• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress Referendum

gsuteke

Should the Hawks try to resign Childress next season or beyond  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw a game last night from start to finish that Atlanta would have lost last season. The reason they won that game IMO was perimeter shooting. The people they brought in to replace Childress in Evans and Flip Murray may not have the raw talent of a Josh Childress, however they are far superior pieces in respect to overall team building.

We've been yelling and screaming for the past two years to add complimentary pieces and at this point it seems to me like losing Childress was dare I say addition by subtraction.

Please feel free to argue the other side. I'd like to know your thoughts on the subject.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where would he play? Whose minutes would he take?

I'd rather see Flip Murray and Evans out there.

In hindsight after watching the 1st 3 games of this new Atlanta Hawks team I just don't see Childress as a fit

Ha, I've said this for a while and been told by D that I was "pissing" on Chil. The other thing you don't mention is that Chil would have to spend time guarding Paul... that isn't something I'd want to see.

I wish the best to Josh, he seems like a truly cool guy, the type I'd like to hang out with even - not something I'd say about everyone, but I didn't like him with this unit and wanted us to move him for a shooter, a big, a backup point guard, or a pick.

As far as "having him back," I'm not sure how realistic it is. Atlanta isn't going to offer him a contract competitive with what he makes now because of pride, if nothing else. Chil isn't going to accept less for the same reason. If he wants to come back to the NBA and some team thinks he could be the missing peice, I'd love to facilitate that and snag a little bonus out of it but I'd almost say that it would be fine to release him if you can't find anyone.

Its obvious now that having a perimeter shooter is critical, at the 3 or 1 alongside Joe with the way this teams roster is built. Childress strengths highlighted our teams strengths last year, but his deficiency was also the highlight of our team. I hope he works on his shot/perimeter game. But his game would still fit better with other teams, especially veteran heavy teams.

I think we will see woodson play whomever is hitting their jumpers at the 1 and 3 alongside Joe at crunch times for the rest of the season. So its tough to see where Josh would fit for 35min a game...

Love his streamlined and efficient game though, he will find his way back to NBA and possibly a starter..

I wouldn't want Childress at the expense of Evans and Flip but I think there could be plenty of minutes for him to come back and backup Marvin at the 3. Flip can backup the 1 and Evans can backup the 2. There is plenty of shooting with those 2 to more than make up for Childress not being a good outside shooter.

• Moderators

If we can add Chills without giving up pieces like Flip and Evans, I am all for that. He is a player who would be an assett on every team in the league. He would just have to be willing to accept a smaller role on the court because he wouldn't be playing point forward or anything like that. He would be a reserve forward or a replacement for Marvin if he gets signed for big money by someone we aren't going to match.

It's not about the wins and losses right now. It's about the superior brand of basketball they're allowed to play because the roster has been filled out finally minus maybe another quality Center.

Bookmarking this and coming back to it later won't change the fact that the Hawks can now stretch defenses with their perimeter shooting now due mainly to personnel changes - not to mention the positive affect that'll have on Joe now since teams can't double and triple team him constantly without fear of that 3 point dagger.

Would I want Childress back. Sure. He would be an asset to our present team.

Would I be willing to pay big $$$ to have him here. Nope.

Would he be willing to come back here to Atlanta and be a role player? Probably not.

He wants to be a starter, now more than ever after his present tour.

With that being said, If another NBA team wanted him and made us a nice offer for

the right to sign him, I believe Atlanta would be wise to look closely at the offer. We

lost him, as it stands right now, for nothing. We shouldn't give him away for nothing

but if the right deal were offered, do it.

:nono:

We've been yelling and screaming for the past two years to add complimentary pieces and at this point it seems to me like losing Childress was dare I say addition by subtraction.

That is what i was saying last season. Childress is nothing more than a role player and your role players have to fit your team. Childress didn't fit at all.

There are only so many minutes and $$ to go around. There is no point spending $6 million/yr or whatever it would take to keep him when he doesn't fit the team.

• Premium Member
Ha, I've said this for a while and been told by D that I was "pissing" on Chil. The other thing you don't mention is that Chil would have to spend time guarding Paul... that isn't something I'd want to see.

