that it wasn't that much. Z is a good Euro-flopper. I wonder if in the Euro highschools they teach their players how to flop? Everyone of those guys has that move down.

Thoughts on the bench grades:

Props to Zaza for his play last night. He brought his A game to the court and frustrated Howard.

Murray gets an A as well. Dude is exactly what this team has needed since the rebuild.

Acie gets a C+ for just solid play, but gets downgraded for not being aggressive enough. He had open lanes but didn't drive

Evans (I know he started but he's a bench player) B. Solid effort for 40+ minutes. Good defensive energy, but nothing really on offense.

Solo C. Would have liked to seen him get more minutes as he looked good when he was out there, but still not enough offense from him to warrent minutes, I suppose.

I didn't get home from church in time to catch very much of the game, but looking at the box score, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Joe "only" played 35 minutes. I hope the added depth to our bench, especially the guards, will allow Joe some time to rest. I really don't want to see him in the top 3 in minutes again this season.

That elbow by Howard to the head of Z looked really bad at first, but in slow motion you can see that it wasn't that much. Z is a good Euro-flopper. I wonder if in the Euro highschools they teach their players how to flop? Everyone of those guys has that move down.

Thoughts on the bench grades:

Props to Zaza for his play last night. He brought his A game to the court and frustrated Howard.

Murray gets an A as well. Dude is exactly what this team has needed since the rebuild.

Acie gets a C+ for just solid play, but gets downgraded for not being aggressive enough. He had open lanes but didn't drive

Evans (I know he started but he's a bench player) B. Solid effort for 40+ minutes. Good defensive energy, but nothing really on offense.

Solo C. Would have liked to seen him get more minutes as he looked good when he was out there, but still not enough offense from him to warrent minutes, I suppose.

I have to disagree with you on a few things. How do you give Zaza an A with NO defense and Evans a B for no offense when he provided MORE offense than Zaza provided defense. Zaza is a B-. He needs to work on his defense to get an A.

Evans sunk two 3s. One was a clutch shot with the clock winding down. He did provide some offense. He is our Bruce Bowen. Notice I did not say a poor mans Bruce Bowen. His defense is just as good as Bruce if not better. He is starter material....a 47 game starter for the division winners last season. He just takes shots within the flow of the game that doesn't hapmer the offense or chemistry.

Acie I agree. Murray should be a B-. Yes he scored but at times selfish and hoggish. He needs to learn to score in the flow of the game and not feel like he needs to or should put the game on his shoulders. Yes we need bench scoring but in the flow of the game.

Solo, for the minutes he played should get a B-. What he was called in to do in the game he did. He didn't try to force anything. People would mob him out of town if he tried to force some things.

I didn't get home from church in time to catch very much of the game, but looking at the box score, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Joe "only" played 35 minutes. I hope the added depth to our bench, especially the guards, will allow Joe some time to rest. I really don't want to see him in the top 3 in minutes again this season.

Joe had two early fouls in the first, so I think that kept his minutes down vs. Woody actually managing minutes. Sigh.

I thought ZaZa played really well especially on the offensive glass. He had 6 offensive rebounds! He also went to the hole stronger than he usually does. Usually he flops and throws something up and doesn't get a call.

Also, Josh Smith looked great. He played a very smooth and fluid game and didn't turn the ball over. Not once. Which is huge for him. If he can eliminate turnover's, he'll move into the upper echelon of players in this league.

I have to disagree with you on a few things. How do you give Zaza an A with NO defense and Evans a B for no offense when he provided MORE offense than Zaza provided defense. Zaza is a B-. He needs to work on his defense to get an A.

Evans sunk two 3s. One was a clutch shot with the clock winding down. He did provide some offense. He is our Bruce Bowen. Notice I did not say a poor mans Bruce Bowen. His defense is just as good as Bruce if not better. He is starter material....a 47 game starter for the division winners last season. He just takes shots within the flow of the game that doesn't hapmer the offense or chemistry.

Acie I agree. Murray should be a B-. Yes he scored but at times selfish and hoggish. He needs to learn to score in the flow of the game and not feel like he needs to or should put the game on his shoulders. Yes we need bench scoring but in the flow of the game.

Solo, for the minutes he played should get a B-. What he was called in to do in the game he did. He didn't try to force anything. People would mob him out of town if he tried to force some things.

I thought Z did a good job on getting Howard into foul trouble. He got into Howard's game and made him do things he didn't want to do. Z also played good positional defense. But to be literal, I gave Z an A for effort :)

I disagree with the downgrading of Murray. He had Redick on him most of the time. Any time you are a scorer and you have a guy like Redick, you should try to score. His play helped the Hawks maintain a lead. This is something that the Hawks haven't had in 4 years.

Fair enough on Evans.

