• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Panic?

buckeye242424

Reading some of the posts, I sense many people are in "panic mode" right now. Obviously, we need to improve, that's a given, but I'm ok were we are right now. How many of you would have taken a 12-9 start when we were 0-0. I would have. I think the 6-0 start was awesome, and I loved it...but every team has a string of wins at some point in the season, ours just happened to be at the very beginning. After tonight, the worst we can be is 12-10 with 8 straight at home where we have played very well (knock on wood). There's a good chance we could be somewhere around 18-13 heading into 09, right in the thick of the playoff mix...

• Premium Member
Reading some of the posts, I sense many people are in "panic mode" right now. Obviously, we need to improve, that's a given, but I'm ok were we are right now. How many of you would have taken a 12-9 start when we were 0-0.

How many times do we have to hear this stupid argument? And for the record, I was concerned long before we started losing. My concern has always been that we don't play sound fundamental basketball and have not designed an offense that takes advantage of our player's strengths. We constantly play the wrong players in the wrong roles too much. And we do not experiment with potential match up advantages.

• Moderators

12-9 is good but for last few weeks we're playing sub-.500 ball and we're seeing the same problems causing our bad games as we've seen the last 3 years.

On November 6th we were 3-0. since then these are the only teams we've beaten:

Toronto (9-12)

Oklahoma(2-21)

Chicago(10-11)

Washington twice(4-16)

Charlotte (7-16)

Milwaukee (9-15)

Memphis (7-15)

New York (10-12)

The only teams we've beaten that have a winning record so far this year are Orlando and New Orleans. So the good news is we're winning games we are supposed to win for the most part (except Indy). But we can't beat the better teams.

How many times do we have to hear this stupid argument? And for the record, I was concerned long before we started losing. My concern has always been that we don't play sound fundamental basketball and have not designed an offense that takes advantage of our player's strengths. We constantly play the wrong players in the wrong roles too much. And we do not experiment with potential match up advantages.

OMG that is PURE BS!!!! Do I need to go back and find the posts where you were calling me out for trying to get people to stop calling us the best team in the east and all that? You were so elated over that start that nobody could say a negative thing about the team without you making some sort of comment.

• Premium Member
How many times do we have to hear this stupid argument? Just watch the games and quit whining. Jesus.

How many times do we have to hear this stupid argument about hearing this stupid argument about this stupid argument?

This thread has me confused...

• Premium Member
OMG that is PURE BS!!!! Do I need to go back and find the posts where you were calling me out for trying to get people to stop calling us the best team in the east and all that? You were so elated over that start that nobody could say a negative thing about the team without you making some sort of comment.

I can also pull up threads where you were accusing me of being negative about barely beating bad teams so take your best shot!

I can also pull up threads where you were accusing me of being negative about barely beating bad teams so take your best shot!

Yeah it was called sarcasm based on the irony of the things you were saying from the beginning of the season. Basically you being a hypocrite as you did in this thread.

• Premium Member
Yeah it was called sarcasm based on the irony of the things you were saying from the beginning of the season. Basically you being a hypocrite as you did in this thread.

Could it be possible that the team played differently at the beginning of the season as oppose to the way they have played lately? Could have possible object to the fact that the ball stop moving later in the season which I clearly stated in many of my post? Or we stopped rebounding. or we went to more Iso Joe? Or flip Murray started ball hogging and Acie was left out in the cold? I'm not sure what you are trying to say so please be a little clearer!

Could it be possible that the team played differently at the beginning of the season as oppose to the way they have played lately? Could have possible object to the fact that the ball stop moving later in the season which I clearly stated in many of my post? Or we stopped rebounding. or we went to more Iso Joe? Or flip Murray started ball hogging and Acie was left out in the cold? I'm not sure what you are trying to say so please be a little clearer!

My point is that even when we were 6-0 we still had problems and when I (or others) dared to mention them you chastised them for it and said they weren't real fans. Now we've lost some games and all of the sudden is okay according to you to talk about the same problems that we had back then. So basically:

Being a Hawks fan according to Peoriabird

6-0 and mention where the Hawks are deficient --> not a real Hawks fan.