I wish the best to Josh, he seems like a truly cool guy, the type I'd like to hang out with even - not something I'd say about everyone, but I didn't like him with this unit and wanted us to move him for a shooter, a big, a backup point guard, or a pick.

As far as "having him back," I'm not sure how realistic it is. Atlanta isn't going to offer him a contract competitive with what he makes now because of pride, if nothing else. Chil isn't going to accept less for the same reason. If he wants to come back to the NBA and some team thinks he could be the missing peice, I'd love to facilitate that and snag a little bonus out of it but I'd almost say that it would be fine to release him if you can't find anyone.

To answer the question, yes we do want him back. The reason, he still represents a 1st round pick we spent and there must be some recouped value.

As far as present tense... I think you will be surprised by CHillz when he comes back into the league. I think going to Europe was the best thing for Chillz' game. If you have watched any of the highlights of Chillz, you will see that he has added scoring off the dribble to his arsenal. That along with being a guy who is leading his team is going to give him a fantastic skill set.

About our bench three games in... I say remember the histories. These guys are journey for a reason. Flip is not the most consistent guy on the team. You love Flip when he's hitting but what happens when he's not? Evans is a different story. There's definitely more value with Evans... but not enough value to make Chillz of no value.

I voted yes because why wouldn't you want a solid ball player like Josh on your team. However, I can also understand why some may vote no. Some fans may feel hurt or upset with how Josh left the team. But you have to understand he did it because staying with the Hawks was not consistent with his career growth plans. He wants to start.

Yes. Unqualified yes.

I don't see how having him takes away from anything else that's going on. Josh Childress didn't take a lot of shots or disrupt the offense, so there's no reason he wouldn't be able to share the floor with most combinations of players. Right now, we don't really have anyone on the bench with Chills' approximate skillset-he's good in transition and gets back quickly on defense. Having him would only add to the team, not subtract.

People are posing the question as "Murray and Evans or Childress?" Well, Mo Evans is a guy I think we should have added anyway, regardless of whether had kept Josh or not. He was certainly affordable if we had resigned Childress at just over the MLE, which is fair enough. Flip I could live without, but if Acie is going to continue to play like he has and we still don't have Claxton, I guess he's kind of a necessary evil. Flip has done a pretty good job thus far, so I'm holding out hope that he pans out, but he's been in the league long enough to establish what kind of player he is.

As for Evans, I think he's a nice player, but honestly, he hasn't impressed through three games. I think he will eventually, but his defense hasn't been great, he's missed some easy shots, and he isn't a great finisher in transition. He's made up for it by hitting some threes, but if Bibby could hit consistently and Marvin is able to keep knocking them down, three point shooting is not going to remain a glaring weakness on this team.

The Hawks are winning because they're playing great defense. The offense has been serviceable, but aside from JJ, who's been great, it kind of stinks right now. (An aside, Horford is doing a great job too, just not getting quite enough usage.) When Joe isn't on the floor, I'm really worried about anybody's ability to find and take a good shot. One thing I never worried about with Childress was shot selection, and it's been a problem for the Hawks so far. 'Nique was commenting on it last night several times.

• Premium Member
Yes. Unqualified yes.

I don't see how having him takes away from anything else that's going on. Josh Childress didn't take a lot of shots or disrupt the offense, so there's no reason he wouldn't be able to share the floor with most combinations of players. Right now, we don't really have anyone on the bench with Chills' approximate skillset-he's good in transition and gets back quickly on defense. Having him would only add to the team, not subtract.

The funniest part of this argument is that it's blatantly Chillz hate. Who wouldn't want to add a good player to a team? Chillz was not a cancer. Chillz was not a ball hog. Hell, most of Chillz points came on putbacks that he worked for. So the real question is why wouldn't you want to add another good player to your lineup. Even if you sat him on the bench and he played 6 minutes a game as our 9th man.... Why wouldn't you want to add a good player to your lineup? Especially a good citizen. A good lockerroom guy. A guy who will do dirty work? A guy who loved the fans and the city.

Ok, let's try this...

The Boston Celtics wants to give us Leon Powe. They don't want picks or players just cash considerations.... They say that Powe really like the fans of Atlanta.

Who here doesn't want Powe?