Solo did what he's supposed to do, thus a C is what he should get. Did not exceed expectations nor did he play below them. His impact was low on both ends of the court as well.

If Flip can come out and hit 50% of his FGs or close to it (which I doubt) then I sure hope he comes in and takes shots and tries to score off the bench. There were a few times last night that I noticed he took a shot that he probably shouldn't have, but Frosgrim is right he is exactly the type of player that we have needed for a few seasons.

If Flip can come out and hit 50% of his FGs or close to it (which I doubt) then I sure hope he comes in and takes shots and tries to score off the bench. There were a few times last night that I noticed he took a shot that he probably shouldn't have, but Frosgrim is right he is exactly the type of player that we have needed for a few seasons.

That is just his game. Get used to it.

However there could be a silver lining to Murray's selfishness. Last year Smith had the ball too much and was frequently put in the position of having to create offense which isn't his forte.

With Murray out there Smith isn't going to be forced to be a playmaker as often and will be forced to move without the ball or crash the boards to get his points. While Murray's playmaking ability may be weak in relation to other pgs he is certainly better at it than Smith.

That is just his game. Get used to it.

However there could be a silver lining to Murray's selfishness. Last year Smith had the ball too much and was frequently put in the position of having to create offense which isn't his forte.

With Murray out there Smith isn't going to be forced to be a playmaker as often and will be forced to move without the ball or crash the boards to get his points. While Murray's playmaking ability may be weak in relation to other pgs he is certainly better at it than Smith.

Good point on Murray forcing Smith to be a more flow player. For me, the Murray's contribution is having a player that can keep the scoring up when JJ sits. I really hope that Woodson plays JJ about 38 a night, at least through the first 1/2 of the season to keep him rested and fresh for the stretch.

Last night was just a great example of what the Hawks have lacked for so long, a scorer off the bench. I am fine with Murray shooting a low-ish % as long as he gets his points.

The best thing I noticed last night was the attitude when the Magic had a little spurt in 4th. Last year and beyond guys would hang their head, slump up the court, look around.

Last night? wow, I saw nobody doing that, guys actually kind of bucked up as to say 'I'll take care of this" Even though Joe took over, it wasn't like he HAD to.

The best thing I noticed last night was the attitude when the Magic had a little spurt in 4th. Last year and beyond guys would hang their head, slump up the court, look around.

Last night? wow, I saw nobody doing that, guys actually kind of bucked up as to say 'I'll take care of this" Even though Joe took over, it wasn't like he HAD to.

Even better, Joe was rested enough to just take the game over. But, I agree, that game last year would have been lost. Evens and Murray really made the difference in keeping it all together. Woodson didn't even have to call the strange time-outs he usually does. Wait, he did make one strange T/O towards the end of the 2nd, but I think that was because substitutions got messed up.

Maurice Evans really impressed me last night. He was all over the floor hustling and making 110% effort. He is faster and more athletic than Childress. I wasn't expecting a world beater, but he exceeded what I had hoped. I think we got a great pickup in Evans.

• Premium Member
Maurice Evans really impressed me last night. He was all over the floor hustling and making 110% effort. He is faster and more athletic than Childress. I wasn't expecting a world beater, but he exceeded what I had hoped. I think we got a great pickup in Evans.

And it wasn't even one of his best games, either.

JJ continued to have that player of the month look that he finished up with last year. I don't know why he was off part of last year (injury?) but as long as he plays like that we'll get a 4th to 7th seed. He got us off to a hot start then carried us when the game became somewhat of a game in the third. He even had a nice dunk.

JSmoove played under control and looked great. Zaza had the third best game in my mind. He seemed to have the spark back that he had two years ago. Even his bacne looked better..lol.

Most of the rest of the players looked as expected to me. Bibby was better than lot's of last year but he should be, he's not injured. Acie was a little more assertive but still has a way to go. Actually Horford and Solo both not being more aggressive was about the only slight negative that I saw. I would have put Morris in to slow down Howard in the third/fourth. I'm sure they have practiced against each other tons and Morris would have put in extra effort against his friend.

I even liked seeing Speedy on the bench in his usual velvet jacket. If he's gonna show up in a suit all this year he needs to at least expand his wardrobe. I assume it'll take an injury to Bibby or Acie to get him back into the rotation.

Sekou's article was spot on. This is a different Hawks team this year. This team HAS turned the corner. Those playoff games made a big difference and we are hungary for more. Zaza seems to be a new man. Horford is back to being a double double machine. JJ is a stud. Smoove proved his value with an amazing stat line.

Only concerns:

-Bibby's was "0 fer" on his 3's, but many of them were rimming out.

-Acie needs to penetrate more often

-Foul shooting needs to improve, but that is probably just a new season thing.

-Al's post game needs to improve

This is a talented bunch folks...especially if Marvin steps it up. We should be in for a fun ride this year!