• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Resigning Bibby is a must..

AtLaS

:beer:

He's been IMO our 2nd most important player this season. He stretches the floor, makes smart plays for the most part (save the jump passes), and has been extremely consistent with his jumper.

Yes, he's been playing a long time, but he's not the type of player to decline with age since he doesn't use athleticism to define his game. He's a quick release jump shooter who thrives on running the pick and roll and setting people up for high percentage shots. We could sign him for a 3-4 year deal and feel secure. It's no coincidence that we are 21-10 when we finally have a capable PG for the first time in 10 years. IMO, we're a .500 team at best without him.

I agree with you 1,000%. Mike Bibby is the reason the Hawks are doing so well this year. A good point guard makes a world of difference; and one that can shoot as well as distribute doesn't hurt either! Joe Johnson is playing at the top of his game because of Bibby. Maybe we can finally stop saying "if we had only drafted -- instead of Marvin Williams". Notice Marvin Williams is playing better too! Picking up "Flip" and "Mo" were great acquistions as well.

The only thing that still bothers me is probably the same thing that bothers Woodson- the erractic play of Josh Smith. Yes the guy is great and has fantastic potential but he makes as many bonehead plays as he does great plays so they tend to cancel each other out. If this guy can ever finally mature and play smart, the Hawks will be unstoppable!

I do agree though that Bibbs is more free here to just take shots. Still, I bet he doesn't repeat this years performance again in his career. But it's just me to never give guys the benefit of the doubt.

So who do you propose we replace him with? You can't let key players walk and expect to compete.

It's just you being pessimistic, again. Of course I don't expect him to shoot 44% from the 3pt line forever, but even if he's at 38+ (his career average) that's extremely valuable, it stretches the floor, and his ability to run the P&R will not suddenly disappear. Solid PGs who can shoot are tough to come by and you don't let them walk over a few million. That's unless you'd rather save money and tune in to the Lue show again.

I don't mind re-signing Bibby, but im not paying him a salary that will have my hands tied or have the team strapped.

Bibby is 30 years old right now. He can't play any D and we dont know how he is going to play next year or the year after that. I would offer Bibby somewhere around the 8-9 million mark. I really dont think any other team is going to offer Bibby big money. Not a championship team, they dont need another shooting guard and to me Bibby is not a true PG.

I would re-sign Marvin. he is only 22 years old. And if i can get FLip and MO back with a little raise but still cheap. I would take them back also.

• Premium Member
I don't mind re-signing Bibby, but im not paying him a salary that will have my hands tied or have the team strapped.

Bibby is 30 years old right now. He can't play any D and we dont know how he is going to play next year or the year after that. I would offer Bibby somewhere around the 8-9 million mark. I really dont think any other team is going to offer Bibby big money. Not a championship team, they dont need another shooting guard and to me Bibby is not a true PG.

I would re-sign Marvin. he is only 22 years old. And if i can get FLip and MO back with a little raise but still cheap. I would take them back also.

Mo signed a 3 year contract

So who do you propose we replace him with? You can't let key players walk and expect to compete.

It's just you being pessimistic, again. Of course I don't expect him to shoot 44% from the 3pt line forever, but even if he's at 38+ (his career average) that's extremely valuable, it stretches the floor, and his ability to run the P&R will not suddenly disappear. Solid PGs who can shoot are tough to come by and you don't let them walk over a few million. That's unless you'd rather save money and tune in to the Lue show again.

The problem is that you can't give the whole team 10 million each. You can't have JJ, Bibbs, Josh all making 10-15 million and be able to keep Marvin and Al... And be able to get bench help.

it's really all about money. i'm sure nobody will be mad signing him for the minimum and everybody will hate if he's signing for a max deal. i think he's also in the right situation with the right team. hope he's sign for the right money. much like what the pistons or the spurs would do, not overpay any player.

• Premium Member
Peja wasn't the leading scorer, but was still a 20+ PPG player. Peja was a better shooter in those days than JJ is now. Plus there was Webber and others that the other team had the worry about. Here, teams lay off Josh Smith and leave him open and you don't have to worry about Al that much because he rarely makes a true big difference as a scorer.

I do agree though that Bibbs is more free here to just take shots. Still, I bet he doesn't repeat this years performance again in his career. But it's just me to never give guys the benefit of the doubt.

Don't miss the bus here with stats...

Peja in no way played the same role for Sac-town that Joe plays for us. Joe is playing a superstar's game while Peja was playing the role of a guy waiting for the ball. IN their high powered offense, it was easy for Peja to score 20 because he was always open. That's the same thing that Bibs have here. Bib can make himself the second option anytime he wants because Joe creates such a big gap in the defense AND because it's harder to trust Smoove and Marvin. Bibs is the governor.

• Premium Member
I thought Miller would be good for this team before. Not now. He isn't a good enough shooter to be in the same lineup with Josh and Marvin. We would be back to only having one shooter in the starting lineup. I'm not convinced that Marvin is a 3pt shooter yet. It will take more than 1 good month for me to believe it.

I think Miller would be different... possibly better. The truth is that Bibby fits our team with Joe not having to change his role. It's like Dirk having JT. However, Miller has the know how to get guys the ball in their spots and to actually cause Movement in the offensive scheme. Miller here would challenge Paul and Nash for assists because he would have too many finishers to work with PLUS Joe Johnson. But Joe's game would have to change. Joe would have to be willing to not be the main ball handler. His scoring may also go down because Miller is a better distributor. I think having Miller might be better for the "team".. in that if Joe went down (god forbid) all would not be lost.

• Premium Member
I don't see resigning Bibby as a must. I think we could go cheaper and better routes to Bibby unless we get a sweet deal from him.

I think we can go cheaper... But Better is another story. I think the reason our offense works so well is because of Bibby. We've watched Mo and Flip litterally disappear since their hot start... but still our offense shows up and we win. Why? Mo and Flip were not the reason behind our winning in the first place. They contributed... but really the success lies in the hands of Bibby. Dude is getting 5.3 apg and is shooting 44% from the 3 pt line. When you consider that he shoots about 6 3 pters a game that's very significant.

Name some better, cheaper routes?

The closest name I can come up with is Steve Blake... and it's very unlikely that he will leave PTL... they have a ton of cash to spend and they like him too. The truth is that anybody we pick will be over 6 Million per... which is cheaper but we won't get as good a fit as Bibby. In fact, in most of the cases I see, we will have to change our team to accommodate the incoming player.