12-9 and mention where the Hawks are deficient --> perfectly acceptable.

Is that clear enough for you?

• Premium Member
My point is that even when we were 6-0 we still had problems and when I (or others) dared to mention them you chastised them for it and said they weren't real fans. Now we've lost some games and all of the sudden is okay according to you to talk about the same problems that we had back then. So basically:

Being a Hawks fan according to Peoriabird

6-0 and mention where the Hawks are deficient --> not a real Hawks fan.

12-9 and mention where the Hawks are deficient --> perfectly acceptable.

Is that clear enough for you?

You have to find a quote to support your claim because I am still not following you

You have to find a quote to support your claim because I am still not following you

I'd be delighted to:

Main thread link:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....howtopic=334033

Link to the below quote:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....st&p=351304

Peoriabird @ Nov 12 2008, 10:30 PM)

Not saying that you have taken it to the level of Smoovethefuture but who listens to that guy? Just kind of disappointing when a moderator doesn't show strong support for a team that is doing everything this year that we begged for last year. Anyway no problem

Dolfan23 @ Nov 13 2008, 09:07 AM)

So I don't show strong support? What is strong support in your mind?

I think you'd be hard pressed to get many people to agree with you there. I have supported this team for 22 years and I watch every game and cheer for them and get excited when they win and disappointed when they lose. I spend HOURS every day on this site reading, posting, and developing the site. I'm the same vocal fan when they are almost the best team in the league (late 80's) and when they're the worst or near worst team in the league (recent years). That's my definition of strong support. So again, please tell me what your definition of strong support is.

Haha, when I first read the title of this post I decided to not read it. The reason I didn't read it was because I thought it had something to do with Widespread Panic and figured someone was going to talk about their banner in Philips Arena, boy was I wrong.

• Moderators
Apart from the ongoing argument . . . . . how we deal with the current issue has a lot to do with maturity and how we grow up. Learning how to make through these tough times has to be dealt with.

Are you talking about the players or the posters in this thread?

• Premium Member
Not saying that you have taken it to the level of Smoovethefuture but who listens to that guy? Just kind of disappointing when a moderator doesn't show strong support for a team that is doing everything this year that we begged for last year. Anyway no problem

And like I said earlier in this thread, the team was doing everything that we thought that that they were capable of doing early in the season. Now they are not so where is the contradiction I ask again?

• Premium Member
Apart from the ongoing argument . . . . . how we deal with the current issue has a lot to do with maturity and how we grow up. Learning how to make through these tough times has to be dealt with.

Nice perspective. The team needs to mature. We have the talent but the play tends to get a little crazy when things get tough. We're learning to COMPETE on the road but we haven't learned to WIN. We've made some furious comebacks and runs against some pretty good teams but we fall short at the end. But I'm encouraged by the "fight" I see from the team. The issues we have will hopefully get better as the team continues to play together and gets on the same page. It just looks too much like a bunch of individuals out there rather than a cohesive unit. Honestly, most of our problems seem chemistry related and that is fixable. The guys just need to find the rhythm they had at the beginning of the season where everyone seemed to play their roles so well.

How many times do we have to hear this stupid argument? And for the record, I was concerned long before we started losing.

Oops

I remember you calling out Dolfan during our fast start. I would say Dolfan leans to the homer side of fanhood. If i remember right he predicted us to win nearly 50 games, if not 50 exactly, during the offseason.

• Premium Member
Oops

I remember you calling out Dolfan during our fast start. I would say Dolfan leans to the homer side of fanhood. If i remember right he predicted us to win nearly 50 games, if not 50 exactly, during the offseason.

This isn't a discussion about someone's fanhood! In that earlier post, the team had played great and the board didn't seem happy. Kinda like a response you would get from Diesel if Marvin hit 30 and I didn't understand. This thread made it seem as though everything was O.K. because we are 12-9 which is not the case because the team has gotten away from the things that made them so successful in the beginning of the season. This has nothing to do with Fanhood!

Edited by Peoriabird